Control playback through webif

Lard

I've newly installed the 3.13 custom firmware on my HD Fox and I'm very impressed. I wondered whether there was any way to start and control playback of media files through the webif though? I'd like to play music files from a SMB share through the humax. I have done this already using the auto mount package and the remote but this requires having the TV to be on to navigate to the files. Control through the webif on my phone would remove the need for the TV, but I can't see any sign of this being an option. Could anyone confirm whether this is possible?

This has been asked many times and the answer is no. The custom firmware facilities have no access to the "standard operations" of the HD/HDR-FOX, we can only "see" what's in the file system and make changes to it (often only while the Humax code is off-line). There is no access to the audio/video outputs.

The virtual remote package ir can inject remote control codes as if from a real remote control handset, and can be automated by use of macros, but without viewing the menus as they appear on-screen any navigation done that way is blind dead reckoning - and it is impossible to predict what sequence of button presses would be required to start playing any particular media file. It is much more straightforward to use it to change channel, which is implemented via the WebIF EPG (with ir installed).

However, if you were using an HDR-FOX (not HD-FOX), that has a separate menu system for USB drives (including virtual drives created by shares), which might just be sufficiently predictable to access by dead reckoning.

Last edited:
Here are some ideas that somebody with technical ability and time on their hands might like to investigate, but comes under the category "too fiddly to be worth the bother" unless you are up for a challenge (I think idea 2 has the best potential):

1. Pre-stuff the TSR buffer and see if you can fool the 'Fox into playing the content.

2. Initiate media file playback via WebIF by creating a symbolic link to the desired file with the link in a predictable place in the media list tree (eg inside folder name = " " in root My Video), and launch it with an ir macro. This might be easiest on HDR-FOX using a dedicated virtual USB drive, as long as the drive itself could be named so that it appears in a predictable place in the drive list.

It might be possible to reset the My Video navigation during the macro by accessing the USB list and then returning to the HDD list (but this takes an indeterminate length of time). A solution using the USB list would be necessary for it to be compatible for HD-FOX users.

This idea can be "played with" without re-coding the WebIF: symbolic links can be created on the command line, and ir macros created through existing WebIF facilities. If a reliable solution is forthcoming, we can consider rolling it into WebIF for everyone.

3. Use a DLNA server (eg on a PC) to create an open-ended stream, accessed via the 'Fox's DLNA client. You would control what was fed into the channel at the PC end, but it would then be "rendered" by the 'Fox.

4. Use a custom portal to provide portal access to our own locally-hosted Internet radio or YouTube stream, and feed that from media files within the home network or even on the local disk.

Ah. I like threads that answer questions before I ask them (again) hehe.

This is more of a direct question about a part of the reply :-

1. Pre-stuff the TSR buffer and see if you can fool the 'Fox into playing the content.

Where does the HDR Fox T2 store it's TSR buffer? I recall on the Foxsat HDR there's a 30GB or so file called 0.ts found in the My Video root folder equivalent. I am impressed that the HDR Fox T2 can record something already in progress IF (and only if) you remember to scroll back to the start point already in the TSR, something which I believe the Foxsat HDR could not do, even with custom firmware. That makes it more TiVo esque in a good way, but the default behaviour of pressing record say 20 minutes through the program only records from that point and if you press stop, bam, TSR which had the start of the program in it is gone. I'm guessing this is more HDR Fox T2 default behaviour that cannot be changed, would that assumption be correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Back