Customised Firmware Version 1.14 Released.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I've just uploaded version 1.14 of the customised firmware.

xyz321 and I have been working on improving the support for installing packages via USB for people who can't connect their boxes to the Internet. Between us we have eliminated the problem that people have experienced with needing to install packages using multiple passes and in the right order to satisfy dependencies; a tortuous and error prone process with large packages like the web interface. See the Wiki page at http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Manually_loading_Features_from_USB for more details.

This new version also includes some bug fixes including properly creating a valid hosts file for devices using wireless.

--> http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads

Is there any way to update the box via web interface etc, as I've set up a Humax at my mums and have remote access to it so it'd be incredibly convenient if I could update this way rather than physically going over there and updating via USB.

The software can now update itself automatically (not that I've tried it), but the firmware can't and never will. However, if what you have is doing what you want there is no particular hurry to update the firmware - and even a reason not to (don't fix what ain't broke).

Updated manually the CFW to v1.14 over the Internet, no problems.

The auto update package is working here, no issues.
It updated Busybox and Samba packages over night. Great work, thanks!

It updated Busybox and Samba packages over night. Great work, thanks!

Out of interest, how did you check what it had updated? I need to add some sort of logging/notification to the package - yes by hooking it into the RS portal for those who use it, but that's an extra as not everyone will.

I manually check your Twitter site (not a member yet) on my Andriod smartphone each morning, and note down the firmware version number of packages that have changed.
Then using my phone I compare them using the web interface interface, to see if the installed package version matches.

I manually check your Twitter site (not a member yet) on my Andriod smartphone each morning, and note down the firmware version number of packages that have changed.
Then using my phone I compare them using the web interface interface, to see if the installed package version matches.
: ) Yeah, that needs to be easier!

Just a few idea's about the Auto update status logging:

Maybe you could start by having a Diagnostic log for the Auto updates on the local Web interface.
I would like logging/notification in RS, but most people would use the Web interface as you say.

Maybe add a new button (if Auto Package is installed) on either the Package Management or Service Management pages, that when pressed displays a "Recent Activity" log (like the RS), or just add the update activity log at the bottom of the web page.

It would be extremely usefull, if you could expand the Twitter like comments (limited to 128 char), so on the auto update Web log it would show greater detailed information, of the new feathers or bug fixes that the updated package gives, so the user can know what to look for...

Maybe you could link this detailed version history to the "Customised Firmware - Features Available" Wiki site. :cool::cool:

Just noticed the date errors in the editMonitor.log, not sure if this is important :
>>> Contents of /tmp/editMonitor.log 15.46 KiB
/mod/sbin/editmonitor: line 101: date: not found

Out of interest, how did you check what it had updated?
I noted that busybox had gone from 1.18.3-1 to 1.19.3-1. I had jotted down the versions of several packages to keep an eye on it after I installed auto-update but I wasn't sure if the change was because of the CF 1.14 update.

I noted that busybox had gone from 1.18.3-1 to 1.19.3-1. I had jotted down the versions of several packages to keep an eye on it after I installed auto update but I wasn't sure if the change was because of the CF 1.14 update.

As you say busybox could have been up to date in Customised firmware version 1.14, but the samba packgae was updated this morning OK, I'm sure it working fine.

Samba wasn't one of those I was checking. I've added it to my list in case there is another change.

I have already got auto-update installed also samba. Presumably the available list will have to be refreshed from the Internet to get the uptodate versions but will be automatically updated one installed. I suppose the only need to refresh is if something new is added.

The auto-update package updates the available list before checking for updates each time it runs.

Just noticed the date errors in the editMonitor.log, not sure if this is important :
>>> Contents of /tmp/editMonitor.log 15.46 KiB
/mod/sbin/editmonitor: line 101: date: not found

That's from Drutt's nicesplice magic folders package... I wouldn't think it's important though

That's from Drutt's nicesplice magic folders package... I wouldn't think it's important though
Its just trying to get the date to uniquely name any edited recordings - shouldn't cause any major problems, unless you end up with 2 edited recordings from the same source in the same folder. Will fix in next update. Am I correct in thinking I need to specify the full path to busybox if it's running as a startup script (path to busybox not set up yet?) - date seems to work fine if its in a script run from the prompt?

Steve

Back