Crashes, more crashes

It all depends on how much data and problems there are. I have had it run for over 12 hours. You can access it via maintenance mode to check the progress.

Yes I do realize that, but I am not sure exactly what to do, what I don't want is to accidentally stop the process then having to start over again.

I also think I will format the HDDs and start from scratch. I am not prepared to spend days on end troubleshooting whatever!.
What do you guys think?.
If you are going to format the HDDs then you might as well use dd to blank the disk (and then use the Humax software to partition and format). After that fixdisk should be relatively fast.

I'm not an expert on file systems but it feels that when one of my boxes crashes/hangs then perhaps it doesn't close files in an orderly shutdown. If this starts to happen frequently then I'll remove all recordings 'offline'. I have a few T2 boxes (I'm of the persuasion that I record everything of interest and later delete if I was wrong rather than miss anything, and I can watch when it suits me).
I've got a bricked T2 that I now use the HDD caddy as a quick swap and have learnt enough about Linux Mint in support of disks and recordings.
Remember that if a T2 is active and not on a schedule recording, it still will be recording the active channel as part of Freeview Plus. The way to avoid this is to tune to BBC Red Button Channel 250 or swap to radio.

Last edited:
When are we going to teach people how to fish instead of just giving them fish?
Depends. The thing about many of these box problems is that the individual who has them is quite likely to never have it again, so it's probably simpler/safer to advise them or point them to relevant parts of the documentation as they ask each question. Otherwise it's like teaching someone Arabic to go to Dubai for a long weekend.

When are we going to teach people how to fish instead of just giving them fish?
I'm guessing Luke was referring to his post here :-

But my guess might be wrong, more detail is definitely required here

Bricked? How?

It will still be recording the active channel.
Freeview Plus doesn't factor in anything. This box was made before it was ever invented.
On all of my T2's it has a 'Freeview HD +' logo, am I wrong then? Isn't it constantly writing so you can rewind live TV?

Not sure how bricked, just doesn't power up. I have another with a doggy fan (m/board connector, my fault), I might try and swap PSU to see etc. Job for the winter, I feel.

I'm gonna miss ForcesTV and QuestHD on the retune next week, at least I have a Foxsat as well.

I'm guessing Luke was referring to his post here :-

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/does...ean-that-my-drive-is-dying.10318/#post-156881

But my guess might be wrong, more detail is definitely required here
Not the post I was thinking of but it is along the same lines.

I was thinking of a reply from 2017 from PRPR when I was attempting to use fixdisk for a drive I did not care about the contents and fixdisk looked as if it would tahe days to complete.

You could always use dd to blank the disk (and then use the Humax software to partition and format) or run mke2fs manually to format whichever is the troublesome partition (presumably /dev/sda2).
At the time I thought that if I just googled "DD" it would come up with anything meaningful. To my surprise it was very easy to find something that fitted the context. I was very pleased that PRPR didn't overcook his reply.

On all of my T2's it has a 'Freeview HD +' logo, am I wrong then?
You didn't mention "Freeview HD +". You reffered to the far later standard of "Freeview Play", thus the confusion of what you were really thinking.

Last edited:
Back