Copying recorded tv files from HDR Fox T2 to FVP-5000T

yan

Hi, Ive just bought an FVP-5000T and want to trasfer all my recorded TV files from my old HDR Fox T2.
I thought this would be easy as I have a 2T ext USB HD, but as this is NTFS and not FAT32 it wont work.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

See Things Every... (click) sections 12 and 5. The easy answer is to use the HDR-FOX menus to format the drive so it becomes Ext3, but you won't be able to transfer HiDef recordings unless you "unprotect" them first. The easiest way to do that is to install custom firmware, and then you might as well stick with NTFS (using the new facilities available by going custom).

You could simply leave them where they are and watch the HDR-FOX recordings using the 5000T via DLNA.

Last edited:
The easy answer is to use the HDR-FOX menus to format the drive so it becomes Ext3,
Will that not destroy all his existing recordings? Bollox. Just re-read opening post.:oops: Miss-interpreted HD for HD not HDD

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll have read through.
I will be getting of the HDR Fox T2 unit once I have all the files copied across to the new FVP-5000. Mostly are in SD, so maybe I could use a std USB FAT32 pendrive? Could be a long procedure though and not sure how large a SD 2hr film is? If I do install the latest cutom firmware from here, will that just allow me to easily copy to an NTFS HDD?

Thnaks again...

If I do install the latest cutom firmware from here, will that just allow me to easily copy to an NTFS HDD?
Yes.

The next question is: what do you intend to do with the HDR-FOX? If you have no interest in it, the CF aficionados will be glad to take it off your hands.

Assume the custom firmware is ver#3.13 from here?
So with this loaded is it just a matter of connecting the USB ntfs HDD and the std Humax commands will just allow me to copy the SD files (but not HD files) to the HDD?

Yes will be selling the HDR Fox T2 once the files are copied over...

Thanks

Assume the custom firmware is ver#3.13 from here?
So with this loaded is it just a matter of connecting the USB ntfs HDD and the std Humax commands will just allow me to copy the SD files (but not HD files) to the HDD?
No. The raw CF install is just a framework upon which to hang the specific facilities you require in the form of installable packages. You will need to do some configuring for your own circumstances, in particular installing the ntfs3g package (for NTFS write capability). For your HiDef recordings, you need to install the auto-unprotect package and allow time for it to do its work (that does not decrypt, but it then allows for HiDef content to be decrypted on transfer to USB the same as StDef). All the instructions are available in the linked references.

Note that you must then use the Humax on-screen menus to do the file copy (in order for the decryption to occur). This applies to both StDef and HiDef recordings.

Please check the resources linked to from Things Every... (click) - in particular:

Yes will be selling the HDR Fox T2 once the files are copied over...
You might change your mind on that once you see what the HDR-FOX+CF can do, but if not I'm sure there will be a queue for it here (not me - I already have five!). Note there is no CF for 5000T, or any of the Humax PVRs other than HD-FOX/HDR-FOX and FOXSAT-HD/FOXSAT-HDR.

Last edited:
According to a few reviews (and Humax of course), the FVP-5000 is an allround better unit than the HDR FOX T2, with built in Wifi etc...

I 'll see how it goes.

Thanks

According to a few reviews (and Humax of course), the FVP-5000 is an allround better unit than the HDR FOX T2, with built in Wifi etc...
As standard, yes maybe (but the 5000T has annoyances too, see the relevant section of this forum). But against HDR-FOX+CF - there are plenty of people who would disagree.

My impression is that it is the best Freeview box that Humax have released since the HDR-FOX T2. There are pluses and minuses between the two boxes (FVP-5000T has an extra tuner and a full set of catch up channels) but the user interface isn't as slick (more button presses for common tasks and less responsive UI); the HDR-FOX T2 has the custom firmware that extends its functionality in various ways and allows decryption of both SD and HD recordings for backup and/or playing on other devices. Interested to hear how you think the two units compare.

Hopefully will know soon enough.
Can you point me in the right direction for the latest 3.13 firmware download, as cant see this from the "latest firmware" page?
Thanks

Hi, Just upgraded my HDR FOX T2 with the latest HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13.hdr custom s/w and still having the same issue copying recored SD films programmes to the HDD. ie it just displays the message "cannot copy to NTFS format". Any more ideas?
Thanks

Hi, Just upgraded my HDR FOX T2 with the latest HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13.hdr custom s/w and still having the same issue copying recored SD films programmes to the HDD. ie it just displays the message "cannot copy to NTFS format". Any more ideas?
Installing the custom firmware alone is not enough. You also need to install the ntfs3g package to provide NTFS support; have you done that?

Back