Custom firmware - explained simple terms PLEASE

NeilDyson

Can someone please help... I'm trying to understand 'custom firmware' in simple terms. I have a humax freesat HDR 500gb. Please someone please help in simple terms step by step. Thanks everyone

So far this is what i have learnt...
1) Using a USB stick (FAT32) load the Custom Firmware on.
2) Turn the Humax onto standby mode...insert USB
3) Press and hold the Standby button until numbers apear on the display screen.
4) Reboot
5) Find your ip address under setting

Leaving the Humax box on, turn on your computer and load up a web browser ( i use firefox on a mac)

Install application... for remote ...tv guide..
this is far as i have got so far, more investigation tonight..

I would like to upload movie files onto the Humax hard drive (not sure which format yet) and access NAS drive.

Ideal world i would love to run XBMC...anyone have any ideas??

The current supplied packages have TwonkyMedia and MediaTomb. Uploading non native video requires the creation of two additional sidecar files. Raydons AV2HDR will do this from suitable source content. You can't stream anything to the hdr only vice versa.

Thanks for the reply, the problem is I do not own a pc computer....i'm a apple computer. What do you mean by two sidecar files. Can I convert the video to a correct format? Thanks

Thanks for the reply, the problem is I do not own a pc computer....i'm a apple computer. What do you mean by two sidecar files. Can I convert the video to a correct format? Thanks

On a Foxsat-hdr there are three main files associated with each recording, the video and audio is contained in a transport stream file (.ts), mpeg2 for SD - H264AVC for HD. a file with a .nts extension which provides navigation data and one with a .hmt format containg details like channel recorded from, times/dates programme synopses etc. AV2HDR is available for the Mac as well as PC's

http://myhumax.org/blog/?page_id=166

Here's an extract from the help files

SD Video 576

Width 720 pixels

Height 576 pixels

SD Video 720

Width 1280 pixels

Height 720 pixels

HD Video 1080

Width 1920 pixels

Height 1080 pixels

Other sizes have been encoded and successfully played back on the HDR,

(The horizontal, or vertical resolution is then stretched by the HDR to fill the screen area).

However, this is very much a case of trial and error. The above sizes are the only ones guaranteed to work.

Video format MPEG-2 or H264

H264 codec profile max High@L4

Aspect ratio 16/9.

Scan type progressive or interlaced

Frame rate 23.976, 25, or 29.97 frames per second.

Audio SD or HD

MPEG1 layer 2 or Dolby AC3.

Supported containers for A/V streams are .TS .MTS .M2TS .MPG and .VOB.

You can drag and drop your video anywhere in AV2HDR's window. If the container format is supported it will display streams information. However, that does not guarantee playback on the HDR. The video and audio streams must also match the above specifications.

Please Note: For HD playback on the HDR, the source H264 video stream must contain NAL units of type SEI, and in the correct order. i.e the SEI unit must precede the Pic Slice. Video streams created using applications which use the FFmpeg x264 codec are known to be incompatible with the HDR as they are encoded without any SEI units at all.

A freeware application, meGUI has been used successfully to create compatible H264 streams from other video formats.

AV2HDR cannot, and never will, import other video formats such as .AVI .DIVX .WMV .MOV

These must first be re-encoded to the above specifications using the software of your choice. There is an abundance of software re-encoders available for this purpose.

I have tried to find a version for the mac, however the only version I can find 1.4 crashes. Is there any other option I can use? Thanks

I have tried to find a version for the mac, however the only version I can find 1.4 crashes. Is there any other option I can use? Thanks

My knowledge of OS-X is next to zilch. Best to post on a forum that Raydon regulary contribitutes to. Try the AV forums freesat threads.

Back