Copying large files from HDR

StanLaurel

Hi All. I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but I've recently installed the custom firmware and I'm in the process of backing up a number of files from the HDD of my HDR FOX T2. Most files are ok because they are less than 4GB in size.

However, I have one that is 8GB. I cannot transfer this to my memory stick as its formatted in FAT32. If I format NTFS the Humax cannot write to the stick. I also don't know how to format the stick in EXT3, if thats what would work for me.

So what is/are the best options for me to download files larger than 4GB? I apologise for what may seem to be a basic question, but I have a bit of trouble navigating the Wiki to find specific information.

One or more of the below may help.
  • Post in the CF forum.
  • Install the ntfs-3g package.
  • Research and install SMB file sharing and share the stick from whatever PC you're using to format it.
  • Reformat the stick as exFAT and install the exfat package.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and the great guides. FYI this is the method I now employ to back up my recordings. Its probably a granny-suck-eggs guide, but it works for me and may be useful for someone else.
  • Install the virtual-disk2 USB drive package. With this you won't have to faff about with external memory sticks and making sure they are formatted correctly.
  • Install the auto unprotect package. This means you wont need to run Foxy or copy hmt files to and from your T2, and all existing and new recordings are automatically unprotected.
  • Navigate to the file browser, and select all of the files you want to decrypt.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the list, select 'Decrypt' from the drop-down and click the Queue for button.
  • Click the View Queue button to monitor the decryption progress.*
  • Once complete, copy all of your decrypted files to the virtual USB.
  • Open Windows File Explorer, and FTP to the virtual drive on your T2.
  • Finally, copy your files to the PC.
* I have experienced a couple of decryption events that have failed. Attempting to decrypt the files again also failed. The solution was to use Decrypt Direct. This process took about 5 hours per file.

I don't understand the reason for including both copying to virtual-disk2, (which in it self would decrypt any unprotected files), and also decrypting prior to copying to virtual-disk2.

Also when FTPing them to your PC it is the PC that is writing the files to their final destination. It is that destination which needs to be a format that can cope with your largest files size and be a format that your PC can cope with.

What is the advantage of using virtual-disk2 and also decrypting prior to copying to virtual-disk2?

(Post prepared before knowledge of post 7)

Erm... there are a couple of superfluous actions in there:
  • Install the virtual-disk2 USB drive package. With this you won't have to faff about with external memory sticks and making sure they are formatted correctly.
  • Install the auto unprotect package. This means you wont need to run Foxy or copy hmt files to and from your T2, and all existing and new recordings are automatically unprotected.
  • Navigate to the file browser, and select all of the files you want to decrypt.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the list, select 'Decrypt' from the drop-down and click the Queue for button.
I can't understand why you think you need to copy the files anywhere after decryption, and as this is in the non-CF HDR-FOX section of the forum, it was reasonable to assume you were not talking about methods supported by custom firmware. Copy to USB (or virtual USB) achieves decryption without need for CF, and there is no need to decrypt separately.

Items 2,3,4,5 in your list are only to do with decryption, not copying large files. Everything anyone needs to know about decryption is spelled out here: Decryption Guide.

Alternatively you could:

Having installed CF, install the samba package, and enable SMB1 support on the WIndows machine, and then the HDR-FOX will show up as a network drive - no need to faff around with FTP.

I have experienced a couple of decryption events that have failed. Attempting to decrypt the files again also failed. The solution was to use Decrypt Direct. This process took about 5 hours per file.
What? I do not recognise this "Decrypt Direct"*, and whatever it is it shouldn't take 5 hours unless you used software decryption and the file is extremely large.

* OK, I see now: Queue for... Decryption (direct, slower). That is software decryption, and you should not need it**. If hardware decryption fails, check all the conditions are satisfied as specified in the Decryption Guide. Just how big are your recordings???

** Software decryption is useful for HD-FOX (no hardware decryption unless forced to run HDR-FOX firmware... and then other stuff doesn't work), or if the encrypted recording is not from the same unit (different encryption key).

Its probably a granny-suck-eggs guide
Not at all, it's a completely irrelevant guide. Sorry. All the information anyone needs is already here, if somebody can't find it they only have to ask... and if that is what you had asked for we would have told you (instead of answering the question you actually asked).

Last edited:
It might be interesting to see the log files (auto.log) for one of the recordings that failed to be decrypted using the accelerated method.

Thanks again for your replies and suggestions guys. I'm still learning... :unsure:

I used the "direct" decryption method on files that are about 5GB in size.

@/df, is this what you mean from auto.log?

auto.log.PNG

By the way, can an admin move this tread to the relevant forum section please?

For reference: on my HD-FOX, a 90-minute HiDef recording of 4.76GiB queued for software decryption took 1h53m, although the encryption key is optimised for faster decryption.

By the way:
Install the auto unprotect package. This means you wont need to run Foxy or copy hmt files to and from your T2, and all existing and new recordings are automatically unprotected.
...is only relevant for HiDef recordings.

That was the log that I meant. If you still have the encrypted file it might be possible to diagnose the issue, in case the decryption code can be tweaked to avoid the failure case: perhaps the recording is wrongly indexed by DLNA. What I have in mind is to run the decryption at the command line:
Code:
cd /mnt/hd2/My\ Video
ls -l Real\ Steel_20150125_1755.ts
wget --progress=dot:giga -O Real_Steel_test.ts http://127.0.0.1:9000/web/media/11.TS
ls -l Real_Steel_test.ts
Having said that I tried a similar test with a recording that had repeatedly failed to be decrypted using the queue and the decrypted version was fetched with no errors.

If you still have the encrypted file it might be possible to diagnose the issue
Unfortunately I only have the decrypted file, sorry. I'll let you know if it happens again. Could it be anything to do with the fact that I still have my original disk in my T2, which is now 7 years old?

Thanks again guys for your support and patience with this CF noob.

Could it be anything to do with the fact that I still have my original disk in my T2, which is now 7 years old?
Probably not. If the HDD were failing you would see more serious problems, and I have original HDDs spinning with 50,000 hours+ in HDRs 10 years old.

Back