Resolved Cannot format hard disk

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
I did a system flush and a factory reset. I have installed the latest WebIf (1.4.2-4) and CF 3.13 (build 4028). Everything ran through as expected except I now cannot format the hard disk. I get the error 'Cannot format the hard disk. The capacity is too large'.
The disk is the original 1 tb and I have not done any mods to the machine. The last fix disk ran fine without any errors and the machine has been behaving fine.
Any clues please ?

PS - I did the flush/reset to try and sort out an old problem I have with favourites not appearing correctly in the EPG on both WebIf and RS

I should add:
1) When doing the factory reset I ticked the 'format hard disk' box. Nothing happened for a few seconds then the initial confirmation screen reappeared. When not ticked factory reset ran through okay.
2) On the third attempt to format the hdd from the menu the box crashed.
3) The disk has been 'rumbling' for quite a few months now. On doing some research I found that this can be expected and is not a fault(!?).

Thanks Luke. I did try formatting before loading the CF but that did not work. I will wait and see whether I should post any logs, etc., before progressing.
I suspect I will have to do a fix disk and, perhaps, replace the disk.

The method quoted by Luke in post #4 should work. As per the last post in the thread quoted therein, put the unit into safe mode from the telnet menu first. If you are still having problems, before replacing the disk, you could try the 'gptf' function available in the telnet menu when in maintenance mode. It will format with a gpt partition table (not necessary for drives of 2TB or less) but this works fine as long as you have custom firmware installed.

Thanks all - have now managed to reformat.
I did a fix-disk which found 1 inode problem but did not solve the problem.
I then, as Luke suggested from a post from af123, did an RMA and, bingo, all good so thanks again.

Back