Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable.

david_n_c

Hi, I just ugraded to 1.03.12_mod_3.03 on my HDR Fox T2. Seemed to go ok. I got reboot loops when I turned back on so I ran the System Flush Update file. This solved the problem and everything seemed to work OK. Portal works fine and I can get iPlayer. I decided to upgrade the Webif and got the "Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock" problem. So basically if I go to 192.168.2.201 where the HDR web page is for me I can see the correct front page but if I open "Package Management" and go to the "Upgrades" tab I cannot upgrade webif from 1.0.16-3 (installed) to 1.2.2-9 (latest). If I click upgrade I get the "Processing request" message but it never completes. I waited half an hour. When I close the process and click the"Update package list from the internet" button or the "Upgrade all packages" button I get the following message - - -
>>> opkg upgrade
Collected errors:
* opkg_conf_load: Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable.
Updating package meta information
Done.
Updating diagnostic meta information
Done.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Try running the "general" diagnostic as a first step.

Well, if I go to "Package Management", click the "Upgrades" tab, go to the webif package and click the upgrade button
I do eventually get an error message, below. It seems to be telling me to run 'opkg update'. How do I do that? Thanks.

>>> opkg upgrade webif
Upgrading webif on root from 1.0.16-3 to 1.2.2-9...
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.2.2-9_mipsel.opk.
wget: download timed out
Upgrading webif-channelicons on root from 1.1.12-2 to 1.1.18...
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif-channelicons_1.1.18_mipsel.opk.
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif-channelicons_1.1.18_mipsel.opk, wget returned 1.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download webif-channelicons. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?

Click the "update package list from the Intenet" button at the top of the WebIF package management page.

Can't do it Black Hole. I get basically the same error message focussing on "Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable."
However I did manage to delete webif altogether. If I go to the ip number for the web page I can see the message that says that
the custom firmware installed successfully and I then click the yellow button to download and install the webif software. This brings
up the following error messages -

Downloading and installing full web interface...
This may take some time depending on your Internet connection speed.
Connection to online repository at http://hpkg.tv successful!
Updating package list...
Collected errors:
* opkg_conf_load: Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable.
Error retrieving package list from the Internet. Please check your connection
and try again.

but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with internet connection since I can watch iPortal OK.
Any ideas gratefully received.

Well, if I go to "Package Management", click the "Upgrades" tab, go to the webif package and click the upgrade button
I do eventually get an error message, below. It seems to be telling me to run 'opkg update'. How do I do that?
You can't because of the previous error. Did you run the diagnostic? Do that after you've done the disk check.

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit. I have downloaded an installed SSH-PuTTY. I ran this and telnetted into the HDR Fox T2. PuTTY is giving me an 8-choice menu. I have selected "Run a diagnostic". PuTTY is now asking me which one? This is fair question. I haven't got a clue. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

No, you don't want that. Did you read my guide? Once you have the Telnet menu, continue at Step 3.

I have selected "Run a diagnostic". PuTTY is now asking me which one? This is fair question. I haven't got a clue. Can someone help me out?
It really can't be this hard, can it???
Read post #2. Type "general", without the quotes. Press Return. If it says Pass on everything, select Restart in maintenance mode and follow what BH said.

When you say "It really can't be this hard, can it???" you have to remember that I don't know what "it" actually is.

OK. I ran the "general" diagnostic from telnet and everything passed. I then selected 1 and the HDR went into Maintenance Mode. I waited until Maintenance Mode showed on the front panel. The video had frozen at this point but I could still hear the audio. I closed the PuTTY console and opened it again. I had to do this because PuTTY hadn't given me the prompt back, just a row of dots. When the PuTTY config window opened I entered the IP number for the box and made sure the port no. was the same as before, 22, then I pressed enter. Nothing happened. Then a "PuTTY Fatal Error" box appeared which said "No route to host". If I click "OK" the PuTTY exits. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

You should be using port 23.
When you select 'telnet' as the protocol at the top, it should automatically change the port to 23.

When you say "It really can't be this hard, can it???" you have to remember that I don't know what "it" actually is.
Reading seems to be your problem.
The information is there but you just seem to skip it or ignore it or think you know better.
BH said use Telnet in post #6, but you had to go and use SSH didn't you, then you complain it doesn't work in maintenance mode. That's why you were told to use Telnet.
It really ISN'T this hard. You're just making it so.

If SSH-Putty doesn't work properly as you imply above, then why didn't you point this problem out at post#10 after david told us that's what he was using instead of being obtuse? BH's guide does suggest using Putty and if you don't know the difference (I didn't until I just Googled it) it can be hard.
Anything can be hard if you are not sure of what you are doing.

It's difficult to infer what people mean when they are imprecise. Frankly, I didn't even know SSH-Putty existed for Linux (I still don't and I'm not going to waste more of my time checking) - I thought it was just a Windows thing, but it's all a bit weird using it anyway when ordinary SSH and Telnet are probably more readily available. The guy never actually said whether he was using an SSH or Telnet connection - I just assumed it was SSH because of his usage of this program. But what is a fact is that he was told to use Telnet; he wasn't told to use SSH.
I don't particularly like you trying to blame me for his inability to follow simple instructions either.
BH's suggestion is just a sop to ignorant Windows users who don't know how to find a Telnet program. Using Putty is overkill for most people when Telnet is simpler and used to be installed by default (certainly up to and including XP). Stupid Microsoft now make it a not-installed-by-default option (on W7 at least).

If you thought that "I don't particularly like you trying to blame me for his inability to follow simple instructions either.", I wasn't implying that at all. Of course he was told to use telnet. BH says use Putty which is what he obviously thought that he was using. If you use this sort of stuff all the time, then of course it's easy, but if you've not done it before it is not quite as easy.

Back