Crashed

My T2 crashed whilst I was chasing live TV last night.

In fact, that was the 5th crash in as many weeks.

crash.log
Code:
14    Humax crashed at Fri Dec  8 21:46:39 UTC 2017 - Uptime: 11075
13    Humax crashed at Wed Dec  6 06:57:47 UTC 2017 - Uptime: 4184
12    Humax crashed at Tue Nov 21 20:12:06 UTC 2017 - Uptime: 11735
11    Humax crashed at Thu Nov  9 23:56:15 UTC 2017 - Uptime: 11
10    Humax crashed at Mon Nov  6 18:27:12 UTC 2017 - Uptime: 11

My disk is relatively new.

What should I be looking for?

Any help gratefully received.

Code:
Web interface version: 1.4.2-8
Custom firmware version: 3.03 (build 2368)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.03)
Loader Version: a7.33
System ID: 80bc.7e00

Is for me.

If the network is in any way flakey, expect crashes. If the incidence of crashes has suddenly increased, look for some change on your network or broadband which might account for a greater likelihood of packet errors.

If you can do without the network for a week or so, disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.
Is that on all of your boxes BH, or shared between them?

It seems to come and go, but yes I would say a crash per box per week is about average. Note however that my HDRs sit on a HomePlug network.

My Network is both wired and wireless.

I added an Hitachi smart TV and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 on the 29/11/2017.

This is in addition to:-

Humax HDR-FOX T2
Raspberry Pi running OSMC - Kodi
Tivo Series 1
NOW TV Box
Windows 10 PC

Tesco Hudl 2
Apple iPod Touch

Three drives on the PC having sharing set allowing the Pi to stream video and music to the TV.

Every device is set to a static IP address.

Not sure which of these qualify as a LAN server.

Last edited:
It seems to come and go, but yes I would say a crash per box per week is about average. Note however that my HDRs sit on a HomePlug network.
My single HDR-FOX T2 is home plug connected and I have had two crashes in the last 5 months which I think is about typical of my experience over the life time of the box.

Have to ask what you are using your TiVo as
Recording the radio.

It has a Sony Freeview receiver plugged into it.

It's perfect for my addiction to BBC Radio 6Music, and Radio 4.

It has better, for me, trick play, than the Humax.

I find rewind and fast forward on the Humax to be awkward for radio recordings.

My single HDR-FOX T2 is home plug connected and I have had two crashes in the last 5 months which I think is about typical of my experience over the life time of the box.
My HomePlug network likes to drop out from time to time, almost invariably when I am trying to move even a few tens of megabytes off an HDR by SMB (I'll see if it is any more reliable with FTP next time). Under those circumstances the HDR doesn't usually crash - rebooting the HomePlug nearest the router gets communications going again (until they bomb out again). I have no idea what else they get up to while I'm not watching.

My HDRs crashed much more often before the (Devolo) HomePlugs had a firmware update.

I've been getting an increase in crashes lately on both boxes I have - also one in particular keeps reverting its clock to Jan 1971 which means scheduled recordings don't happen - I've started logging occurrences but sometimes I just smile and carry on, since I've read with some alarm that these are known networking issues and Humax are not interested in fixing problems on old models. My home network is ethernet except my mobile phone which is live on WiFi in order to use Whatsapp - Reception for '3' in our area is rubbish ! Is there anything I can check (apart from cleaning the network up) which might help ?

one in particular keeps reverting its clock to Jan 1971 which means scheduled recordings don't happen
That's serious, it sounds like a fault in the front panel assembly (see https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-hardware-commissioning-disassembly-repair.5728/#post-109121), maybe the battery backup for the RTC has failed. The RTC is not responsible for actually timing the recording, only waking the unit up ready to make the recording. The recording itself is made on network time. I suggest leaving it turned on 24/7.

Hi - thanks for those comments, even though they are a bit worrying ! The unit is normally on 24/7 these days and the problem seems to occur occasionally when rebooting after scheduling new programmes using the WebIF. I now always check both the Schedule and the EPG after the reboot to see that the date has not gone awol, and if it has, another reboot clears it back to normal. Not too great with delicate electronic repairs (over 70 and suffering with osteo-arthritis!) so do you know somewhere in the Wiltshire area where I could get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing ?

Yes - I saw that in a recent post and thought I should try it ! As a footnote, I have an old HDR in the loft which died after a lightning strike and house fire in 2014 ! It doesn't fire up - there's definite melting of certain components visible inside it - but it may be that the front panel assembly is OK - anyway of telling other than a total swap out ?

Back