Can't access wireless stuff

She may indeed have a temporary cable but is disinclined to use it. :) It doesn't solve her WiFi problem.

That's true EP.

Antipodean - it sees the router, it lists it along with a bunch of others, but fails at the final hurdle when you try to connect. Very frustrating!

Clutching at straws. Found this on the net.

just for the record and in case anyone else has this problem. i took the wifi out of the back usb, plugged it in the front. re entered details and it worked. now i know a few might say i entered the key wrong first off but i dont think so, i think unplugging it has reset something. its fine now, and once it was working i returned to rear and it continued to work.

Idea: can you check the security protocol the router is set to, and confirm you are choosing the right one on the Humax WiFi settings?

If I could add my 2d's worth here. I have the same dongle and router although mine was supplied by plusnet. They are temperamental and I usually have to turn everything off and leave it for a min, then turn it all back on and it works. Also check that you have put the correct router password in the Humax, it very easy to forget upper and lower case and if its wrong it just wont accept it. Best of luck.

Hi - thank you all. Have tried all sorts of turning off and on again. Nothing happens.

Security protocols: Humax one is WPA2-PSK(AES) and router one is WPA+WPA2 - not sure if that's good or not?

Ok - have tried pressing the button, turning everything off and on again, using front USB socket. NOTHING WORKS!!! ARRRGH! Who do I track and kill? O2? Humax? Microsoft?

I don't see that as being relevant to this case. AP isolation stops multiple WiFi devices communicating, but they still have access to the router and the Internet. Other options can prevent a WiFi device having access to external Internet. Neither would prevent a WiFi device connecting to the router.

Interesting - I should add that we have two phones and a printer running without issue on wi-fi, so can't see why Humax should be any different.

Has anybody in this situation found the wireless-helper package to be of any relevance?
It could well help as it forcibly configures the Wifi and brings it up on boot, something the standard firmware wont do in all cases - for example when the SSID is not being broadcast or the box has woken up for a recording.

Even if it doesn't fix the problem it would provide access to more diagnostics.

Back