Can You Pass The Life In The UK Test?

14: a) Poems (Who knew? I didn't; although I do know what the Canterbury Tales are, I had no idea they are delivered in poetic form.)
I'd argue of the list given they are Fables. But I would also argue they're not really any of the 4 answers given. That one is going to be a random number generator for most of the UK population.

I'd argue of the list given they are Fables.
That's the answer I chose as well, so to get that question right a sitter would have to have mugged up the required answers rather than the correct answers. I never did particularly well in tests for that reason!

From the wikipedia entry:

The tales (mostly written in verse, although some are in prose)

So "poem" isn't right. They're not fables either, because isn't a fable is supposed to illustrate some moral principle?

Interesting that not a single word appears about British colonial history and it's disastrous effects on so many former colonies, e.g. Cyprus, Palestine Northern Ireland, India/Pakistan the list is too long for comfort.

Does this "Life in the UK" test ever change? If not, what's to stop people just learning what the answers are?
The questions change every time the test is taken. The 24 questions are selected from a database of more than 24 questions. All answers to the questions in the current database can be found in the handbook: Life in the United Kingdom: A guide for new residents, 3rd edition.

Yes, entrants are allowed to learn the handbook, and doing so will be learning the answers, but it is very dry if used on its own.

Interesting that not a single word appears about British colonial history and it's disastrous effects on so many former colonies, e.g. Cyprus, Palestine Northern Ireland, India/Pakistan the list is too long for comfort.
Not interesting at all, you're just pushing the leftie luvvy woke agenda.

Not interesting at all, you're just pushing the leftie luvvy woke agenda.
I think it's more that almost all Brits have no idea how much damage British colonisation did to every colony, with much of that legacy still having serious consequences for today's geo politics. Given most Brits are totally ignorant of this it is arguably correct that a test about being British omits it. But then most Brits know very little of half the questions quoted at the start of this thread anyway.

Back