Cannot get access to Humax (custom firmware) from browser

Dr Bones

Hello guys,
I've had a Humax HDR-FOX T2 (and been a member of hummy.tv) for many years now and am ever so grateful for the help and advice I get on this forum.
I've been using the custom firmware very happily for a while...
I haven't needed to access the Humax for a long time, and it stopped working recently. Luckily, I had anther Humax spare that I'd purchased ages ago, so I decided to load the custom firmware onto that.
It was so long ago when I last did the 'upgrade' to CF, but I managed to load the CF without any problems.
However, when I try to access the WEBIF interface on my browser, it comes up with:
"This site can’t be reached. 192.168.1.11 refused to connect."
I've set the Humax to manually assign the IP address and check the address is correct.
I've tried typing in 192.168.1.11 on Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge but can't seem to get access.
I've tried turning off the windows firewall and Kasperski's firewall - but nothing gets me into the interface.
I've even tried looking at the setting on my plusnet router - but can't see any adjustment there (other than to turn off the firewall).
I've tried to read as much as I could here to see if someone has already posted a solution (I'm sorry if I missed it). I've read that Telnet can be used, but I don't think I'm anywhere near advanced enough to try that!
I imagine it is something really silly and obvious that I'm missing, but I desperately need a bit of help to get me back on the right track...
Thanks in advance.

Setting the address manually may be the problem, you can't just choose any address you like.

Start by setting DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol), see what IP address gets assigned by the router, and go from there.

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP = DHCP

Then use the resulting IP address displayed on that page to access the WebIF.

Once that works, you can consider fixing the IP address. Configuring IP Address (click).

Thanks for that Black Hole...
I've changed it back to DHCP in the settings of the HUMAX, then read off the IP address and typed it into my browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Edge - I tried them all) - and all say "This site can’t be reached. 192.168.1.11 refused to connect." "Try checking the connection or the proxy and the firewall"
I've checked that the Humax is connected to the network (it must be, because it can access internet, and, I can access the videos on it using windows media player).
I've tried typing 192.168.1.11 into my computer, my wife's computer and my laptop (all running windows 10 and with Kasperski Internet Security). I've tried turning off the Kasperski and I've tried turning off the windows firewall, but I get the same message.
I can type in 192.168.1.254 and get into the (Plusnet) router's settings; but I haven't really changed them.
I reckon it is something basic, that you'd assume I know to do, but (sadly for me), I don't, 'cos my computer IQ is below 50!
And further help or advice would be very much appreciated - thanks again...

Try connecting to the Humax via telnet (see https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet ) and then choose the 'upgrade' option followed by 'fixweb'.
If you can't connect to the telnet menu then check that you definitely still have the custom firmware installed. If so, it will show the custom firmware version number on the front panel during startup.

Excuse me for jumping in here. Lets have a look from the other end - the router. If it's a PlusNet Hub One go to Advanced Settings > Home Network (You'll need the Hub's password). There you'll see what's connected along with their IP addresses.

Is it just a coincidence that the ip address manually entered and the new ip address given out by DHCP are the same ?

Is it just a coincidence that the ip address manually entered and the new ip address given out by DHCP are the same ?
Good point. If you're going to use fixed IP addresses you have to limit the range of addresses assigned by DHCP. By way of example DHCP here is 100 and up, anything below is fixed.

Thanks everyone for all those clues on how to go forward...
It wasn't coincidence that the IP addresses were the same - is was originally set to DHCP and I saw the IP address (both from the router and from the Humax) was 192.168.1.11, and since I saw on some other thread about trying to fix the IP address, I tried to do that and used the same address. But, as Black Hole said to put it back to DHCP, I've done that now.
I've checked on the router and seen that the Humax is connected and so it my computer.
The only thing I haven't done is try the TELNET client thing (I haven't got a clue how to do that, but I'll follow the link and, with a bit of trepidation, do my best...)
The thing that I find hard to understand is why I was able to access the Humax so easily when I upgraded my first Humax to CF, and why the same procedure doesn't work now. It was about 2-years ago and since then, my router has changed and I now use HOMEPLUGS for connecting to the router.

Thanks everyone for all those clues on how to go forward...
It wasn't coincidence that the IP addresses were the same - is was originally set to DHCP and I saw the IP address (both from the router and from the Humax) was 192.168.1.11, and since I saw on some other thread about trying to fix the IP address, I tried to do that and used the same address. But, as Black Hole said to put it back to DHCP, I've done that now.
So what IP address is being allocated to it now?

My router changed a long time ago, and since then, I have changed the Humax box to a new one. It was being allocated 192.168.1.11 by DHCP, so I gave it the same address when I put it on manually select IP address. Now I've put it back on DHCP, it is still on the same IP address.
I'm gathering from the helpful comments that I might be typing in the wrong IP address. Assuming the HUMAX is connected to the router, then I should be able to connect to it, unless I am (a) using the wrong IP address or (b) there is something (such as a firewall) preventing the access?
Thanks again guys - I really appreciate all of the comments. I'm getting closer, I think! Apologies for my lack of technical knowledge.

It sounds too much of a coincidence to me.

When you set DHCP, did you then click "Apply", or did you think selecting DHCP was enough? My fault for not being very specific, but it does say so in the last paragraph of my reference (from post 2).

Otherwise, are you using Windows? If so, the following will give us a clue (or at least confirm subnet info etc):
  1. Click "Start" and type "cmd"<return> in the search box;
  2. In the command console which pops up, at the command prompt type "ipconfig"<return>;
  3. Report the resulting text, particularly IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.

No, I think you miss-understood:
1) it was ORIGINALLY set to DHCP and I saw that the IP was: 192.168.1.11
2) So, when playing around trying to get access, I used the same IP (192.168.1.11) when I set it to manual
3) Then, when you told me to put it back to DHCP, I checked it again and it was 192.168.1.11 still.
It did click "apply" (although that is the sort of mistake I'd have made)
I've done the IP config thing and it comes up with this data:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8dc3:de6c:9936:ce2e%17
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.9
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Tunnel adapter isatap.lan:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:892:13ec:ccf9:b4b9
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::892:13ec:ccf9:b4b9%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

I wonder if that helps?
I still haven't tried the TELNET CLIENT yet, I'm building up my courage to have a go at that tomorrow...
Thanks again everyone, especially Black Hole - I'll get to the bottom of this, with your help...

I haven't thoroughly checked your posts, but can you 'see' the Hummy on your router's 'connected devices' (or whatever it's called) page? If so, that should give you the definitive answer to the question "What is the Hummy's IP address?" Is it still 192.168.1.11?
Presumably 192.168.1.9 you posted above is the IP address of the computer on which you ran IPConfig?

If you give a device a static IP address it must be outside of the IP range that DHCP has been allocated. Otherwise if the Hummy is off, the router may just allocate the same address (your Hummy static address) to a different device, and when you switch the Hummy on, you will get an IP clash with two devices trying to use the same IP. It appears that you are not doing that (when you had it static) as I suspect your computer is DHCPing its IP and your static IP is only + 2 from that. (But you probably know that anyway.)

Last edited:
That all looks OK to me. I now suspect the homeplugs.

If you can provide a temporary wired connection from the Humax to your router, do so.

Otherwise, follow af123's instructions about Telnet.

I still haven't tried the TELNET CLIENT yet, I'm building up my courage to have a go at that tomorrow...
From a command prompt, do these (in order):
ping 192.168.1.11
telnet 192.168.1.11
telnet 192.168.1.11 80

If the "telnet" lines say telnet is not found, then you need to add the "telnet client" on W10 (I can't remember how in the UI disaster that is W10).

If you have an Android device, download a network scanner, like Fing, which will then scan your network and hopefully find your Humax box. If found, you can 'Scan Services' to check what ports it has open and optionally connect. You could also do this from your Windows PC with some freeware like Angry IP or Advanced IP scanners.

For Windows I would recommend PuTTY over the built in Telnet client, available from HERE (Developer Tools section)

Back