Concern over potental 'new Humax official firmware'.

Wallace

Traveler 34122
I have heard a rummer that Humax are working on new firmware for the HD/HDR T2. Now I know I am being very presumptuous here, but what are the chances that they will scupper our custom firmware?

I suppose until/if it is released we just won't know.

Sorry to shout before I've been bitten, just wondering, that's all.

I have heard a rummer that Humax are working on new firmware for the HD/HDR T2. Now I know I am being very presumptuous here, but what are the chances that they will scupper our custom firmware?

I think it's very unlikely that they will be that bothered after all this time, But, If they do, you just re-load 1.02.20. Unless there is something in the new version that you really can't live without (4GB streaming bug fix maybe or a nightly wake-up that updates the EPG) the Custom Firmware will always be more tempting

This is true, I find it almost unthinkable for me not to use the CF. I, like many others, must just take the extra features for granted. I realise that I could load a previous version, but as we can't turn off OTA updates, it could become a bit of a PITA until they stop.

but as we can't turn off OTA updates, it could become a bit of a PITA until they stop.

Yes the OTA's are usually only for a few days and are repeated a few times, But I'm sure we can get around that, e.g. making sure the Humax is never available at 4:30AM

I'm pretty sure we can turn off the OTAs - I just haven't felt the need to put any time into it yet.

I don't think they can easily stop us customising the new version unless they choose to update the bootloader and change the compression/encryption algorithms.

Updating the bootloader probably carries too much risk for them to do it OTA, but you never know! I think they have done it once for the HD.

I think I would be prepared to prevent any OTA until we know what's in it, just in case they did something irreversible

I'm pretty sure we can turn off the OTAs - I just haven't felt the need to put any time into it yet.

I don't think they can easily stop us customising the new version unless they choose to update the bootloader and change the compression/encryption algorithms.

Updating the bootloader probably carries too much risk for them to do it OTA, but you never know! I think they have done it once for the HD.

From your work on the memory layout, do you know if there is a backup bootloader held anywhere? If there is, then Humax would be confident to upgrade the bootloader OTA, but if not then it is very unlikely as a power cut during the update would lead to warranty returns. Although, it would still be better to avoid OTA updates just in case they go ahead and do it anyway!

I guess a manual daily recording schedule from say 4:15AM to 4:45AM would prevent OTA's
I don't know but if you happen to be watching it at 4:30 am, it brings up a box asking if you want perform a software update. If you don't say no, possibly due to delayed reaction time (due to the lateness of the hour), then it times out and does it anyway.

We just need to delete the 04:30 job on each boot, or change the update target in the setup table to an unused number - there are a lot of other OTA related flags in the setup database too that would be worth a tweak.

I like the idea of giving the current firmware a higher version number so it doesn't try to update.

That means modifying the Humax software - a line that nobody here has officially crossed yet.

Well, my question certainly sparked something!

Interesting. I wonder if Humax will make the firmware public? Now that would be good!

We think it's something to do with the storm I created about the 4GB bug in the DLNA client. Time will tell.

I see in webif packages the 'Disable Over-the-air updates (beta)' package listed. Does this need to be activated or do you just install and leave.

I see in webif packages the 'Disable Over-the-air updates (beta)' package listed. Does this need to be activated or do you just install and leave.
It's just install and forget. It's still beta because it might not be the whole solution to disabling OTAs. My box has stopped waking up at 04:30 though so far.

It's just install and forget. It's still beta because it might not be the whole solution to disabling OTAs. My box has stopped waking up at 04:30 though so far.
I installed just to see what happens, as I do, :D and it works. My box didn't wake up at 04.30 yesterday. Uninstalled the package yesterday and my box didn't wake up this morning. Is there a way back? Just curious!

Back