Cold Call - New Tactic

I have a BT8500 Advanced Call Blocker and it screens unrecognised numbers. The caller has to say who they are and I then accept or decline the call; works fine for me and has virtually eliminated nuisance calls. Recognised numbers get straight through and my GP practice now uses a local number so doesn't need screening.
They are a real pain for delivery drivers trying to get in touch with a customer. At the very least they use up precious time, at the worst the customer does not get their delivery. I hope you have you have your handset to hand ready to answer whenever you are expecting a delivery.

An idea: Change the Call Blocker system to allow the driver to enter an OTP which the customer generates for them to use, valid only on the day of delivery.

Last edited:
They are a real pain for delivery drivers trying to get in touch with a customer. At the very least they use up precious time, at the worst the customer does not get their delivery. I hope you have you have your handset to hand ready to answer whenever you are expecting a delivery.
I very rarely get calls from delivery drivers so I don't see it as an issue.

How do you do know? If they are hanging up when they hear the Call Blocker kick in then all you will see is an unknown number in the missed calls log if you happen to look.

One option to try is that when you give the number they are to use to contact you then you included 1470 at the start of the number you give them.
I did that with the GPs. One called me once, after, as he said, deciphering my phone number. People don't want to do this, because it unblocks their number.

How do you do know? If they are hanging up when they hear the Call Blocker kick in then all you will see is an unknown number in the missed calls log if you happen to look.
If there were problems with deliveries I would be aware that things weren't arriving and that simply isn't the case.

So not had any surprise Christmas packages from relatives or friends arrive? :D

(possibly using a different courier than your usual posty or delivery driver who know the area)

Back