Ch5HD

MikeSh

This appears to have actually replaced the SD on 105. In the process it seems to have lost the series recording I had set which I've now reinstated. (Some as yet unwatched SD recordings are also now labelled 5HD - be nice if they are :) )

If you have any Ch5 series set you should check them.

My Ch5 recordings are done on a Freeview box but I am hearing that only the Freesat version of Ch5HD supports digital surround audio. Is this so and are there any programmes which have a DD5.1 audio? At the moment I only record Gotham and the occasional historical documentaries from Ch5. Cricket highlights and Worlds Strongest Man are the other programmes that I watch when they are on.

My Ch5 recordings are done on a Freeview box but I am hearing that only the Freesat version of Ch5HD supports digital surround audio. Is this so and are there any programmes which have a DD5.1 audio? At the moment I only record Gotham and the occasional historical documentaries from Ch5. Cricket highlights and Worlds Strongest Man are the other programmes that I watch when they are on.

The freesat version of channel 5 HD is identified as having 6.1 Dolby Digital EX.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-digital-ex.html

I don't have the additional rear speaker so any audio intended for it should be output by the rear surrounds. The few programmes I have tried though so far appear to only have front left, front right, centre and the 0.1 bass channel. The centre though does seem to produce clearer audio than the 2.0 you get on Freeview.

Not had chance to have a close look at the audio using a surround sound capable editor yet.

Attachments

• Channel-5-HD-Freesat-Audio.jpg
    Channel-5-HD-Freesat-Audio.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 8
Gotham - it's not 5.1, seems to be a cludge. As far as I can tell front centre is front left + front right. Rears minimal output probably matrix pro logic derived,

Ta for that. Gotham is one of the few programmes I watch on C5 so will consider moving my C5 recordings from Freeview to Freesat.

Ta for that. Gotham is one of the few programmes I watch on C5 so will consider moving my C5 recordings from Freeview to Freesat.

Interesting to know what you think of the audio. One thing struck me with Freeview being plain stereo is at least prologic ii dsp has a chance of working.

Actually given how my Digitalstream Freeview PVR does not mute the audio on FFx2 or FFx4 for the HD channels then like ITV HD and C4 HD I will definitely move my C5 recordings to my Foxsat HDR.

Back