Copy files Humax to Humax

PJH

I have an HDR-Fox T2. it's starting to fail (won't record) so I've bought a new one to replace it.

Is there an EASY way to copy all my existing recordings from my old box to the new one that I've just bought?

Thanks.

"Easy" depends whether you have any HiDef recordings you feel attached to, and how comfortable you are with the idea of installing the custom firmware.

We can offer you methods however you answer the above questions, but some will be easier than others. We could probably have saved you the bother of buying a new HDR-FOX as well - there are effective tools for overcoming some disk problems.

Yes most of my recording are HiDef so I need them.

Happy to install custom firmware if that's easiest thing to do.

OK, well if as I suspect your drive has gone read-only, you will need to sort that out before there is anything we can do to rescue the HiDef recordings (at which point the old HDR-FOX will probably work normally again).

Gen up on the custom firmware (see the links in my signature panel) and then install the latest (2.14 at present). You do not need to run the web stage of the installation at this point (it probably would not work), but you will need to establish a Telnet command console session to the server you just installed on the HDR. Details about Telnet are in the Trail Guide (footnote to Stage 3B) and/or Wiki HERE.

You will get a system menu with some disk repair options - see this topic HERE (click). Maintenance Mode is what you want, detailed in the Wiki HERE (click).

Once you are booted in Maintenance Mode, connect by Telnet again and choose option 1 (fix-disk). Let us know what happens.

Thanks I'll try this tomorrow.

Sounds like I might be able to fix my current HDR and send the new one (unopened) back to Amazon. Is that likely, or am I being overly optimistic?

Thanks I'll try this tomorrow.

Sounds like I might be able to fix my current HDR and send the new one (unopened) back to Amazon. Is that likely, or am I being overly optimistic?
It depends what is actually wrong with it. We'll have to wait and see.

No problem.

Following you upgrade instructions, I've fallen at the first hurdle (maybe the second). I have successfully got the .hdf file onto a FAT32 USB stick. But when I plug it into the Humax box (in standby mode) and turn the box on, I am prompted to copy the files - rather than an installation starting.

So seems like the box is recognizing the USB, but not the file type?

(Tried plugging USB into slot on the back. This time the box does not even recognize the USB.)

Have you got the correct file for the HDR (not the HD version), and have you extracted it from the folder and placed it in the root of the USB flash drive?

I believe so. I've got HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf, and it is in the root.

I noticed that if I look at menu->settings then on the menu installation is greyed out. I wonder if that's a related problem?

Is your box recording or playing a file, as this would cause the installation option to be greyed out.

I noticed that if I look at menu->settings then on the menu installation is greyed out. I wonder if that's a related problem?
In this case, Installation has nothing to do with it. That gets greyed out (usually) when you are recording something.

I suggest trying another stick. References:

Things Every... section 12
Installation procedure

Update: the problem was that the HDR-FOX was not being given chance to shut down, so it was not going through boot when turned on again.

No it isn't. But it's got real problems (see earlier in the thread) which is why I'm doing this upgrade.

Hmm. If we can't crack this there is no way to get at your HiDef content. Get hold of another stick before we give up (Tesco cheapie will do).

Correction: if we can't crack this we will have to start talking about taking the drive out and hooking it up to a PC to run a file-system repair, and then put it back (the content is encrypted and the original HDR-FOX is the only thing that "knows" how to decrypt it).

Alternatives to repairing the existing file system include preparing a new hard drive to transplant in and then transfer the existing content to it (you have a drive in the new HDR-FOX...).

PJH do you have FTP access to the Humax you want to recover the High-Def. files from? If you so you can use FOXY (See notes HERE) to decrypt the files and then copy them to a USB device

That's not going to work with the hard drive having gone read-only. We are currently trying to fix it so that the OP can use Foxy.

Back