Channel.db auto update from HDR to HD?

G4DDS

Our HDR gets fairly regular usage, the HD in a spare room does not and only gets switched on perhaps once a month. Normally I take the opportunity to copy the latest up-to-date channel database from the HDR to HD using SSH and recently knocked up the following simple script to make my life easier:

/etc/init.d/S90settop shut
scp -P<port> root@<IP>:/var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db /var/lib/humaxtv/
sync
reboot

Just recently though I had a quick look through the packages to see if there was a package available that perhaps automated this. It struck me that as there must be a fair few owners that have both a HD and HDR then perhaps someone had already written a package that did this?

If not, what I was thinking was that everytime the HD was booted it scanned the network for the HDR to see if it was available on the network (i.e. out of standby or in standby record) and if so could somehow interrogate the HDR channel database to see if it was more up-to-date than its local copy and if so automatically copy it from the HDR and then reboot itself.

Just an idea but if such a package does not exist and someone is bored... ;)

It doesn't exist but I can see why it could be useful.
I've just installed tunefix-update on my HD so it tracks most channel changes automatically (thanks to the work that prpr puts in to the updates)

See here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/copying-tuning-from-one-hd-hdr-fox-to-another.5975/

I have found the process unreliable. For some reason, even though the "receiving" unit (HDR-FOX or HD-FOX) appears to take the USB .db file, it makes no difference to the unit when rebooted. I gave up, and just run an automatic retune with tunefix to patch it up.

Maybe using system tools to import a new channel.db would bypass whatever the problem is with USB import.

The HD only has a small USB (128Mb I think) to hold the custom firmware and we have no need to use the scheduling features so in my case copying just the channel.db using SSH (and issuing a rebooting) appears to work absolutely fine. Whether I have just been lucky or its because I don't use it to record stuff (via an external HDD) I don't know.

I have tunefix installed on my HDR but I must admit the tunefix-update package had passed me by. Done a search for [tunefix-update] for more info but could only find it being talked about in the tunefix thread - does it have its own thread as I would like some more info before I install it on my HDR. Is it just an install and forget or does it need some configuring? How does it detect changes?

Normally I take the opportunity to copy the latest up-to-date channel database from the HDR to HD using SSH
I used to do that until I wrote tunefix and tunefix-update.
copying just the channel.db using SSH (and issuing a rebooting) appears to work absolutely fine. Whether I have just been lucky or its because I don't use it to record stuff (via an external HDD) I don't know.
It always worked for me as well. I can't see how it wouldn't. I think BH is talking about using the hidden menu option though. Can't say I've ever felt the need to try it as it's easier to use SSH over the network than a USB stick and sneaker net.
I have tunefix installed on my HDR but I must admit the tunefix-update package had passed me by.
:eek::cry:
Wonder why forum search did not pick it up?
Because it's crap. It's by far the worst bit of the Xenforo software.

I use Google "site:hummy.tv <search term>" unless I need to restrict the search to a particular author, topic, section...

Back