Convert TS files to audio

Changing the file extension does not alter the content of the file, so all you will have is an m2ts stream with an mp2 file extension. I am not sure what this achieves.

Changing the file extension does not alter the content of the file, so all you will have is an m2ts stream with an mp2 file extension. I am not sure what this achieves.

Many media players will play back the mpeg 1 layer 2 audio which is what the .ts file container has in it by simply changing the file extension. The container has no video content of course. Works on usb with my car radio.

A similar dodge will often let media players that don't like the transport stream container for SD recordings work by simply changing the extension to .mpg (Programme Stream).

If you have access to ffmpeg ( https://ffmpeg.org/ ) you could extract the audio data as an mp2 file. I use a simple dos batch file to convert whole series. The "extract" part of the method looks like this:
----extract.bat-----
"C:\...\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg" -i %1.ts -acodec copy -vn %1.mp2
---------------------
where C:\...\ etc would be your path to ffmpeg.exe.
I then, from a dos window, type (for example): call extract "Some Programme_20170826_1338" to get Some Programme_20170826_1338.mp2
(If I want to convert a whole directory of radio, I use dir/b *.ts > a.bat to get a list and edit a.bat to put the call extracts in and replace the .ts with ")
It may not be the most convenient method but it works for me. If your player then doesn't recognise .mp2 files you could try renaming these to .mp3 - this also works for me.

As EEPhil says, for this sort of thing, ffmpeg is the tool to use.
If you really need MP3 (ie your player can't cope with mp2):
Code:
ffmpeg -i infile.ts -f mp3 -acodec mp3 -aq 2 -vn outfile.mp3
And if you'd prefer AAC:
Code:
ffmpeg -i infile.tx -c:a aac -q:a 2 outfile.m4a
Putting it all together (in bash, so on Linux/Macintosh) to convert all ts files:
Code:
find . -name *.ts -exec ffmpeg -i \{} -c:a aac -q:a 2 \{}.m4a  \;

You can do the conversion on the hummy itself, but transcoding like that is dead slow. Better use your PC.

I use the free tsMuxer utility to extract the audio from my .ts recordings to copy to my Sansa Clip+ PMP. Drag and drop from Windows Explorer and jobs done though I also use the Renamer utility to tidy up the filenames to something shorter and more readable on the small screen of the Clip+.

I do have Audicity too but use that for recording online audio streams from the likes of BBC Sports such as the F1 practise sessions which have been booted off R5SX by cricket, tennis etc etc so not recordable on a PVR.

Last edited:
I have been looking for a good way to convert radio programmes recorded on the Humax to mp3s, and I've finally found this. It works well for me, and might help others:

www.wikihow.com/Extract-the-Audio-From-an-MPEG-Video-File-With-Audacity

Audacity, of course, allows you to crop the resulting files before saving them to mp3.
Audacity is slow to load the original file and slow to export (although obviously a better PC would help, see my ruminations in the 'Arms!), and re-encodes whether the source was in the right format or not. Personally I use the MP3 conversion (full mode) on the HDR-FOX - I simply record (or use sweeper to move) the programme into my [MP3] folder, which is marked for auto-conversion. Then (admittedly some hours later) what I want is in proper MP3 without any intervention from me.

This topic ought to be in the Audio/Video File Manipulation section of the forum.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/download-audio-only-ts-recordings.3220/#post-37740

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/radio-downloader.4329/page-2#post-53648

Last edited:
To add to the above. Before extracting the audio stream it is possible to trim the recordings with nicesplice. With radio recordings, bookmarking with the remote control handset does not work, but you can add bookmarks through Webif. What I do is play the recording over the network on an Android tablet (ES file explorer [LAN] and MX player), you can do similar with a PC (Windows Explorer [Network] and VLC or Windows Media Player) to get the start and end times (to the second) and then I bookmark these times through Webif. If you then trim (nicesplice) and extract/ convert the audio track, the resulting mp3 file contains just the portion of the audio you want.
Note that if you trim a radio recording with nicesplice (through Webif) the trimmed ts file will be unplayable on the HDR-FOX itself, but the file extraction/ conversion will still work. If you want the ts file to play on the HDR-FOX, run nicesplice from the command line (Telnet session) with the '-noStripEPG' option. How to do this is described in the wiki.

Back