Conflicts

tombar

Why does it not tell you there are conflicts when you set up programme recording rather than just before it happens, when you might not be there?

It does. Or at least, mine does.

Or do you mean when a second recording is about to start which conflicts with the live channel you happen to be watching? In which case that should not be a problem when you are not there watching a live channel.

Because the conflict may not be there when the reservation is made, often caused by a earlier recording overunning. Very often if you ignore the earlier recording completes very shortly and the second recording starts losing only a very short amount at the beginning (which is what would happen if you weren't there). It would help if you posted the recordings being made before and after the clash occured.

It does. Or at least, mine does.

Or do you mean when a second recording is about to start which conflicts with the live channel you happen to be watching? In which case that should not be a problem when you are not there watching a live channel.
I don't know if it conflicts with one I'm watching, as I don't see the message unless I'm watching something. What I do know is that has never warned me of any conflict ever when I've been setting the recordings

Because the conflict may not be there when the reservation is made, often caused by a earlier recording overunning. Very often if you ignore the earlier recording completes very shortly and the second recording starts losing only a very short amount at the beginning (which is what would happen if you weren't there). It would help if you posted the recordings being made before and after the clash occured.
Thanks for the reply, Graham (and Gomezz). What information on the recordings would be useful?

Channel name you were recording immediately before the clash message and after (include regions where appropriate), scheduled times and date (include programme name). If the recording was a series or one off recording or a watch only.

As far as I can work out, it would be Emmerdale (7-8; ITV HD; 119), Eastenders (7.30-8, BBC NE&C; 101) and Holby City (8-9; BBC 1 HD; 108) on Tuesday 29th September. All are series recordings. In this case, Emmerdale was an extended one, but this happens quite often and I've no idea if it is always due to an extended one (I'd not thought of this till now).

As far as I can work out, it would be Emmerdale (7-8; ITV HD; 119), Eastenders (7.30-8, BBC NE&C; 101) and Holby City (8-9; BBC 1 HD; 108) on Tuesday 29th September. All are series recordings. In this case, Emmerdale was an extended one, but this happens quite often and I've no idea if it is always due to an extended one (I'd not thought of this till now).

See my other post, you appear to have a problem with the box setup. Intrigued to know why you didn't record Eastenders and Holby City both from 108. (That would ensure that the same tuner recorded both and an overun on ITV-HD would not have caused an issue if your box was properly setup).

See my other post, you appear to have a problem with the box setup. Intrigued to know why you didn't record Eastenders and Holby City both from 108. (That would ensure that the same tuner recorded both and an overun on ITV-HD would not have caused an issue if your box was properly setup).
Will do the required fiddling - it's supposedly set up by a "satellite man" when I changed from a Toppy box and Freeview. I also asked myself why I recorded them from different channels and the answer is I don't know! - I'll change to HD

Sounds like your recording schedule is similar to mine .... or rather the other half's! We too were recording Emmerdale on ITV HD and Holby on BBC1 HD as well as some other rubbish that I can't remember at the same time. We were also in the unusual position of watching something live at 8pm on Tuesday and also received a conflict warning on the screen. Graham described why this happens very well in an earlier post:

In our case on Tuesday, as Graham said, we got the conflict warning on the screen for about 30s and lost the first minute or so of Holby as one of the previous programmes (I think Emmerdale) overran the start of Holby and because of everything else going on on the box there was no free tuner to start recording Holby. As soon as a tuner became available (when Emmerdale finished) the box started recording Holby. This is normal behaviour and what the box would do anyway if you weren't watching anything.

It is worth doing the checks that Graham and others have suggested in this thread and your other thread to confirm that both tuners are working fine but it sounds to me like they probably are and that it was just one of those occasions when a real time conflict arose because of an overruning programme rather than a scheduling conflict (which the box would have told you about at the time you set up the recording schedule).

So what you are implying is that tombar is chasing two possibly non-existent faults at the same time rather than one at a time?

So what you are implying is that tombar is chasing two possibly non-existent faults at the same time rather than one at a time?
Not sure I follow your comment I'm afraid. My point was merely that at the specific date/time given as an example by tombar in this thread, I was also recording a similar combination of things and I also receive a real time on-screen conflict warning. I KNOW that my Humax is set up correctly and that both tuners are working fine so, in this instance, for Tuesday 29th September at 8pm, I believe that anyone recording a similar combination of programmes and watching live TV would have seen the conflict warning. Of course, this doesn't prove that tombar's Humax is also set up and working correctly which is why I said it's worth carrying on with the checks suggested by Graham and others. And it doesn't prove that the tombar's box isn't set up correctly either. But, for the circumstances and the date/time stated, the conflict warning was, in my opinion, expected and correct.

Last edited:

The lack of access to BBC Radio 3 and 4 reported in the other thread is a definite issue assuming as posted the box at the time was recording only a single channel. It's unfortunate that the OP reported this in a different thread. Understandably not realising the two could be related. The clash was easy to explain, the loss of the Radio channels less so. There is a possibility with some sort of issue with the second lnb connection which would have been used in the above circumstances to provide access to the radio channels. However it may just have been the OP tried to listen to the radio during the period that the second tuner was being used to watch for the second programme accurate record start so wasn't available to tune the radio channels.

@ adrianf36. Thanks for your reply. Understood. The angle that I was coming from is that the OP has reported two possible problems, which could be linked, in two different threads rather than trying to sort out the possible miss-configuration of his box, which , if miss-configured, could have caused both symptoms. However, by coincidence, you found that he would have got the conflict anyway even if his box is set up correctly.

@GLT
There is a possibility with some sort of issue with the second lnb connection which would have been used in the above circumstances to provide access to the radio channels.
That's what I was unsuccessfully trying to get at.

Not sure I follow your comment I'm afraid. My point was merely that at the specific date/time given as an example by tombar in this thread, I was also recording a similar combination of things and I also receive a real time on-screen conflict warning. I KNOW that my Humax is set up correctly and that both tuners are working fine so, in this instance, for Tuesday 29th September at 8pm, I believe that anyone recording a similar combination of programmes and watching live TV would have seen the conflict warning. Of course, this doesn't prove that tombar's Humax is also set up and working correctly which is why I said it's worth carrying on with the checks suggested by Graham and others. And it doesn't prove that the tombar's box isn't set up correctly either. But, for the circumstances and the date/time stated, the conflict warning was, in my opinion, expected and correct.

Thanks, Adrianf36

Sounds like your recording schedule is similar to mine .... or rather the other half's! We too were recording Emmerdale on ITV HD and Holby on BBC1 HD as well as some other rubbish that I can't remember at the same time. We were also in the unusual position of watching something live at 8pm on Tuesday and also received a conflict warning on the screen. Graham described why this happens very well in an earlier post:

In our case on Tuesday, as Graham said, we got the conflict warning on the screen for about 30s and lost the first minute or so of Holby as one of the previous programmes (I think Emmerdale) overran the start of Holby and because of everything else going on on the box there was no free tuner to start recording Holby. As soon as a tuner became available (when Emmerdale finished) the box started recording Holby. This is normal behaviour and what the box would do anyway if you weren't watching anything.

It is worth doing the checks that Graham and others have suggested in this thread and your other thread to confirm that both tuners are working fine but it sounds to me like they probably are and that it was just one of those occasions when a real time conflict arose because of an overruning programme rather than a scheduling conflict (which the box would have told you about at the time you set up the recording schedule).

Worth mentioning that the curtailed recording gets incorrectly flagged as having failed.

Back