Customised firmware

mihaid

When I input the home page it does not connect to the humax anymore. Has there been a software update? I can't see anything new on the DTG website.
I have turned the hummy off and on and I also reset the router. My other fox T2 box connects just fine.

I assume you're talking about a Foxsat HDR since this is the Foxsat HDR forum. Maybe the Mongoose web server has crashed. Try a 'service' command from telnet to see if it's stopped. If it has then enter 'service start mongoose' or reboot to get it started again. And maybe think about installing the 'servermon' package which will do this for you automatically if mongoose crashes.

I assume you're talking about a Foxsat HDR
Correct.

What do I do if I can't even open a telnet session. I know the foxsat is connected to my network because I just tried the iplayer and it works. Booting it, I get the custom firmware 4.0.8 message

Pinging 192.168.1.77 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.77: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.77: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.77: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.77: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.77:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 2ms

That works fine I assume?

Ping looks OK. Do you have an FTP server or samba installed on your HDR ? If so can you connect to either of those ?

If I did, how do I connect to either of these? I know I have ftp server but I think it was not turned on by default.

I have a related problem. Occasionally I can't connect to the web interface. I get the error 'cannot locate the internet server or proxy server' when I click on my desktop link.
I can still sccess the HDR using file explorer and I can still access it with filezilla.
Resetting the router doesn't help.
Rebooting the HDR doesn't help.
The onlt thing I haven't tried is rebooting the pc but I'd rather not have to do that every time I lose the connection (I'd rather not lose it in the first place!)
It often happens when I'm in the middle of using the webif.
I don't know if it's related but if I try to transfer a lot of files to my laptop over wifi using file explorer, it crashes the router.

It didn't occur to me to use file explorer. Now I tried, it does work. Filezilla does not connect with HumaxFTP and 0000.
I too transferred 3 3GB files over wifi but not from this machine but from my Fox T2. And my router has not crashed either.

If I did, how do I connect to either of these? I know I have ftp server but I think it was not turned on by default.
With FTP server you would connect to it using an FTP client like Filezilla for file transfers. As to samba you would connect to one of the defined samba shares using 'Map Network Drive' from Windows explorer. If you had been using either of these I think you would remember it. Exactly what services were you using on your HDR, twonky or mediatomb media servers ? If so, can you still see either of those ?

It didn't occur to me to use file explorer. Now I tried, it does work.
If you can see samba shares in Explorer then try mapping a drive to \\192.168.1.77\media
This will give you access to the /opt folder. Dig down to /opt/etc and look for a file named .DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE then do what it tells you not to, and delete it. This will reset everything so that when you then reboot your HDR it will be as if you had just installed the custom firmware from scratch. You should then be able to connect to the basic web interface and re-install the full web interface again from the repository. B.T.W. Latest CFW is 4.0.9 not 4.0.8, although both are based on official Humax 1.00.21 so won't get overwritten by an overnight OTA.

next time i get the webif back i'll install servermon (assume that's one of the packages offered in the webif?). Telnet's a bit beyond me at the mo!

I was brave and installed telnet in vista. I ran it and typed 'open 192.168.0.2' but i got the error 'could not open connection to the host, on port 23: connection failed'.
still, I tried...

When you pinged it, the ip address was 192.168.1.77 but you seem to be attempting to connect to 192.168.0.2. Which is the correct IP address for the Humax?

If you can see samba shares in Explorer then try mapping a drive to \\192.168.1.77\media
This will give you access to the /opt folder. Dig down to /opt/etc and look for a file named .DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE then do what it tells you not to, and delete it. This will reset everything so that when you then reboot your HDR it will be as if you had just installed the custom firmware from scratch. You should then be able to connect to the basic web interface and re-install the full web interface again from the repository. B.T.W. Latest CFW is 4.0.9 not 4.0.8, although both are based on official Humax 1.00.21 so won't get overwritten by an overnight OTA.
I could see samba and proceeded and got the result you predicted. Thank you very much. It wiped out the packages I had installed and for a few seconds I thought some scheduled recordings. The latter was just a scare, I hadn't realised how few programs I do record.
It's been a while since I installed 4.0.8 and can't find the website for 4.0.9

Back