[CFW 3.00] Customised Firmware version 3.00 released.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
Version 3.00 of the customised firmware has now been released and is available for download via the Wiki at http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads

In addition to bug fixes, this version is easier to install and provides additional methods for recovery of a misbehaving box. It also includes a custom operating system kernel for the first time which includes new features such as packet filtering.

There is no special upgrade procedure required for this version - it can be safely installed on top of any previous CFW version, or on top of any official Humax version in a single step.

Note that as it includes a kernel, it takes longer to programme into flash with a prolonged pause around the 90% mark and there is a second programming phase on the HD-Fox T2.

Full release notes:

3.00 (01.07.2014)
  • Automatically recover from repeated failed maintenance mode boots and revert to a normal boot;
  • Display a 'You are in RMA mode' web page when in RMA mode (thanks to Black Hole for the idea);
  • Check network connectivity to the package repository during bootstrap and display a more useful error message (thanks to Raydon);
  • Upgrade embedded filesystem check and repair utilities to latest version (e2fsprogs 1.42.10);
  • Include extundelete utility;
  • Fix bug where aliased filesystem format/check utilities didn't work (noted by Black Hole);
  • Automatically remove Sky Player from flash memory if still present (Humax have removed this from newer firmware releases);
  • New custom OS kernel with support for:
    • Large block devices;
    • EFI Partition tables;
    • Basic IP filtering (iptables).
  • Unified installation image that can safely by applied on top of any existing version, custom or otherwise, in a single step;
  • New USB packages available to:
    • Perform a factory reset;
    • Force a maintenance mode boot;
    • Remove all iptables rules (to recover if you lock yourself out).
  • Available for the Humax HDR Fox-T2 versions 1.02.20, 1.02.32 and 1.03.12;
  • Available for the Humax HD Fox-T2 versions 1.02.20 and 1.02.31.

Wow. Sounds good.

A few clarifications (things which I think affect existing guides and documentation):

Do these images effectively include the full Humax firmware, so that (say) loading CF3.00/1.02.32 automatically and completely replaces any existing Humax firmware and results in a 1.02.32 box (with CF3.00 of course)?

What capability does EFI now permit, in regard to internal and external HDDs?

Does the RMA flag now get properly cleared by overloading any standard firmware?

Well just downloaded and will be installing in the next hour or so.

For a box that is out of production it is great to see that support is still alive.

neuty

Do these images effectively include the full Humax firmware, so that (say) loading CF3.00/1.02.32 automatically and completely replaces any existing Humax firmware and results in a 1.02.32 box (with CF3.00 of course)?
The simple answer is yes. The HD model CFW doesn't include the bootloader unlike official versions and there are some differences as regards Sky Player components (which don't work anyway).

What capability does EFI now permit, in regard to internal and external HDDs?
At present, just experimentation. Large block support wasn't completely mature in the kernel version we have so I expect there will be some patches required. Hopefully we could support internal drives over 2TB.

Does the RMA flag now get properly cleared by overloading any standard firmware?
No, only firmwares 1.02.xx. I plan to create a new upgrade file for completing the RMA process.

For a box that is out of production it is great to see that support is still alive.neuty
This isn't 'support'. The people here are nothing to do with Humax and it is an enthusiast community.

This isn't 'support'. The people here are nothing to do with Humax and it is an enthusiast community.

I do understand that this is not Humax support, but that was just my wording.
Nothing to get hung up on, and every bit is appreciated.

neuty

Bad timing from me as ever, I upgraded my boxes to CFW 2.23 at the weekend. On the other hand, I intend upgrading my parents and aunts boxes next week and I don't like them being on something so new as 3.00 sounds. At least we'll all be on 2.23 for a while.

Folks, I recommend not upgrading yet. I was home early so I installed 1.03.12/ CFW 3.00 on two of my HDR-Foxes: an old one (loader a7.30) and a later, original hardware box (loader a7.33). The installation process went fine, but on rebooting the old box locked up just before tuning a channel, and the newer box tuned a channel but the picture froze and the box locked up a few seconds in. I had to use the rear switches to turn them off and the boxes both froze again after rebooting. I tried reinstalling 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23; the installation worked but the boxes still locked after booting. I got them working again by installing official 1.03.12, and then reinstalling 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23. I don't know if the other CFW 3.00 firmwares cause the same problem, or how the HD-FOX versions behave.

All working fine here MET.

No problem when rebooting and its all as it should be. Fingers crossed no problems occur.

neuty

Likely then a package I have installed? I'll try it on my revised hardware box and see what happens.

Edit. My revised hardware box is behaving in the same way. Presumably others will have this problem too, which could help with the troubleshooting. I'm not wishing problems onto anyone else, but I hope I don't end up having to RMA my boxes to vanilla to install this upgrade. I got my boxes working again by installing official 1.03.12. I have now tried installing 1.03.12/ CFW3.00 on top of official 1.03.12 (without going via 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23), with the same problem. I guess it must be a package or setting somewhere the new version does not like, that is not removed by the downgrade to official firmware?

Both my HDRs, Green with loader a7.30, and Orange with loader a7.33 updated fine. No issues to report. I am glad af123 said that there would be a long pause in the flashing process at around the 90% mark, I would have been very worried otherwise!

neuty,

'You on 1.02.32_mod_3.00 or 1.03.12_mod_3.00, etc.?

Also, need I bother running the prepare for update from the WebIF first?

1.03.12 mod 3.00 as my refurb box came with 1.03.11 and reading up the advice was not to go back to an firmware too early else I could brick it.

I would guess someone more knowledgeable can answer your question.

neuty

I've not tried running the 'prepare for upgrade' diagnostic before running the upgrade but from the first message in the thread this sounds unnecessary.

Edit: It probably is unnecessary: it made no difference in any case.

Folks, I recommend not upgrading yet. I was home early so I installed 1.03.12/ CFW 3.00 on two of my HDR-Foxes: an old one (loader a7.30) and a later, original hardware box (loader a7.33). The installation process went fine, but on rebooting the old box locked up just before tuning a channel, and the newer box tuned a channel but the picture froze and the box locked up a few seconds in. I had to use the rear switches to turn them off and the boxes both froze again after rebooting. I tried reinstalling 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23; the installation worked but the boxes still locked after booting. I got them working again by installing official 1.03.12, and then reinstalling 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23. I don't know if the other CFW 3.00 firmwares cause the same problem, or how the HD-FOX versions behave.

Same here! Same course of corrective action required as well, so thanks for the tip - I had that sinking feeling for a moment....

For info, was trying to install 1.02.32_3.00 over the top of 1.02.32_2.23 and it went through the update as described (including the long pause at 90%) but upon restarting got stuck at the custom firmware version display on the front panel.

I have just installed this on my HDR-FOX T2's, and all seemed to go OK, with a long pause at 91%, and a short pause at 99%.

Same here! Same course of corrective action required as well, so thanks for the tip - I had that sinking feeling for a moment....

For info, was trying to install 1.02.32_3.00 over the top of 1.02.32_2.23 and it went through the update as described (including the long pause at 90%) but upon restarting got stuck at the custom firmware version display on the front panel.

My upgrades were from v1.03.12/CF2.33 on both boxes. As I previously stated, I haven't had any problems...yet!

1.03.12 mod 3.00 as my refurb box came with 1.03.11 and reading up the advice was not to go back to an firmware too early else I could brick it.
This was only the case because pre-1.03 firmware does not control the updated version of hardware properly (identifiable by aerial in/out sockets paired vertically instead of horizontally), and at the time we had no way to restore 1.03.xx firmware if you corrupted it (by, say, loading 1.02.32). Now there is a rip of 1.03.12 available, this is no longer a concern (pre-1.03 firmware probably won't work if you have the updated hardware, but there is no actual harm to be done by installing it).

So far so good here. Previously I had 1.03.12 official (to update the kernel) then 1.03.12 mod 2.23

neuty,

'You on 1.02.32_mod_3.00 or 1.03.12_mod_3.00, etc.?

Also, need I bother running the prepare for update from the WebIF first?

I've never used prepare for flash update (I always forget), and not doing so has never caused me a problem. Obviously whatever it does is not always required.

Back