Custom firmware uptake

The annual pattern is still visible, with less during the summer and more in the winter. Why October is a big month both 2013 and 2014 is not obvious to me.

Wow. Even the HD is still going up. From the forum posts I see there are silent users who eventually come out of the woodwork, there must be many more who don't.

That seems remarkably low. Indeed it's barely gone up since you first quoted a figure. RS on the other hand is just boxes currently registered and not susceptible to multiple counting unlike custom firmware installs. I wonder how many installs are actually re-installations, or if there really are only about 10% of CFW users on RS?

EDIT: your post 8 Feb 2013 says over 1200 on RS. So RS usage has been static for nearly two years, which doesn't tally with continuing new custom firmware installations. Unless the firmware is attracting a different less technical sort of user these days who can't see the point of RS but wants other features? It's so hard to tell.

Boxes that don't check into RS for 6 months are removed so the number does go up and down but yes it's fairly static.

Last edited:
I am responsible for four HDR-FOXes with CF, only one of which is registered with RS (the fifth is on cold standby). My HD-FOXes are not used to record, therefore...

Even the one that is registered is vanishingly rarely actually used for remote scheduling, mostly I have it running persistent searches and emailing me an alert.

I tend to only use remote scheduling for real when I'm away at my parents or similar (it was great over Christmas). The rest of the time mine are fairly like yours, looking for conflicts and a couple of searches that email me. I have started to find RS's EPG search rather good, I may start using it more.

But yes I can see why RS might not be that important to a lot of users.

I had the situation where RS proved not to be a great deal of use - my internet dropped now and again and could not be relied on to stay up for 2 weeks (and I couldn't work out a reliable way of rebooting it).
I'm hoping that, with a new (different) modem/router on a newly installed FTTC broadband, the situation will improve so I can get additional scheduling for new series etc while I am away.

RS Uptake graph:

rsuptake.png

This is just new registrations each month.

I had the situation where RS proved not to be a great deal of use - my internet dropped now and again and could not be relied on to stay up for 2 weeks (and I couldn't work out a reliable way of rebooting it).
I'm hoping that, with a new (different) modem/router on a newly installed FTTC broadband, the situation will improve so I can get additional scheduling for new series etc while I am away.

I use a mains timeswitch to power cycle my router for 1 minute every morning at 06:20. It works a treat, I used to have to reset it regularly and now it just gets on with it.

Do you get a good speed? The interface at the exchange will see that as an unstable connection and throttle it back.

Do you get a good speed? The interface at the exchange will see that as an unstable connection and throttle it back.

Two reasons why that doesn't happen:

i) I have a separate PPPOE modem and it's only the router I power cycle, so the line doesn't lose sync

ii) My ISP is Andrews & Arnold using a Talk Talk line, which has no dynamic line management. I get to set what line profile I want directly (Fast Path or Interleave, Upstream and Downstream SNR).

i) I have a separate PPPOE modem and it's only the router I power cycle, so the line doesn't lose sync
Buy yourself a decent router!
ii) My ISP is Andrews & Arnold using a Talk Talk line, which has no dynamic line management. I get to set what line profile I want directly (Fast Path or Interleave, Upstream and Downstream SNR).
Nice, but I bet it's pricey.

I don't need a decent router, I'm happy using PPPOE. Also I have a true IPv6 connection, which few routers support.

Some time this year I should be getting FTTC, which also produces PPPOE so I can simply swap the modems over and leave the router as it is handling PPPOE.

I don't use the wifi in my router either or it's DNS proxy. I have Apple Airport Extremes providing wifi, and I have a Raspberry Pi running dnsmasq to provide a decent DNS proxy. And that's before I get into the gigabit switch behind the hifi rack, or my music streaming SqueezeBox server.

Back