[CFW 3.00] Customised Firmware version 3.00 released.

This was only the case because pre-1.03 firmware does not control the updated version of hardware properly (identifiable by aerial in/out sockets paired vertically instead of horizontally), and at the time we had no way to restore 1.03.xx firmware if you corrupted it (by, say, loading 1.02.32). Now there is a rip of 1.03.12 available, this is no longer a concern (pre-1.03 firmware probably won't work if you have the updated hardware, but there is no actual harm to be done by installing it).

My model has the aerial sockets horizontal.. Thanks for the info.

neuty

Not worked for me. As reported above it just freezes my box randomly. Cannot even get it to connect to wifi. Tried the factory reset flash too and the same result - freezes on the wizard.

Back down to 1.03.12 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently running CFW 2.21 on 1.02.32, and can't seem to get the Humax to boot into 'update mode' when a USB stick containing the 3.0 update file is inserted.

I've tried various USB sticks, formatted on two different PCs, and have re-downloaded and re-extracted the HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.00.zip file.

Not sure what to try next?

Tried this too, but after an apparent successful download all I got was a blue ring and "no signal" on my TV. Tried to downgrade to CFW 2.22 (and 2.23) and got the same result. I'm a bit of a noob at this but had previously upgraded successfully twice. Can someone point me in the direction on how to resurrect my now defunct Humax?

I'm currently running CFW 2.21 on 1.02.32, and can't seem to get the Humax to boot into 'update mode' when a USB stick containing the 3.0 update file is inserted.

I've tried various USB sticks, formatted on two different PCs, and have re-downloaded and re-extracted the HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.00.zip file.

Not sure what to try next?
Make sure the USB stick in FAT32 format: do a full format, not a quick one. The update file needs to be on the root of the drive, not in a folder. If still not working, shut down the HDR-FOX and then turn off by the switch on the back. Plug in the USB stick before turning it back on.

Tried this too, but after an apparent successful download all I got was a blue ring and "no signal" on my TV. Tried to downgrade to CFW 2.22 (and 2.23) and got the same result. I'm a bit of a noob at this but had previously upgraded successfully twice. Can someone point me in the direction on how to resurrect my now defunct Humax?
Install the official 1.03.12 and then CFW 2.23/1.03.12 on top.

Install official firmware, then the custom firmware (CFW 2.23). There's more detail in post #8.

I've been running this on 7 different HDRs for 6 weeks without issues so was confident to release it, but it seems something is going wrong for a few of you!
ChrisDaniels mentions wifi - is everyone who is having trouble using wireless? Is anyone who is fine using it?

I've added a warning and details of how to recover to the first post and Wiki. Thanks Monty.

Many thanks, that did the trick! Presumably the official f/w was needed first to overwrite the custom kernel included in CFW3.00?
Yes. The symptoms that have been described are consistent with a kernel crash. The kernel in CFW 3.00 is built from the source code provided by Humax under GPL, and with a configuration based on the last one they published too. Due to the new features, it is slightly larger than the stock one - I wonder if loading the wireless driver is somehow triggering the crash.

I don't think this is a hardware issue. I think there is probably a rogue package out there. All of us with problems could post our lists of installed packages from Web-If, but I bet af123 could knock up a diagnostic to do this and upload the data directly to the server in his Batcave! Once all the regular packages from a vanilla CFW install are stripped out, the common packages remaining could form the basis of a hit list. Compare this to lists of packages from people who have no problems with CFW 3.00 and the hit list could be reduced further. Just a few sets of data from each camp (with and without working CFW3.00) and the list should shrink quite quickly.

Edit. This is just a possibility. The potential WiFi issue described by af123 is probably more likely. If it is a package, it would have to load up quickly. Possibly a package in flash?

OK, the update rattled through the percentages very fast; paused at 91% & 99%, as described. I suspect that taken as a whole, it probably took about the same amount of time as previous versions.

Updated from 1.03.12/2.23 to 1.03.12/3.00
All seems to be working fine.
I am not using wifi.

I've never used prepare for flash update (I always forget), and not doing so has never caused me a problem. Obviously whatever it does is not always required.
If you don't prepare_for_upgrade, you can fix-flash-packages afterwards.

Really? You don't think the new kernel etc is a more likely candidate??
I wondered if it was one of the less common packages causing the crash. As my lengthy message was posted only 2 minutes after af123's post suggesting the crash was related to WiFi, I clearly wrote it before having read his. I quickly wrote a footnote and said that af123's explanation is more likely: this edit was made long before you posted your reply. So you either just skimmed my message or are being deliberately obtuse.

Back