Can't turn on TV to watch anything whilst recording

Dave_R

Here's a strange one... a number of times recently I've turned on the TV (Sony Bravia), turned on the freesat box - the TV says it is picking up from "tuner 1" but has a blank screen and no sound. Nothing I do will get the TV to show anything. The simple solution is to unplug the freesat box - but this will lose the current recording.
If use the freesat remote to turn off and back on again, it goes straight to showing the Channel ID on the front panel (ie does not scroll "humax Freesat" or whatever).
Anyone else had this problem? VERY frustrating!
Fortunately I have a decent DTV signal to the TV, so can resort to watching terrestrial low-definition... but that's not HD!

This is probably due to HDMI handshaking failing when the Humax is recording, you can prove this by trying the SCART output to the TV which should still be working, however, if this is the problem, you still won't be a getting Hi-Def via. SCART, it won't really solve your problem

The TV is a Sony Bravia KDL32U3000.
I think the issue is more than HDMI handshake.... Normally when switching on the Humax (via remote), then <Freeview> scrolls across the display, and then it displays the channel ID. When I'm having the problem, power on goes straight to the channel ID. (at least, I THINK that is what happens.... I'll have to look more closely and take notes next time it happens!)
Just checked the Humax box - it is HDR1000S, Update 21June 2013, Software UKFRAA 1.00.54

Not at all. The Humax is already booted when it is recording, so it only has to turn on the live functions when you bring it out "standby" (actually half-awake). Hence the difference in apparent behaviour.

With Humax HDR-FOX T2, we have many reports of particular TVs (frequently Sony) which have difficulty establishing the HDMI link, frequently in exactly that situation (HDR-FOX is half-awake recording, user tries to bring it to full-awake to watch something). HDMI is not as "standard" as we would like, there is wriggle room for manufacturers to implement it in their own way (and of course only guarantee full compatibility with their own range of gear).

You might find it works if you use a different HDMI input on the TV.

Thanks Black Hole
-
You might find it works if you use a different HDMI input on the TV.

I'll give it a whirl using a different HDMI input. Currently it is a bit frustrating switching between the (relatively new) HDR1000s and my old Sony HDR (which is not HD)..... it seems to take an age getting the HDMI to synch at the best of times (e.g. if I switch inputs between the two recorders)

Thanks REPASSAC - using a different HDMI port didn't help; using a SCART port in addition to HDMI was no good, as the TV kept switching to AV rather than HDMI. I've disabled all the options on HDMI to see if that helps.

You were supposed to use the SCART port instead of HDMI, just to conclusively prove the problem is HDMI related.

Can you confirm that the problem occurs only when recording in standby.
You will need to look at the front panel to tell this.

Can you confirm that the problem occurs only when recording in standby.
You will need to look at the front panel to tell this.

Yes - If the box is recording a programme whilst in Standby mode, (i.e. all the front panel is blank, apart from a very small "rec" indicator)... & I then turn on the TV and the freesat box, the TV does not recognise the HDMI input, & I just get a blank screen. (meanwhile the front-panel of freesat is now showing the channel it is tuned to)
There does not appear to be a a work-around (other than aborting the recording by powering off the freesat box completely... ie pulling the mains plug)
Fortunately I'm not wholly dependent on the freesat box for my TV, so can revert to the TV's terrestrial tuner to watch TV when this happens.

This happens with my Foxsat box and all I do is switch HDMI source on the TV away from then back to the Foxsat to re-force handshaking.

This happens with my Foxsat box and all I do is switch HDMI source on the TV away from then back to the Foxsat to re-force handshaking.

Tried that..... going to different HDMI (I have a sony HDD /DVD PVR on another HDMI port on the TV)....... (or going from SCART or going from Digital Tuner) and back to the Freesat HDMI still doesn't pick up. :(

I've been following this thread with interest as I have the same problem with a Sony Bravia KDL-32 and a HDR-FOXT2. Having failed to nail the problem, I am reduced to watching SD using the Bravia's tuner on the odd occasion that there is a a clash - not an ideal solution!

With the T2 you can use the vformat button on the remote to force the hdmi to resync.
Not sure about the free sat box though..

I am getting exactly the same problem also connected to a Sony Bravia KDL 40EX5o3. Have tried all HDMI ports. Tried a factory reset on both. HDMI control is off. Tried reflashing the latest firmware. No luck. If I repeatedly turn on/off Humax box when recording I can sometimes get the box to display, but it is 576i pixels rather than 1080! Bizarre. If anyone gets a solution please post.

@bmax: if you keep pressing vformat to cycle through the resolutions, it should come back to life.

This works for me, but if it doesn't for you then it may be something else or you might need to reboot your tv instead (ie turn it off/on).

Back