Can You Pass The Life In The UK Test?

I assume Q1 is not about rugby league?

Of the four options given only two were a battle between Great Britain and France.

I assume Q1 is not about rugby league?
Perhaps that's why it's reported just 42% of native brits achieve the 75% pass mark on 24 questions with 45 minutes to answer. It is astonishing, but would-be immigrants can just keep on retaking the test (£50 a pop) until they pass!

45 minutes to answer 24 questions??!

(It doesn't matter that relatively few natives can pass the test, although it does call into question their standard of general knowledge.)

The only reason I got that one wrong is because they are so close in date. This may be confirmation bias, but I think that would fox a lot of people.

Of the four options given only two were a battle between Great Britain and France.
Really? I count French involvement in all four of them. I suppose you might argue about what counts as Great Britain over those historical periods.

Last edited:
1: b) Waterloo (1815 vs 1805 for Trafalgar, 1415 for Agincourt, 1066 for Hastings)
2: a) Daffodil (rose for England, shamrock for Ireland, thistle for Scotland)
3: c) Fire (Great Fire of London, 1666)
4: c) Every five years
5: a) True
6: a) True
7: c) Boudicca
8: b) Winston Churchill
9: a) House of Lords & c) House of Commons
10: b) 1928
11: d) The Monarch
12: c) Horse racing
13: b) December 25
14: a) Poems (Who knew? I didn't; although I do know what the Canterbury Tales are, I had no idea they are delivered in poetic form.)
15: d) Cavaliers (Roundheads were the Parliament forces under Cromwell; Suffragettes were the supporters of votes for women in the 1920's; Quakers are a religious group.)

Last edited:
Oh dear! Shall I queue up for Rwanda? Five wrong!
Although Scottish money is usually accepted, I wasn't sure it was valid everywhere. I'd forgotten the Monarch was the head if the church. And as for the other three Canterbury /Women voting/French battle, just poor knowledge.

Oh dear! Shall I queue up for Rwanda? Five wrong!
So? Make the questions even tougher – it's only the luvvy lefties who think citizenship tests should be passable by existing citizens. When are people going to realise we are in competition for survival, not co-operation for survival?

Although Scottish money is usually accepted, I wasn't sure it was valid everywhere. I'd forgotten the Monarch was the head if the church. And as for the other three Canterbury /Women voting/French battle, just poor knowledge.
I got Q10 right by eliminating the unlikely answers: 1948 seems too late, 1938 is during WWII, and 1918 is during or just after WWI. I was watching The Chase on Friday, and in the Final Chase the stupid girl kept buzzing in and passing on questions which had an evens chance of being right on a guess. As for Scottish money, I've seen shops not accepting it, but shops can set their own rules.

Make the test relevant to UK/British values.
I will start it off with ..............
(1) When is it ok to spit on the pavement ?
a) Whenever you want to
b) When you are able to hack up enough phlegm
c) Never
d) When nobody is looking

The problem with that is GenZ no longer subscribe to "British values".
What are British values?
The term appears to have been introduced into schools in 2014, so GenZ (born 1995-2012) should have been taught the 5 fundamental/core values.
  • Democracy
  • The Rule of Law
  • Individual Liberty
  • Mutual Respect
  • Tolerance of Different Faiths and Beliefs
Difficult to believe the majority of former/prospective MPs subscribe to all those values. (Gerrymandering constituency boundaries, voting age; illegally prorogating parliament, Partygate, Currygate, insider betting; ?; slanging matches during debates; anti-Semitism and Islamaphobia). So, not just GenZ then?

The term appears to have been introduced into schools in 2014, so GenZ (born 1995-2012) should have been taught the 5 fundamental/core values.
  • Democracy
  • The Rule of Law
  • Individual Liberty
  • Mutual Respect
  • Tolerance of Different Faiths and Beliefs
Seems a reasonable idea on the face of it, but why is this a school subject? Children should be taught good behaviour by parents, family, and community, and that's what's not happening these days (apparently) because (perhaps) both children and family spend more time interacting with their phones than each other. Delegating this to schools results in it becoming ideology rather than common decency, and politicised.

All the above are OK as they stand, but they have been inflated by the liberal left to imply that "tolerance" now means "bend over backwards to accommodate". I don't see the vociferous gay/transgender lobbyists giving much respect or tolerance to my views and beliefs!

Have you ever been tut-tutted for (eg) continuing a phone conversation at 11am on 11th November? How tolerant is that? I'll do my remembrance on the appropriate Sunday, thank you very much.

Don't "British Values" include such things as table manners, queueing, not littering, respect for other's personal property, doing the right thing even when there's nobody looking? All these could come under the headings above, but if they are being taught properly why are GenZ not subscribing to them? Rhetorical, because I know why: their parents were not taught those things, and their parents were raised in the let-it-all-hang-out-encourage-freedom-of-expression '60's/'70's.

Or they've come in from elsewhere without those traditions, which is why I think it is important to underline them.

Also, people behave badly when they are not overseen by their community (witness the behaviour of Brits abroad). Incomers are leaving their overseeing communities behind.

witness the behaviour of Brits abroad
Some Brits abroad. I've always behaved myself when abroad (and not because the Polizei carry guns).
Have you ever been tut-tutted for (eg) continuing a phone conversation at 11am on 11th November? How tolerant is that? I'll do my remembrance on the appropriate Sunday, thank you very much.
No I haven't.
Some people don't do the right thing when people are watching! Would you come back early from D-Day commemorations?
were raised in the let-it-all-hang-out-encourage-freedom-of-expression '60's/'70's.
I must have missed out on that!

Really? I count French involvement in all four of them. I suppose you might argue about what counts as Great Britain over those historical periods.
Hastings and Agincourt were England vs France, no debate about that. Great Britain is the geographical largest island ie includes Scotland.

Back