Copying files from Foxsat

peterpi

I've had the latest custom firmware on the machine for some time and it's performed brilliantly.

I have an issue with archiving stuff of the HDD, which I've not had in the past. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the FW but I need some advice.

I've formatted an external HDD with FAT 32 and EXT 3 and plugged it into the front USB port, but when I get to the Fie Manager, the green copy option is greyed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks Peter

With the CF there is no need to copy to usb. You can do it directly to a PC by either mapping the Foxsat drive in windows or using FTP.

Briefly with File Manager go right to the USB drive icon and click OK to open the drive. Now go left and move to a recording, the copy option should be enabled.

Assuming you have file sharing correctly set up.
File sharing does not need to be set up to use FTP. However, if you want your Foxsat to appear as a drive in Windows Explorer then you will need to install the samba package.

I know file sharing isn't necessary for FTP. The host could be anywhere, not in the Windoze neighbourhood.

However, the file sharing has to be set up on the PC, too. I don't think Windoze 8 does that, and possibly Windoze 7 doesn't either, for security reasons.

Moreover, the Foxsat will appear twice: once as a media server and once as a drive.

Lots to take in there. What should I format the drive in, EXT2, 3 or FAT 32? I've got a FAT 32 drive in there at the moment. A 500 Gig drive out of a Sly box with a couple of files on there, an avi file and a TS file. But I don't see either file when I select the USB drive and open the "sda 1 (2)" folder. The (2) suggests it knows there are (2) files on there.

I know I can download them but there are over fifty that I want to shift, and as you will know, I can only select one at a time.

Thanks
Pete

I know file sharing isn't necessary for FTP. The host could be anywhere, not in the Windoze neighbourhood.

However, the file sharing has to be set up on the PC, too. I don't think Windoze 8 does that, and possibly Windoze 7 doesn't either, for security reasons.

Moreover, the Foxsat will appear twice: once as a media server and once as a drive.

Not sure what your point is. Using ftp you log onto the Foxsat using the internal ip address it has on your router. Outside your network this has no meaning at all. If you want to transfer 50 or more to a PC using a programme like filezilla you simply locate them on the Foxsat using the normal windows conventions on the right hand side. On the windows side open the drive and folder you want the files copying to and drag and drop the selection. You only need the .ts files.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

And what connection is the DLNA server got to do with either drive mapping or FTP. Confused by your other statement, the Foxsat has no DLNA client capability so it will simply not appear. It does have the capability to act as a DLNA server, a totally different situation.

The DLNA server will only appear if you are using a DLNA client. It doesn't appear in FTP software, we aren't trying to stream the content only copy the digital data files.

Last edited:
Lots to take in there. What should I format the drive in, EXT2, 3 or FAT 32? I've got a FAT 32 drive in there at the moment. A 500 Gig drive out of a Sly box with a couple of files on there, an avi file and a TS file. But I don't see either file when I select the USB drive and open the "sda 1 (2)" folder. The (2) suggests it knows there are (2) files on there.

I know I can download them but there are over fifty that I want to shift, and as you will know, I can only select one at a time.

Thanks
Pete

I don't understand your point. If you are trying to copy files directly from the Foxsat to a usb drive you do not see any of the file structure just the video folder (which happens to be in the SDA3 partition) and the Folder structure on the USB drive. Copying a programme transfers 3 files xxxx.ts, xxxx.nts and xxxx.hmt. Only the xxxx.ts is required (in fact if you have the others present it confuses the HDR FOX T2). If you install the CF the destination drive filesystem is irrelevant. Using either FTP or remote drive mapping the source sends the data, the destination device will write the data to any file system it understands.

You do not have to select each file at a time even just using a vanilla foxsat. You can select all the files in a folder. (You can delete multiple files the same way).

After opening the USB destination device as described above, go left and open a folder with multiple recordings you want to copy. Press yellow to toggle edit mode toggle a tick on the recordings you want to copy/move. Press green, at the end of the process select retain existing. At the folder level you can select multiple folders to delete the same way.

It's way simpler using the CF (especially FTP)

Thank you for your answer Graham. I'm afraid I've had one of those senior moments. Your instructions were, of course spot on, as although I've done loads of backups from the Foxsat in the past, on this occasion I did not open the USB drive prior to me commencing the copy. I just opened the USB drive, created a new folder on it and the fifty something files are on their way over. The USB drive is formatted to FAT 32, but the largest files are 1.3 Gbyte so I shouldn't run into the two GB limit .

I'll have to give FTP a go and see how I get one.

The custom firmware has made the Foxsat so much more friendly I wish I'd bought another one as a backup. I'll have to be on the lookout for one.

Cheers
Pete

Thank you for your answer Graham. I'm afraid I've had one of those senior moments. Your instructions were, of course spot on, as although I've done loads of backups from the Foxsat in the past, on this occasion I did not open the USB drive prior to me commencing the copy. I just opened the USB drive, created a new folder on it and the fifty something files are on their way over. The USB drive is formatted to FAT 32, but the largest files are 1.3 Gbyte so I shouldn't run into the two GB limit .

I'll have to give FTP a go and see how I get one.

The custom firmware has made the Foxsat so much more friendly I wish I'd bought another one as a backup. I'll have to be on the lookout for one.

Cheers
Pete

The file size limit for FAT32 is one byte less than 4GB.

Not sure what your point is.

Nor yours. I have used FTP for years, don't try to teach me how FTP works. Your previous comment implied I had no idea how FTP worked, and I pointed out that in general FTP has nothing whatsoever to do with network neighbourhoods, as the FTP server could well be on another network. (Which you chose to misunderstand.) I have no problems with FTP, and it was my preferred method of transfer.

My comments were directed at clicking on the Foxsat to open it in your network neighbourhood. I pointed out that (a) samba must be enabled on the Foxsat, and (b) old-style file sharing must be enabled on the PC. In the latest version of Windoze, given these two conditions, the Network section of the File Browser will show two occurrences of the Foxsat: once as a media server and once as a "PC", the latter being the one you must open to transfer the files.

Alternatively, you can stick in \\aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd in File Explorer if the Foxsat is accessible but doesn't show under Network. (Where the Foxsat has IP address aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd; you can log into your router to get that, or use something like Advanced IP Scanner.)

Clear enough now?:duel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so used to using the T2 that I forgot about the two files that accompany the .TS file. I was thinking that I could use the Foxsat to play .TYS, .AVI, .MP4 etc. As Del boy would say if he was my brother "Peter, you plonker".

Now to follow Mikes suggestions.

Update: I have mongoose enabled, but all I see is TwonkyServer [Foxsat-HDR] on the network. I have WIN 8.1 on this laptop, so I'l persevere. Any suggestions welcomed.

Pete

Last edited:
I have mongoose enabled, but all I see is TwonkyServer [Foxsat-HDR] on the network. I have WIN 8.1 on this laptop, so I'l persevere. Any suggestions welcomed.
Mongoose was the server for the web interface (now replaced by lighttpd server). You need to have samba installed and running before you'll see your HDR in Explorer.

I am so used to using the T2 that I forgot about the two files that accompany the .TS file. I was thinking that I could use the Foxsat to play .TYS, .AVI, .MP4 etc. As Del boy would say if he was my brother "Peter, you plonker".

Now to follow Mikes suggestions.

Update: I have mongoose enabled, but all I see is TwonkyServer [Foxsat-HDR] on the network. I have WIN 8.1 on this laptop, so I'l persevere. Any suggestions welcomed.

Pete

You have to use AV2HDR on suitable source files to play back non native content on a Foxsat-hdr. This creates the support files required.

Back