Cooling Fan

Since the recent firmware update I've noticed the cooling fan has been coming on a lot.
I don't remember ever hearing it before the update to be honest, but lately as I turn the unit off I notice the fan has been on, stopping about 10 seconds after powering down.

I seem to remember reading (maybe on hummy.org.uk) that it only spins up if the humax is getting too hot.

Anyone else noticed it being on more?
Should I be worried?

cant say i've ever heard mine mate?

does it feel excessively hot to the touch?? mines inside a cupboard and on top of topfield, never even feels warm to me, and its left on all the time

no fan noise from mine that i've noticed

its in a unit with AV receiver,dvd and xbox 360 sat on top of it which does run hot.

if noise gets really bad, it may indicate fan is about to die

cant say i've ever heard mine mate?

does it feel excessively hot to the touch?? mines inside a cupboard and on top of topfield, never even feels warm to me, and its left on all the time
You would be better off putting your Toppy on top of your Hummy so that you don't cover the Toppy ventilation slots.;)

My box does get hot but the fan ( if it's on) is unobtrusive .

It's placed on top of a video recorder with my 9300 on top of the Fox T2

Gerry

On the 9200 if noise was a problem some people used to reduce the voltage to the fan, slowing it and reducing the noise.

The noise isn't loud enough to really hear when the TV on, but when I turn the TV and box off, obviously the sound goes off, you can definitely hear it.
It's nowhere near what my 9200 was.
The unit is on a shelf at the top of the TV cabinet by itself so ventilation isn't a problem.
It's warm to touch the top of the box, not hot, mainly at the back left.

Here are some measurments taken from the bottom of the case From cold :-
fan full on at 36.0C
half on at 24.5C
Quarter on at 23.3C
fan off at 23.0C
Measured on two different units, the full cycle takes about an hour

I have just got my HDR-Fox T2 1TB and I was surprised to hear the fan come on after all the comments I had read previously stating that it only comes on when it gets hot.

There does seem to be a pattern to mine. After it has been on for about an hour the fan starts up and probably stays on for a about 20 mins or so, but then goes off and doesnt come on again. This seems to happen whether its just idle or playing/recording. It doesnt sound fast, but it is quite high pitched which surprised me and I can hear it in the background over the TV. Even though I have come from a fanless Toppy, its not as noisy as my parents 9200.

I wondererd if maybe it was doing some kind of temperature calibration??

Mine is in a very well ventilated cabinet and has the latest firmware.

I hear the fan 'cycling' from time-to-time in my 1TB HDR (FYI, it is actually a 500GB HDD machine I upgraded to a 1TB). I only notice it when there is a very quiet moment in the program I'm watching.

I use SmartMonTools (a package you can install via the WebIF). It is run in a FTP (PuTTy) session. It gives you, amongst other things, the temp of the HDD.

That graph is seriously likeable, which brings to mind another job for the BYTs:

Log the temperature as a background process every 5 minutes, and make the results available as a graph in the WebIF diagnostics and also downloadable as a CSV (timestamp plus temperature) for inclusion in a PC spreadsheet. Please. Thanks.

Does the processor have an accessible temp sensor? Or the fan?

Great minds :) on-box graphing wouldn't be too hard - I can have a crack at it later. We can graph all sorts of things once the framework's done!

Back