Customised Firmware 2.10 (for 1.02.27)

...which is the one I linked to!

(likely Ron submitted post #242 before he saw my link because it was over the page)

I installed the custom firmware on my HDR T2 a couple of months ago (2.10). Went to use the custom portal though and it had dissapeared.
Looking at settings by box is at firmware level 1.02.28 now, so it looks like it got overwritten by an OTA update.
I never installed the disable OTA update as it was marked as beta.
So:
1. How do I install the customer firmware again - just install it from USB stick as previous? Will that pick up all my old 'custom' stuff? Of so I need to reset it somehow?
2. Is the disable OTA package considered 'safe' to use?
Thanks

I installed the custom firmware on my HDR T2 a couple of months ago. Went to use the custom portal though and it had dissapeared.
1. How do I install the customer firmware again - just install it from USB stick as previous? Will that pick up all my old 'custom' stuff? Of so I need to reset it somehow?
2. Is the disable OTA package considered 'safe' to use?

1. Yes just download the 1.02.28 mod 211 and install as usual
2. There have been no bad reports about disable-ota but as you are at 1.o2.28 there won't be an OTA to disable for a while anyway
BTW
If you was on 1.02.20 before the OTA you may find 3 packages won't work now, they are The Custom TV portal, redring and undelete, this is because a 'prepare for upgrade' utility should have been run between 1.02.20 and 1.02.28. If you were previously on 1.02.27 they should be O.K.

2. Thats what I dont understand. I was on the 2.10 custom firmware, which is equivilent to the official 1.02.28 latest/beta?
So in my case the OTA update went over the top of the latest custom firmware? I dont recall it losing recording schedules or anything though?
Yes, I did run the prepare for upgrade utility as I was on a much earlier version of custom originally - can't remember the number.

All a bit strange - will reflash and report back. And disable OTA of course.
Thanks

The custom firmware is not a replacement for the standard firmware, it merely adds a few links into it so that af's code can run. If the standard firmware gets updated then the custom firmware gets wiped in the process. Meanwhile the custom software packages remain on the hard drive, but dormant because they have nothing to invoke them. They will come back to life when the custom firmware is reinstated (the correct version for the new standard firmware of course).

Your recording schedule is not affected by a firmware update, only by a retune. The reason this has come up is because 1.02.27 and 1.02.28 has a nasty tendency to perform a retune. You might like to consider installing 1.02.20 in preference. See HERE (click).

2. Thats what I dont understand. I was on the 2.10 custom firmware, which is equivilent to the official 1.02.28 latest/beta?

I presume you are asking why your Custom Firmware was OTAed to the official HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.28. If you had '2.10 custom firmware' it must have been HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.27_mod_2.10 , as af123 has not released HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.28_mod_2.10. So the OTA upgraded from 1.02.27 to 1.02.28

1. Yes just download the 1.02.28 mod 211 and install as usual
2. There have been no bad reports about disable-ota but as you are at 1.o2.28 there won't be an OTA to disable for a while anyway
BTW
If you was on 1.02.20 before the OTA you may find 3 packages won't work now, they are The Custom TV portal, redring and undelete, this is because a 'prepare for upgrade' utility should have been run between 1.02.20 and 1.02.28. If you were previously on 1.02.27 they should be O.K.

Well, I thought this was all OK. Reflashed the firmware, checked web interface was there, installed the do not update, and didn't think any more of it.

But my custom portal isn't working.

So even though I had previously run the prepare for update thing, it looks like it got revoked.
How do I get this back? Is it safe to just run again?
And if I run again, do I then need to reinstall the latest custom version afterwards?
Thanks

You can force a re-install of the Custom TV portal by entering the following command line using Telnet :-
Or just go into the Diagnostics page in the web interface and enter portal-xtra1 into the 'Force package reinstall' box and click the button.

Well, I thought this was all OK. Reflashed the firmware, checked web interface was there, installed the do not update, and didn't think any more of it.

But my custom portal isn't working.

So even though I had previously run the prepare for update thing, it looks like it got revoked.
How do I get this back? Is it safe to just run again?

The best way to fix any packages which have been broken by a firmware update, OTA or otherwise, is to run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic from the Diagnostics page in the web interface. That will do an automatic force-reinstall of any packages which depend on files in the flash area rather than on the disk, such as redring, undelete and portal-xtra1.

I ran fix-flash-packages which seemed to work fine.
Then soft shutdown, followed by power off for 10 seconds.
Still no custom portal.

If I go to the settings on the box, I get 1.02.28 firmware version. When it boots I dont get any custom firmware message on screen, which I'm sure I used to.
But the web interface is there, so I must be custom firmware, right?

I'm starting to think I'm in some sort of halfway house after the OTA update.

Thanks

That is very strange - the recent versions of the CF do flash up on the display during boot, certainly any version compatible with .28, but I don't see how you could access the WebIF without a CF installed.

Did your box auto-update to .28, and did you re-install the correct CF afterwards? Any chance you somehow managed to install the wrong CF?

The detail of what happened originally is further up this page.
I had another look at this, and the LCD display does show a message about custom firmware on boot, but the screen display doesn't. I'm convinced it did previously?
If I go to settings I get the following info:
Software Version FHTCP 1.02.28
Loader Version a7.30
Micom Version 9.3

Could someone confirm this is all as expected. If so I can assume the flash is OK, and go back to getting the Portal hooked in.
Thanks

The screen doesn't show anything about the CF so your setup sounds fine. Can you confirm that you have the portal-xtra1 package installed and post the output of the fix-flash-packages diagnostic?
Finally, post the output of the cpdiag diagnostic and we should be able to see what's wrong.

Perhaps a nudge about my fixes for random problems will inspire something....

Over time I've learned the Humax leaves a lot of files all over the drive (orphaned .NTS files for example)
These I cleaned up using FTP
I discovered the humax format doesnt always format the drive - leaving (for example) custom firmware files in place
(This may have changed - I dont know - I discovered this a long time ago)
After running the Humax for about 10 months without problems (they only really started after the last OTA broadcast) I
did find e2fsck found many files to fix - this was well worth doing (use telnet etc)
After the OTA thing I just couldn't stabilise it until I totally uninstalled all the custom firmware, deleted the files, ran e2fsck next - and then re-installed
everything from scratch - firmware first - this had a massive effect and gave me back a stable system (just re-installing packages didnt - I tried that)
I have had to re-enable the device on SKY afterwards but I dont know if that was the above or sky themselves as I dont really
use the box much and SKY only for testing to help others.
Hope you get it sorted however you do it

Back