Converting American wifi adapter to use European channels

Luke

Well-Knwοn Мember
I bought the Netis WF2151 N600 Wireless Dual Band Adapter almost a year ago because I wanted to own a long range wifi adapter, preferably with the RT5572 chipset (which is OK with the HDR-2000T/HDR-1800T).

Amazon listing:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M33T1CA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

All the item's manufacturer's packaging and documentation was targeted for a European purchaser. But the item itself does not match the packaging which came with it as it is limited to the American channels and can not see the 2.4GHz channels 12 and 13.

I looked around to see if this could be updated but could not find anything at all.

Any ideas whether it would be possible to update the adapter if I really wanted to so that it works on channels 12 and 13?

Would the hardware for the different markets be the same but the adapter has some different software configuration value(s)?

I don't really need to get it to work on channels 12 and 13 as I have others that are almost as receptive on the other channels but am curious especially after MET got the 8.1 sticker adapter to work on the HDR-FOX T2 after 'updating' it.

Does it have any kind of configuration settings, presumably in a Windows driver or something? I'm not suggesting the configuration would be stored on the dongle in flash (although it might be). I'm used to playing with Ethernet-connected adapters, and they tend to have web browser control panels with a country setting to define the frequency band it operates in.

It came with a CD that I presumed would just be drivers. Thanks. I'll dig it out and see if has anything else on it. I was presuming that it would n9ot be as simple as that to stop USA Americans updating it to use channels that are not permitted for home use.

It depends on whether the frequency range is fixed in the hardware or if it is software configurable. On Windows, for example, you might be able to activate channels 12 and 13 by changing the region. I don't know if this setting is then stored on the device itself to enable this option by default.

I was presuming that it would n9ot be as simple as that to stop USA Americans updating it to use channels that are not permitted for home use.
There's nothing stopping me selecting a non-UK frequency range on my (say) WR702N.

Back