Current_Pending_Sector/Offline_Uncorrectable errors - will fix-disk help?

I've just had the following faults reported on my 2TB HDD, having also noticed that at least one scheduled recording didn't happen last night:
197Current_Pending_Sector-O--C-288099099000-
198Offline_Uncorrectable----C-288099099000-
199UDMA_CRC_Error_Count-OSRCK0200200000-

I've ordered a new HDD, but in the meantime will running fix-disk help in any way with the above types of errors?

Yes, though your failed to record is quite likely to be unrelated to any disk fault.

Whether you actually need yo replace the disk depends on how rapidly the number of faulty sectors is increasing.

I have downloaded the pdf and was planning to upload it to the Wiki, however pdf is not currently an allowed file type on the Wiki and I don't have permissions to add it, so it will have to wait for af123's return

I have downloaded the pdf and was planning to upload it to the Wiki, however pdf is not currently an allowed file type on the Wiki and I don't have permissions to add it, so it will have to wait for af123's return
What file types are allowed?

That's a good question. A cursory glance at the wiki doesn't seem to show any local zip files. :( That would be the obvious way of uploading an unallowed file type.

What happens if you give a pdf the extension ".jpg"?
It confuses the hell out of the browser if it tries to display it, and the casual reader who doesn't know what you've done. On the other hand, it ought to work as a link with some text to encourage the reader to download and rename it. The file appears to be small enough.

quick question, when you run the fixdisk process from the webif telnet menu, you can close the window and return to it / reopen the existing session. When going back in, it asks if you want to quit the current fixdisk process or return back to the existing process (sorry not exact words but it's something like that). Is there a way to do this for a process running from the command line (cli)? eg. I tried running badblocks from the command line (just read only mode) but as soon as you close the window it stops and going back to the telnet mode it just takes you back to the normal menu and doesn't ask if you want to continue with the previous session.

If it's not possible no worries - just thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Rodp

Is there a way to do this for a process running from the command line (cli)?
See a similar answer to another question I just posted in the last few minutes:
abduco

A problem with running a long process from a Telnet session or the webshell package (a command terminal available as a web page - access via WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Command Line) is that the session inconveniently drops out and terminates any active processes if you take the focus away to do something else. Then you have to reconnect and restart the youtube-dl command, which then has to do its initial thinking before the download resumes...

The command abduco is already available to support other long processes such as fix-disk, and can be used here to create a protected command session which carries on regardless of the terminal session dropping out. So, before launching the main download, use the following to create a protected session:
Code:
# abduco -A yt
This creates a protected session called "yt" (call it what you like), and the next command prompt is within that session. Then start your youtube-dl process as described above. You can now "do other stuff" and the session will carry on regardless - to break out of the session and do other things on the command line, use Ctrl+\.

To come back later, use the same abduco line again. This time, as there already exists a session called "yt", the command connects to it rather than starting a new one.

To close the session (from within the session), type "exit".

To inspect open abduco sessions, type "abduco" (with no other parameters).

According to the document linked above (thanks!), a Reallocated_Sector_Ct of 5 or more means it's time to replace the drive. Since mine is showing as 16 (see screenshot below) - I guess it's time to replace it?
I've also had a couple of occasions in the last fortnight where the TV signal was not recognised. I needed to disconnect/reconnect the RF cable and reboot to get it back. Could that be related to disk problems, or would it just be coincidence?
humax disk errors 2020-10-13.jpg

According to the document linked above (thanks!), a Reallocated_Sector_Ct of 5 or more means it's time to replace the drive. Since mine is showing as 16 (see screenshot below) - I guess it's time to replace it?
My experience is that you can safely run with a reallocated sector count of several hundred. My view is that what matters is the rate at which sectors are being reallocated; if it is more than a few every day then it is certainly time to think about replacing the hard drive. In your case what does need fixing is the current_pending_sector (id 197) count. Try running fix-disk.
I've also had a couple of occasions in the last fortnight where the TV signal was not recognised. I needed to disconnect/reconnect the RF cable and reboot to get it back. Could that be related to disk problems, or would it just be coincidence?
Please can you explain what you mean by "TV signal not recognised"?

My experience is that you can safely run with a reallocated sector count of several hundred. My view is that what matters is the rate at which sectors are being reallocated; if it is more than a few every day then it is certainly time to think about replacing the hard drive. In your case what does need fixing is the current_pending_sector (id 197) count. Try running fix-disk.

Please can you explain what you mean by "TV signal not recognised"?

Sorry I should have said - I did run fix-disk a couple of weeks ago.
By "TV signal not recognised" I mean I got the "no signal" message that is displayed for example when the aerial cable is not connected.

Sorry I should have said - I did run fix-disk a couple of weeks ago.
I suggest you try running it again.
By "TV signal not recognised" I mean I got the "no signal" message that is displayed for example when the aerial cable is not connected.
OK; what is the signal strength and quality when it is showing that message?

Back