Cannot install web interface

Blackbat

Hi,

I've just bought a clearance HDR-FOX T2 from Richer Sounds and have been playing around with the custom firmware. The HDR came with firmware 1.02.26 installed, which doesn't seem to feature on the list of firmware versions, and I updated it to 1.03.06 without problem. I then installed custom firmware, version 2.19, and was able to access the web page. When I then tried to install the full web interface by clicking on the download button I couldn't get anything to happen so eventually installed it using the command line. Everything seemed fine, but accessing the EPG over the web interface was very slow (anything up to 60s to fully display one page), far slower than a friends HDR, so I thought I'd go back to standard firmware and start again. This is where the problems started.

I followed the instructions on the wiki to remove custom firmware, then re-installed 2.19. At this point I couldn't get a web interface at all and running "opkg update" from the command line results in:

humax# opkg update
Downloading Packages.gz.
wget: can't open '/Packages.gz': Read-only file system
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
humax#

(full URL's removed so I can post this)

I've since run fix-disk but cannot get the above command to work, and it appears that my file system has gone read only, although I don't know enough about things to know if parts of it should be read only anyway, or indeed if I should be able to run "opkg update" in the way I'm trying.

As a PVR, everything seems to work OK. I can still record etc, it's just the web interface I can't install. The only other thing I've noted is that =RMA= is still coming up on the front display at some point, even though I have custom firmware installed.

Can anyone suggest what I should try next please?

thanks,

Justin

The RMA flag prevents installation of the custom firmware components. From the Telnet command line run "diag resetrma" (or from the Telnet start menu choose "run diagnostic" and enter "resetrma"). Installing a fresh standard firmware should over-write the RMA flag, which is the intend procedure for preparing a unit for warranty return (see entry "RMA" in the Glossary - click).

I recommend persisting with the Web installation process.

Just to clarify, are you saying I should:

1. Resetrma
2. Install standard firmware again
3. Install modified firmware
4. Try and use the basic web interface to install the full web interface (which is what didn't work for me originally)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Item 2 obviates the need for item 1 on your list, but yes - 2+3+4 is the surest way forward. Item 4 might come a cropper if there are remnants of the custom software components on the hard drive already (the standard and custom firmware loaded by USB installs to the non-volatile memory) - see what happens and let us know.

Just one thing: step 4 presumes you have a working (tested) Internet connection to the Humax - have you got the TV Portal running?

I certainly have a working internet connection - I tested it by using iPlayer in the TV portal.

I did actually do 2+3 last night (twice), and I was still seeing =RMA= with the custom firmware installed. I'll try 1+2+3 +4 when I get in.

Interesting. Bearing in mind the "standard" firmware 1.03.06 is actually a custom recreation of it rather than an official Humax release, it's possible the RMA flag isn't being handled properly. You could try the official 1.02.32 instead, and then build from there. 1.02.32 + 2.19 is a more secure footing, especially if you have no previous experience (1.03.06+2.19 seems to work according to reports, but is not saturation tested and is largely smoke and mirrors).

Well it's all working now :). I just installed 1.02.32, then the customised 2.19 version on top, and the web interface page returned, no RMA display, and I could click the button to install the full interface which didn't work before. I can also see the EPG on the remote scheduling website which I couldn't previously. The EPG loads quicker on the web interface as well (still taking something like 15-20s though - is this normal?).

Many thanks Black Hole for your help and guidance.

Back