Custom Portal - Development

The portal browser should be capable of rendering any HbbTV app (iPlayer is one). I don't know how well the bits of HbbTV, like CE-HTML, are documented but there are lots of example applications around such as the one Chris mentioned a couple of posts back - that one works fine if you point the portal browser at it.

http://www.hbbtv.org/pages/about_hbbtv/hbbtv_examples.php

They being me I presume ;-)

That's exactly it, from what I have seen so far anyway! The portal can display webpages and navigate then whether they be hosted remotely or locally on the receiver!

So, the thinking was to have a local webpage that can be navigated on from using the remote, should be possible as it's what the portal is already doing! Then this webpage will parse feeds generated by the VOD sites (RTE/TV3/ITV) and display the content on the local webpage.

So, if we can tap into the video.js JavaScript file then we (being me) should be able to launch the video stream!

Make sense?

Makes sense to me. That was always the aim, it's just I don't have time anymore (real life took over) or skill in HTML or JavaScript.

One thing I should point out is that each page needs it's own java navigation file and ability to highlight what is selected. It's a right pain to get your head around compared to normal bog standard web pages. At least that's what it was like under the ANT browser, maybe opera has this built in? Probably not..

Either way, I look forward to see what you can come up with :)

Yeah, until the HDR comes I won't get a chance to try out the navigation but I plan to keep it pretty basic, up/down and ok if I could limit it to that, maybe left/right also if necessary..

Our enigma2 players work well with just up/down/ok so I will go with that first anyway!!

As I say, if you download the Opera HbbTV simulator you can develop most of it without an HDR. There's also a plugin for Firefox that claims to help with HbbTV app development.

The portal browser should be capable of rendering any HbbTV app (iPlayer is one). I don't know how well the bits of HbbTV, like CE-HTML, are documented but there are lots of example applications around such as the one Chris mentioned a couple of posts back - that one works fine if you point the portal browser at it.

http://www.hbbtv.org/pages/about_hbbtv/hbbtv_examples.php
Cool. I'll continue to watch with interest.

On a side note, was the issue with the EPG not allowing sources from two locations ever fixed? It used to really bug me.. I would be picking up NI and Irish EPG sources but the Humax could only display one or the other at at time, very annoying..

It is annoying.

The EPG still only shows one source at a time.
There is a way you can view both EPGS and search them but only at startup / boot, and only temporarily. With the customised firmware installed use the power on package to start the box on a Freeview channel. Before switching the box off switch it to Saorview and let the Saorview EPG populate. Then switch off and power down. The next time the box starts up - both Saorview and Freeview EPGS show, but once you change channel , or select a file to play and when it stops only one EPG will show up.

Back to the current thread best of luck with the custom portal development.

I finally got around to trying something that Chris Daniels suggested about getting the custom portals working on 1.03.06 and it works. It works in that it is possible to change the start page of the new Opera browser too but at least portal-xtra1 doesn't seem to work properly (doesn't respond to all key presses). I could update the packages for 1.03.06 so that people could have a play.

My HDR arrived today so I flashed 1.03.06 and I have been having a nose around the directories..

One thing I've noticed is that the portal code is very much different than the older versions.. Everything seems to be hosted remotely now!

What changes did you have to make to get the Xtra1 portal to appear do you mind me asking?

Just change the homepage to point to whichever file you want.
Af123 said he had a test of the xtra1 portal and found it was broke, so it's possible that things have changed a bit..

I think so yes. Af123 said he got it working.
You might need to reboot a few times in order for the change to take effect.

I've not tried it personally on this current firmware, so af123 is going to be the best person to ask if you can't get it changed.

I will wait on Af123 as that is not working for me.. Still keeps going to the Humax portal so I must be missing something!

I'll update the two custom portal packages to hook in properly for 1.03.06... give me a few minutes.

Ok, both packages are there.
Navigation seems to work ok with custom-portal and 'Test page #1' will take you to the MIT Xperts demo page including an HBBTV test suite. Most of it seems to work.

You can set the portal start page in the /mod/boot/2/portal-start.txt file (then reboot) if you want to point at something different.

Good stuff..

What did you have to change to get the portal to point to /mod/boot/2/portal-start.txt instead of the Humax Portal?

Just got around to putting portal-xtra1 back on it seems to load the page and the sub menus are selectable through the coloured buttons but none of the numbered selections appear to work.

Also noticed it brings up type error just right of menu.

Any ideas on how to fix? Tried the usual force reinstall and rebooted countless times

Back