[channeldel] Automatically delete unwanted channels (Note: now superseded by tunefix)

I came across this thread yesterday, installed it, backup up my scheduled events, chose all my radio and the channels that I don't want, retuned, checked everything tagged had deleted, restored my scheduled events and am happy as Larry!

Thanks to all you talented guys and gals for the time and effort you have put into this site and all the support packages and customised firmware. If anyone looking in is any doubt about joining and using it - go for it! Is all I can say!!

I have now installed the CF, without channeldel, but the problem is back, even when I follow xyz123' directions. The TV group will stick BUT ONLY UNTIL I PUT THE BOX IN STANDBY. The next time I turn on the box, the guide defaults to the HDTV group

Edit:

I appear to have found a work around. If I create a Favourite group that contains all my TV channels and then select that group in the PowerOn Channel package, the group sticks and survives a power cycle.

It is most peculiar how this has happened because the only change I made to this box was to install the channeldel package. Obviously that has been discounted now as this is a clean install, but I am sure it's caused by one package or another.

I will try to play further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Weird. We just had a Wallace moment. My wife turned the box on and found she was in the HDTV listing.
What I had done was, this afternoon, change the start up channels setting in Webif from our favourites list (which I didn't think we used anyway) to 'None'. I will try and investigate more over the next few days.

That's what I found when I first checked poweronchannels settings. I have now set up a TV favourite (all SD & HD) and selected that to start-up. It works for me.

This is strange. I don't use favourites or expect to use favourites. I have not yet installed channeldel though!

There is definititely a bug in the poweron-channel package. If set to a favourite group it will use that but if set to "None" it will set the box to the HD group when powered on. Here is the relevant part of xinit.log when the power on group is set to "None":
Code:
POC: LCN 1, VOL 20, FAV 2
Setting channel to 1
Setting volume to 20
Setting favgroup to 2

Well, I thought it was something! Never used favourites before, but now I HAVE to as a work round for the grouping issue I discovered.

I don't feel such a chump now!

It does look like if you want to run poweron-channel 1.0.1 you also need to create a favourite group, unless you want your default group to be HDTV, I guess :-
FAV 1 = TV
FAV 2 = HDTV
FAV 3-7 = Favourite 1-5 (can be re-named)
FAV 8 = Radio
FAV 9 = Recent
My xinit.log >> Setting favgroup to 3 which = Favourite 1 (Re-named MY-TV)

I think it is actually:
Code:
0: TV
1: Radio
2: HD
3-7: Favourites 1-5
8: Recent
Part of the problem seems to be the way the package stores the selected power on group in /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/pog. The values stored in that file are:
Code:
0: None
1-5: Favourites
Presumably there is a +2 somewhere to map from this file to the actual setting.
It would probably be better with a 1 to 1 mapping and an out of band value for "None".

It's the CHLIST_GROUP setting in the configuration database that is changed by poweron-channel and that sets it to the value in the configuration file + 2 as you suspect. Removing the /mod/boot/pog file will fix it temporarily and I'll upload a new version of the package shortly.

Just done my retune. Absolutely ACE.

Before starting I made sure I had a current schedule backup.
From the box I deleted all channels and did a manual tune of Winter Hill muxes. Before rebooting I went back on the PC and into the channeldel interface and added all the unwanted stuff to the left list (as the right side was now fully populated).
Did a reboot and voila. Channeldel and renumber both did their stuff. The new Drama got renumbered somewhat at random (20 was already taken) but I've no issues with that, and on restart the list in the epg on the box was still in the pre-renumber order. A second reboot sorted that.
Reloaded my schedule from the backup and tidied up a few loose ends in the channel lists (my stuff, nothing wrong the software) - all done. It even seems to have kept the changed folder locations which was nice as when I viewed the backup beforehand in webif it didn't show them and I did wonder.

Even with the messing with channeldel as it was the first time out that is far and away quickest and most painless retune I've done on either this box or our old 9200. So a huge THANKYOU to the people who have been developing and publishing all these packages.

I realise that we (I) am getting off topic here, but could you tell me if an updated poweron channel package has been uploaded yet?

The trouble with having the autoupdate package is the things get updated in the background, so to speak, so I don't really know what, if anything, has been updated.

Perhaps that would be a useful amendment to the autoupdate package - a list of updates applied.

EDIT: Sorry, just checked Twitter. Poweron package updated already. I will reinstall it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep. I have now deleted my newly created favourite list, reinstalled channeldel and all is working fine. Thanks.

I suppose the answer to knowing if/what has been updated automatically is simply to remove the autoupdate package and manually update. that way I would know exactly what package has changed

I'm probably being a bit dim, but I can't see [channeldel] listed under Web-If > Package Management.

Is it installed with the latest Custom Firmware?

I'm currently on CW 2.15.

Also, can Custom Firmware be updated via Web-If
(I suppose that would be CW updating itself!)
or is it still the traditional USB method?

WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Show development and advanced packages? = Yes

No, the base CF cannot update itself.

WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Show development and advanced packages? = Yes

Yes, I did that: it didn't show [channeldel] which is why I wondered if I needed to upgrade the CW.

No, the base CF cannot update itself.

Thought as much; thanks for the reply.

[Some time later...]
Ah, there's a big button on the Package Management page that says, Update package list from Internet ... :oops:

That did it.

Somehow, I thought it always downloaded from the Internet whenever "Available" was pressed.

Slightly off-topic, I was inspired to do a FreeView channel re-scan by this thread.

My Signal Strength was 48%, though Quality was 100%
I was on BBC 6Music.

Would My Signal Strength have been different had I been on BBC 1 HD?

I'm only asking as only 25 TV channels were found instead of the normal 70-odd.

It's no problem as I only ever record the four HD channels and BBC4 and only listen to 6 Music;
I was just interested to see if the BT Sport channels might appear.

I've moved channeldel into the non-advanced package list now that a few more people have tried it and reported success.

Back