Copy protected HD ITV movie

Brian Grayson

Can anybody help? I recorded back to the Future III the other night in HD onto my HDR fox2. I would like to make a copy to move elsewhere, but when I try to pass it to a usb stick it advises that the film is COPY PROTECTED, so will not do it. My box has custom firmware and I can copy other HD stuff straight to the stick for playback on the computer, but this problem is obviously not associated with the Humax encryption.
Any ideas, or is it something outside the Humax`s capability?
Thanks in anticipation.
BrianG

On the Humax is there a picture of a disc with a red cross through it against the recording?
On the Humax is there an 'Enc' icon against the recording still?
Also on the web-if which icons are against the recording?

Any ideas, or is it something outside the Humax`s capability?
It won't be outside the custom firmware's ability, but first we have to diagnose whether what you are seeing is something new. What have you done so far - do you have the auto-unprotect package installed?

If this is all new to you, see Things Every... (click) section 5 and follow the link to further reading.

Thanks for your rapid responses.
The media list entry for the file shows the "ENC" box, but also a picture of a DVD with a red "X" on it.
I have many other HD recordings with the "ENC" symbol and I can copy those to my usb stick and play on the computer using VLC player.
Hence my assumption that this was some addition protection applied by the broadcaster.
I have had a quick look at the "things every..." link, but have not got my head around it. When I installed the CF some time ago, it was soon after Foxy became available and I read about its incorporation into the CF.
To date (and I rarely need to make an HD recording copy), I have seen the ENC, but not having had any problems was unaware of addtional options to un-protect.
Hence my confusion - is unprotect a different facility from the one foxy (or its CF version) is meant to deal with - that is, broadcaster added protection?
If so, not being aware of the feature, I have not installed it.
I shall go back to the "things every..." and re-read and try to understand better. Unfortunately, since it was so long ago that I put CF on, I need to go back to the beginning to recall how to add packages.
I may need to come back with requests for clarification - sorry if I do. Thanks for the help, so far
Briang

I have many other HD recordings with the "ENC" symbol and I can copy those to my usb stick and play on the computer using VLC player.
This is not possible. If you use Foxy to massage the recording so that you can copy it unencrypted, the Enc flag should no longer be there before you copy the recording to USB.

Yes, the auto-unprotect package does a complete job - Foxy only does the bare minimum necessary to decrypt on USB copy.

The reference to decryption from Things Every... section 5 spells out all the options you have for decryption, you certainly don't need to be using Foxy any more if you have the CF installed.

Unfortunately, since it was so long ago that I put CF on, I need to go back to the beginning to recall how to add packages.
If you are still on version 2.xx CF then you won't be able to add packages. It is recommended that you update to 3.10 CF anyway.
Then install the Web Interface, followed by the Auto-Unprotect package.

Hummy.tv wiki HMT file format page said:
0x03DC 1 byte 0x00 Flags byte.
bit 1 00000010 'Copy Limited' flag. 0 = Unlimited copies. If set, copy count limit is in offset 0x431.
bit 2 00000100 'Encrypted' flag. 1 = Decryption allowed. Determines if decryption on copy to USB is allowed.
0x0431 1 byte 0x00 Number of copies allowed when 'Copy Limited' flag is set in 0x3DC
The copy limited flag is rarer but it can be removed by manipulating the hmt file (see ab0ve). If the value at 03DC is set to '03' you get both the 'enc' and copy-protection flags, and if the value at 0431 is '00' then you can't copy it to a USB drive. Both Foxy and auto-unprotect should remove the copy protection, clearing both flags.

Thanks for your rapid response, again, Black Hole.
As soon as I saw your comment that what I claimed to have done was not possible, I had to try what I did last night when trying to understand whether I was doing something wrong when the back To The Future wouldn`t copy and I believed I had managed to copy an episode of "Trust me I`m a doctor" (which has the "ENC" marker, but no DVD with red X. WRONG!! Don`t what I did last night but I can`t reproduce what I thought I had. You are correct "this is not possible". I cannot explain what I did, nor what I thought I saw. Now I am working my way through the latest CF update and will see what I can achieve but, as I expected, I am recalling little of what I did originally, so am having to carefully work through it all.
Thanks
Briang

Looks like I`ve made a complete mess of it all.
I loaded the CF3 firmware, following instructions and got a successfully downloaded message. I then moved on to webif and all appeared to work, except when I scrolled down the page to see what had loaded there were some failures, though I didn`t record the details. However, I could not find how to bring up the web interface and, looking back on the instructions, it said to type in my fox ip address. When I did this (on my pc) it said the site rerquired a login and password -humaxftp/0000 didn`t work, so I was uncertain what to input. Messing around on the fox, I could get to my media list and play content, but obvously then did something (technical term!) and that was it. If I try to open the portal I get message on display panel "crash, rebooting" and then the cf number and - nothing else. press menu or portal - instruction appears in panel, but the screen stays blank. I cannot access any recordings - it just will not play. Followed the CF installation instructions again and got the same successful message, but the box still does nothing. Well and trully mucked up - HELP!
Thanks
Briang
P.S. along with all this I seem to have messed up my account on Hummytv, so have re-signed (different name or login may show - sorry)

When I did this (on my pc) it said the site rerquired a login and password -humaxftp/0000 didn`t work, so I was uncertain what to input.
You're supposed to use your web browser, not the FTP client. That's why it's called the Web Interface. I get the impression you've never actually used it before, even if you did have it installed. If you are using a web browser, something isn't right here.

If you need spoon-feeding, try reading this: Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

Account problem was that although I had accessed it to ask my question, when I got into problems last night, I tried to log in and realised I had forgotten my password (or username or both!) and could not get in whatever I tried. I couldn`t just click "forgotten password" because the username I put in was not recognised. Having got into such a mess with the CF flashing, I got flustered and thought the easiest route was to create a new account. How the name/password for this is different from the old, I have no way of knowing, but I have recorded the new details, so it shouldn`t happen again!
Yes, I know I am performing at a level that makes an idiot look like an expert, but at my age I find things don`t stick as well as they used to do. Sorry
Briang

CF and Webif installation
I followed the instructions in "http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Install_Modified_Firmware" to install the firmware and messages indicated this was succesful.
I then used the link at the bottom of that to take me to the webif installation and used Firefox to access the machine`s ip address. As I said last night all seemed to go correctly, but I saw some error messages at the bottom which indicated certain elements had failed, but there was no overriding message that I had a problem. When I tried get to the webif screen as suggested (by inserting the ip address again into Firefox), I got the message that a username and password were required and there appeared no way I could get around that to get in.
I`m sorry if I confused you with my pleas last night, but the circles I was going in were preventing any logical thinking on my part.
I installed the cf many years ago when I first got the machine, but have not routinley used it for anything other than time-shifting.
I recall getting to the webif page then caused me much difficulty, but I did manage to install some packages at that time. The subsequent passage of time and dulling of my brain have not helped me doing it all again.
After my pleas last night, I reinstalled the cf and managed to get the machine to respond, but if the webif is still there, I still can`t get at it (with Firefox) - all I get when inputing the ip address is the request for a username and password. Clicking anything gets me "access unauthorised".
Today I shall read the new link you have given me.
Thanks for your help.
Briang

When I tried get to the webif screen as suggested (by inserting the ip address again into Firefox), I got the message that a username and password were required and there appeared no way I could get around that to get in.
For some reason firefox things you want to FTP into the Humax. You don't.
Presumably you are not prefixing the Humax IP address with ftp:/ ?
Do you have an FTP add-on in firefox?

It's possible that a password has been set at some time in an earlier webif installation. OP should access the box via a telnet session. (default password is four zeros) then enter the passwd option which will remove any user access control from the web interface and restore access from Firefox.

Yes, looks exactly like this. Whichever browser I type the Fox ip address into this is the dialogue box I get.
Saw the comment about Telnet, but what little expertise I have tends to be on windows OS, so such a comment goes over my head.
I would imagine I needed to open this telnet dialogue from a browseer again, but unless the network knows I want to do things on the Fox, I can`t see how I do this.
Interestingly, when I look at my files list today after another CF flash, ALL of the "ENC" markers have disappeared, even the back To The Future one - including the disc with the red cross. However, I know I have not loaded the unprotect package because I can`t access webif for the reason above.
What I now get if I try to copy the BTTF file to usb is a message "file added to list for copy" - what list and where?
I`m really impressed and grateful for the time you guys are offering to this senile old %$*@. I hope I can get there in the end.
Briang

It's possible that a password has been set at some time in an earlier webif installation. OP should access the box via a telnet session. (default password is four zeros) then enter the passwd option which will remove any user access control from the web interface and restore access from Firefox.
My guess would be that the OP will need a lot of 'hand holding' to do this, and I don't have the necessary expertise to walk him through it.

..... after another CF flash.......
Stop reflashing the firmware. You are achieving absolutely nothing by doing this. Concentrate instead on learning how to use telnet. I'm sure there must be an idiots guide somewhere in the wiki, or BH's Things every (click) thread.
Ezra and BH can fight it out as to who posts a link first.

Back