Can you rewind a Live Broadcast and Record from the Start of a show?

bradavon

My old Freeview Humax PVR-9200T I could rewind a Live Broadcast and Record from the Start of a show.

But my existing YouView Humax DTR-T2000 even if I rewind the live broadcast and press Record it'll only start recording from the moment you press record. You can't record from the buffer. Which is infuriating if you miss the start of a programme.

Can you rewind a Live Broadcast and Record from the Start of a show with the Humax FVP-4000T?

Thanks

I've had a lot of dvrs and they alllllll record the whole show from the beginning although I've never tried on the 4000
Btw you don't have to rewind all the way to the beginning to record from the beginning you just press record half way through and it will record programme from the beginning

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

Btw you don't have to rewind all the way to the beginning to record from the beginning you just press record half way through and it will record programme from the beginning
Not on an HDR-FOX T2 - so I assume you are talking specifically about the FVP-4000T.

Not on an HDR-FOX T2 - so I assume you are talking specifically about the FVP-4000T.
Not even tried it on the 4000 just loads of other dvrs since my first Philips one way back in 2003
I'm amazed the Fox 2 has to because technically reeeeeeewinding through digital memory just to save it is as redundant as vhs and I would be disappointed if you have to do that on the 4000

HD/HDR-FOX:

Press the record button and you get from "now" (including the virtual "now" of time-shifted live) to the end of programme (as defined but be EPG start time of the next programme), no padding and no AR. Press the record button a second time and it provides options to modify the end point of the recording.

To record the whole programme from the start (after it has started) requires using the TSR to scroll back the virtual "now" to the point you want the recording to start (if that point is in the buffer).

How many PVRs do you actually have experience of? If you've not tested the PVR in question, you don't know what it does.

I just pressed record on the 4000 and it record/saves the whole program from the beginning as I would anticipate

Youview can't do this either. You can only record from the point you press Record.

This is despite it being "buffered" for the next 2 hours as soon as you turn on to that channel. I think this is because Youview saves the "Rewind Live TV" buffer to Flash memory not the HDD. It's really annoying though. If I forget to record the start I have to search for Repeats to record instead.

Youview can't do this either. You can only record from the point you press Record.

This is despite it being "buffered" for the next 2 hours as soon as you turn on to that channel. I think this is because Youview saves the "Rewind Live TV" buffer to Flash memory not the HDD. It's really annoying though. If I forget to record the start I have to search for Repeats to record instead.
I'm not sure what you mean by You View can't do it because that's not a DVR that's just the TV Guide
but you don't have to worry about the 4000 (which also uses you view tv guide) because when you press record it will save the whole program from beginning to end no matter when you press it
Just as all the DVR that I've ever owned works

The DTR-1000 etc are branded "YouView".

Just as all the DVR that I've ever owned works
Which, unless you are a masochist with very deep pockets, is bound to be only a small fraction of all the PVRs that have ever been on the market (yes - "PVR" not "DVR").

I'm not sure what you mean by You View can't do it because that's not a DVR that's just the TV Guide
YouView is a platform. It's more than a TV Guide. All YouView PVRs have the same software installed no matter who makes the box. And Youview you can't Rewind back to record the buffer.

but you don't have to worry about the 4000 (which also uses you view tv guide) because when you press record it will save the whole program from beginning to end no matter when you press it. Just as all the DVR that I've ever owned works
Which PVR are you talking about?

This isn't how these PVRs work:

Humax HDR-FOX T2 (need to rewind before you press record) = Freeview+ PVR
Humax DTR-T2000 (can only record "from the point" you press record) = Youview PVR

The following PVR you can just press Record and it'll automatically record the programme you're currently watching. No need to Rewind first:

Humax FVP-4000T = Freeview Play PVR

All 3 platforms utilise Freeview for their Broadcast TV content but all three are different platforns. Freeview Play is an updated version of Freeview+

Correct but branding is a little misleading. They run a different platform to regular Freeview+ PVRs :).

Last edited:

Which, unless you are a masochist with very deep pockets, is bound to be only a small fraction of all the PVRs that have ever been on the market (yes - "PVR" not "DVR").
My First DVR was a Philips one and that would record 8 hours in the Buffer and you could save any one of the many programs that was stored in it and I could get home at tea time and rewind all the way to watch a movie at lunch time movie

Are you suggesting that there are other PVRs that defy alllllll logic in the same way as that obscure Humax model??

Nope

It's simply defies logic to be able to digitally record a whoooooooole program to memory and not be able to save it in its entirety to HDD

That takes some special kind of b******* up

Which PVR are you talking about?

This isn't how these PVRs work:

As I've already said I can't speak for those obscure Humax models but I've had dozens of DVR and all of them without exception save the whole program that's already been recorded in memory from beginning to end no matter when you press the record button

I've just tried it on the 4000 and it works the same way

There's nothing very clever about it - it's logic
Whoever developed those obscure Humax models that don't do it would have to make a real massive balls up not to be able to because the whole program is in memory and should be saved to HDD and having to rewind to save point is a joke and the developer should not be able to have children in case their offspring are just thick

Back