Custom firmware and Ireland Saorview

Yes I have the same problem with the EPGs for both freeview and Saorview. The only way I found to avoid missed recordings is set the recording manually, a bit of a pain but works thus far.
It does not have to be totally manually. You can still use the epg to select recordings.
Select the programme to record from the epg. Then go to the schedule and select the timer for that recording. On the reservation pop-up select 'OK' and press 'OK' on the remote. This will turn the timer into a manual timer.
(While turning the timer to a manual timer you can at the same time set the repeat timer attribute to your choice.)

Thanks guys, I might pull it out of the press and try this..

I think I will drop Humax another email and ask for an update, surely this would be an easy sorfware fix.

Easy software fix? Not if it wasn't designed with interoperation between multiple national networks in mind, no.

I'm sure for the develpers of these boxes it can't be that tough a task..

I have 2 philips TV's, a Sony TV and a Samsung BD Player/HDD Recorder and they all handle it perfectly so it sure isn't impossible. They obviously flush the cache when the source has changed instead of merging them.

I sent them another mail so see where that gets me, prob won't hold my breath but you never know!

But we know the HDR-FOX is no longer in active development, the project teams have been pulled to where the future profits will come from. It isn't going to recoup their costs in more sales if they committed resources to your wish.

Additionally Humax would have done this on the design board from the start if they thought it was worthwhile. The older 9000T series were not designed for interoperation between multiple national networks so the issues were already known about before the HDR-FOX-T2 and HD-FOX-T2 came into being.

re Saorview EPG and humax.

I have a humax HDR and I have good Freeview and Saorview signal. Watching live Saorview programs pressing the 'i' button twice will show the full program synopsis. However if the same program is saved and I press the 'i' button I only get the basic time and date.

Attachments

• live_synopsis.jpg
    live_synopsis.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 8
  • playback_synopsis.jpg
    playback_synopsis.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 8
I have a humax HDR and I have good Freeview and Saorview signal. Watching live Saorview programs pressing the 'i' button twice will show the full program synopsis. However if the same program is saved and I press the 'i' button I only get the basic time and date.

The VLC debug log was different depending on the type of file played

This is what some of it looks like on Saorview (I cant up load the debug log word for word)

event id = ... start_time=.......... duration=.... running=0 free_ca=0
short event lang eng = the news and after the colon there are two single quotes with nothing between them
tag
extended lang event lang
text and on this line the program synopsis apears

This is what some of the free view version looks like
event id = ... start_time=.......... duration=.... running=. free=.
tag
short event lang eng = the news then a colon then between single quotes the PROGRAM SYNOPSIS
tag
tag
tag

Obviously there is a difference in the syntax used and maybe Saorview Approved boxes have to use a certain syntax, just like we use 230V and on the continent they use 110V.

Would there be a way dedup (now incorporated into webif) would be able to trawl for this information and thus populate the Saorview Series for the Humax ?

I keep getting an error saying I cannot post web links so I have been unable to post the debug logs word for word.

The way we usually post logs is by copy-and-paste, surrounded by [code]..[/code] tags. No need for uploads or URLs.

On saved files the full EPG information (and more) is in the data stream but it is not picked up by the humax.

This is what it looks like on Saorview :
* event id=31369 start_time:1359141200 duration=2400 running=0 free_ca=0
- short event lang=eng 'The News' :''
- tag=0x54(84)
- extended event lang=eng [0/0]
- text='Local News. Stories from around your county.'

but the humax cannot access it but it can show this type of freeview data :
* event id=31028 start_time:1356928360 duration=1440 running=4 free_ca=0
- tag=0x50(80)
- short event lang=eng 'News at 12' : 'News and current affairs, and local stories.'
- tag=0x54(84)
- tag=0x5f(95)
- tag=0x76(118)
- tag=0x76(118)

Note the position of the quotation marks.
Saorview Line 2 The quotation mark after the :
there is nothing between the [single] quotation marks after the [:]
Freeview info the program synopsis is on line 3 between the [single] quotation marks after the colon [:].

It is a pity dedup couldn't be tweaked to pick up on these possible slight differences

Can you upload or send me a .hmt file from one of these recordings? It should be possible to write something to convert the file so that you get the synopsis on playback.

What is the reference to dedup? Is that failing to retrieve the episode name too? What level of synopsis do you get if you click the recording in the web interface?

Dedup cant distinguish the files in the series. they would all be moved to the Duplicate folder as it reads the synopsis as blank.
On the web interface there is nothing after synopsis.

Thanks. I'll have a look at it later tonight for you.

Posted on the move. Please excuse any brevity.

Border : I'm wondering if the empty EPG: field in your sample.hmt file is due to the RTÃjr channel being stored on the Humax as CH 806, channels above 799 are used on the Humax for duplicate channels, is there another RTÃjr channel on your Humax? I guess it is due to you receiving channels from two TV regions

Saorview comes in on Frequency/ Mux 45. If I did an automatic tune the box would put RTE1 on Channel 1 and RTEjr (RTÃjr is the way the humax interprets the character set - the gaelic fada over the E) on Channel 6. Putting BBC1 on channel 800. I did a manual tune scanning for the Freeview frequencies first (putting BBC1 in channel 1 position) then scanned the Saorview Mux on frequency 45.

Was the .hmt file completely empty (renaming it from .hmt to .txt and back wouldnt have done this?) . When the TS file is played on VLC on the computer the debug log seems to have the EPG or Event Information Table data. Perhaps Saorview use one of the other packets to transmit this information.

Was the .hmt file completely empty (renaming it from .hmt to .txt and back wouldnt have done this?) . When the TS file is played on VLC on the computer the debug log seems to have the EPG or Event Information Table data. Perhaps Saorview use one of the other packets to transmit this information.

No, your sample.hmt (renamed to sample.txt then back to sample.hmt) contains this, the EPG: line would normally contain the program description

Code:
humax# hmt sample.hmt
Format:HD
Title:Fireman Sam
Channel:806 (RTÃjr)
Folder:/mnt/hd2/My Video/Fireman Sam/
Filename:Fireman Sam_20130128_0948
Genre:Unclassified (0)
EPG:

Flags: SD,Unlimited Copies,
Copy count:0

Scheduled start:1359366600 (Mon Jan 28 09:50:00 2013)
Scheduled duration:600
Recording start:1359366481 (Mon Jan 28 09:48:01 2013)
Recording end:1359367317 (Mon Jan 28 10:01:57 2013)
Duration:836
Play resumes at: 0 seconds in.

Service ID (SID):1107
Transport Stream ID (TSID):1001
Originating Network ID (ONID):8564
Programme Map Table PID (PMTPID):1907
Video PID:8190
Audio PID:1207
Bookmarks:2 = 182 785
humax#

If the original .hmt file is not pure ASCII, transferring it masquerading as a .txt might not have achieved fidelity. Does the uploader accept .zip? Otherwise uuencode it then transfer it as a .txt.

Alternatively get the MD5 hash value for the original file and post it up so that anyone downloading it can check that the reconstructed file is not corrupt.

MD5 and UUencode tools are easily googled for.

No your sample.hmt (renamed to sample.txt then back to sample.hmt) contains this, the EPG line would normally contain the program description

I have uploaded another HMT file this one has been recorded while the EPG is populated with the saorview DATA that presumably is empty also. This would suggest that as the format of the Event information table of Saorview is much different to that of Freeview and the variables that the Humax points to on the Saorview EIT are empty. So the problem for the Humax is when the .hmt file is being created.

the information still seems to be present in the transport stream - from the debug log of VLC at least

I think you may have uploaded the wrong file the vlc1.txt isn't in hmt format, it appears to be a debug log, here are first few lines :-
Code:
main debug: processing request item: Fireman Sam_20130128_0948.ts, node: Universal Plug'n'Play, skip: 0
main debug: resyncing on Fireman Sam_20130128_0948.ts
main debug: Fireman Sam_20130128_0948.ts is at 74
main debug: starting playback of the new playlist item
main debug: resyncing on Fireman Sam_20130128_0948.ts
main debug: Fireman Sam_20130128_0948.ts is at 74
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: Creating an input for 'Fireman Sam_20130128_0948.ts'

Back