Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

I read an interesting piece by George Osborne a couple of weeks ago in which he believed that few people in Britain would be upset if NI merged with the south. First time I've seen that in print. I expect most are fed up with the Island and their hang ups.

I think that is the only solution but is there anything in NI we will want to keep?

Last edited by a moderator:
he believed that few people in Britain would be upset if NI merged with the south.
When you look at it logically - it's hard to say they shouldn't merge.

In the light of BLM and all the slavery history being 'weaponised' why should Ireland not be one country?
Is NI really an integral part of the UK? More than Scotland - which is probably going away soon?
Wales is trickier as they don't have the natural resources of Ecosse, or the relatively narrow border.

Except religion screws it up and letting NI go could be taken as "The IRA won" and prides would be injured. :dunno:

Sums up half the problems in the world.
Only half? Belief in fantasy undermines scientific approaches to life, so we get alternative medicine, people urging their team to win on tv, people believing advertising hype, and all the other illogical things we do. Minor, I know, but they all add up to a maladjusted society, incapable of rational thought about anything.

Only half? Belief in fantasy undermines scientific approaches to life, so we get alternative medicine, people urging their team to win on tv, people believing advertising hype, and all the other illogical things we do. Minor, I know, but they all add up to a maladjusted society, incapable of rational thought about anything.
What a load of bollox. Belief in fantasy has been the foundation of many scientific theories later proven to be correct just as many alternative medicines have proven their worth after extensive research and are now used by pharmaceutical companies. Without fantasy and imagination we have no creativity.

What a load of bollox.
whatever
Beliefefefef in fantasy has been the foundation of many scientific theories later proven to be correct
Name them.
just as many alternative medicines have proven their worth after extensive research and are now used by pharmaceutical companies.
Name them. The pharmas find CAM very lucrative. Homeopathy and its ilk poison the minds of people about real medicine, real medical progress, not fantasy snake oil cures that are no better than placebos.
Withoututut fantasy ... we have no creativity.

What a load of bullshit!💩💩💩Want a list of times religion has held back science?

Or, indeed, perfectly normal primitive behaviour where "progress" has outpaced evolutionary adjustment.
And counter-productive, but can we define what is normal? Is it even worth doing that? More important is the pseudo-science that goes with irrational beliefs. It is fine to dream about progress, but that is different to having meaningless beliefs that are not verifiable.

I doubt if much progress came from those.

If you don't believe we all have basically a cave-man brain within us, there's nothing more I can say. Nature v. nurture. Repressed tribal instincts with no outlet.

What a load of bollox.
Since setting ignore on a couple of members some weeks ago it has been very entertaining seeing just one half of the conversations - with 99% of the responses being fundamentally that^^; though usually less blunt :rolling:

If you don't believe we all have basically a cave-man brain within us, there's nothing more I can say. Nature v. nurture. Repressed tribal instincts with no outlet.
We were here far before we became cavemen, that was a short phase of our history, and there is no evidence cavemen disliked cartoons, or prayed, or had bibles!

There is no excuse for irrational thoughts in this age. Blaming it on some mythical fiction is just as irrational! Repressed tribal instincts with no outlet my arse! Just bad behaviour, plain and simple.

Since setting ignore on a couple of members some weeks ago it has been very entertaining seeing just one half of the conversations - with 99% of the responses being fundamentally that^^; though usually less blunt :rolling:
Yeah, abuse with no backup!1616706120621.png

It succeeded in putting your back up but then again anyone who disagrees with your blinkered narrow minded self righteous perceptions of right and wrong does that.
More abuse with no reason. Is nobody on here capable of discussion without throwing a tantrum?

blinkered why?
narrow minded why?
self righteous why?

I am broad minded, probably more so than you.
I am not blinkered, any more than anyone else. I don't take irrational views as valid, but that doesn't make me blinkered.
I am not self righteous, that is just abusive. Is anyone who disagrees with you self righteous? That phrase implies I am constantly taking the moral high ground, and you have no evidence whatsoever of that.

I assumed the Hummy Arms was a place we could discuss things, but clearly only if we don't disagree, which isn't discussion.

Have an acorn.

PS Those alternative medicines, I think you will find, do not work. There are loads of research papers by the CAM people which do not correctly follow the rules for selecting a control group. None of their findings have held water. Read a book called Bad Science if you don't believe me, written by a medic called Ben Goldacre.

Seems like the person formerly known as Mike0001/Scrat has decided to piss off, because the posts I thought I had blocked are now visible with no means to turn the offensive content off! He's got the last laugh after all :(

Last edited:
Back