Customised HDF file released

Update HDF files and package repository:
I've updated the HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf file and added HD_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf. These new packages contain a number of bug fixes so that, for example, external drives formatted with ext3 now work properly.

Updated, appears to work ok, installed utelnet, dropbear-ssh, busybox. Now have find with -exec and md5sum :)

Even installed the web server, there's a slight error, the link "Scheduled Recordings" links to "http://humax/sched.html" whereas the picture of the TV points to "http://humax/sched.shtml". Also EPG icon is to # which does nothing but the word "EPG" links to the media directory, it probably also should point to "#" and do nothing. I'll let af123 fix upstream.

Also noticed that the ftp server doesn't list the ".ts" files when you list a directory, see the .hmt, .nts & .thm but no .ts (the actual video) is this because there encrypted ?

Also noticed that the ftp server doesn't list the ".ts" files when you list a directory, see the .hmt, .nts & .thm but no .ts (the actual video) is this because there encrypted ?

I can see them for things recorded on SD, but not for HD. It could be some lingering protection in the replacement tinyftp; I'll have a look.

Here's a suggestion to simplify the virtual disk package. If a bind mount is used it would not be necessary to create a disk image file. It would only be necesssary to create a destination directory when the package is installed. The init.d script would become:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
        start)
                mkdir -p "/media/<location>"
                mount "/mod/virtual_disks/<location>" "/media/<location>" -o bind,rw ;;
        stop)
                umount "/media/<location>" ;;
        *)
                exit 1 ;;
esac

The advantage is that it is not necessary to pre-allocate some disk space.

Alternatively the destination could be set to within the "My Video" tree. In this case it would be possible for the T2 to copy the files into the virtual disk and move them back to the original location (altough it might be confusing).

I can give it a go. You just have to watch memory usage; you have around 25Mb at best to play with if you don't want to affect it's day job.
Where's the 25M coming from, is this freemem & cached from top when running a few apps ?

Having ssh I have no need for telnet & ftp, so perhaps after it's been up 2 minutes I could leave them on the box but stop tinyftp & utelnetd after 2 minutes. If I need to access the box via telnet simply reset it and log in and stop the job killing telnet , eg:

/mnt/hd2/mod/etc/init.d/S99savemem
Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
    start)
        (sleep 120; killall utelnetd; killall tinyftp;) &
        ;;
    stop)
        ;;
    *)
        exit 1 ;;
esac

If a bind mount is used it would not be necessary to create a disk image file.

The advantage is that it is not necessary to pre-allocate some disk space.

I like the idea of a fixed size, my kids fill up the box and then I'd not have space to move off to archive !

Also does this still decrypt when T2 copies ?

Also does this still decrypt when T2 copies ?
Yes.

I like the idea of a fixed size, my kids fill up the box and then I'd not have space to move off to archive !

Fair enough but an alternative might be to mount an exported file system on external storage using nfs or samba. That way you can do a direct copy to external storage when it is full. That works too, I just tried it!

I've built and ran uShare on the Foxsat HDR. (upnp only, no dlna) It streamed video O.K. using XBMC on my PC, but it took on average, 30 seconds from clicking on a video, to actually seeing it displayed. (Twonky is almost instant). What was your experience with your server ?

Admittedly I was running ushare on a i5-2500 streaming to a T2 an/ord Xbox360 with no problem.

Briefly looking at the documentation t does say it uses memory and isn't designed for large library (or limited resources perhaps), did it start swapping ?

I don't think the T2 will make a good server, it has very limited resources, it's really a client, not a server imo.

Is Twonky a commercial product? Mentions 30day trial.

It referes to a license which I can't find:

• licence-en.rtfLicence Agreement​
Have you tried minidlna (http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/) may be better. Source code here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/files/minidlna/1.0.19/minidlna_1.0.19_src.tar.gz/download
  • TwonkyVision GmbH is located in Berlin, Germany - a Spin-Off company of the Fraunhofer Research Institute which is well known for the its MP3 developments.
Vague license, come back to bite like MP3 ?

af123-webif, looking forward to EPG and ability to setup recordings. 32" tv 15ft away it's a bit small for my eye sight, my 22" lcd monitor on my pc is a better setup for EPG, likewise my eeePC or even my phone, all could get access to the web server via WiFi.

To the EPG it would be good to have a what's new, ie just show from last time what's new was selected, so I don't have to go over the programs I've already ignored.

Is Twonky a commercial product? Mentions 30day trial.
Yes, it is a commercial product with a 30 day trial period. However, when installed on the Foxat-HDR the trial never expires. Remains at 30 days forever. (maybe it tries to save countdown to a read only area of the OS). I would imagine it would be the same for the T2.
And there are plenty of precompiled static mipsel binaries of TwonkyMedia available for testing.
Thanks for the link to minidlna. I might give that one a try when I get the time.

I can see them for things recorded on SD, but not for HD. It could be some lingering protection in the replacement tinyftp; I'll have a look.
Problem is file size not protection, needs recompiling with large file support.

Here's a suggestion to simplify the virtual disk package...

Much neater, thanks.

I've updated the virtual-disk package to do this. All you need to do now is install the package (after opkg update) and it will automatically create a disk called 'virtual' for you. Anything copied to it will end up in /mnt/hd2/virtual_disk - I kept it out of /mod to make it easier to reset the whole packaging environment with just rm -rf /mod/* if necessary.

Removing the package will unmount the disk but not remove any files from the virtual disk location.

I've updated the virtual-disk package to do this.
Thanks for that it works fine. I think that will be good for people who will want to run a DLNA server on the hummy. However, I do not not think it is the best option for those who want to keep the files on a NAS since they will have to pull the files from the hummy.

Perhaps what is needed is another package which could be used to setup NFS or samba mounts. Something like this should work:

Code:
mount nas_ip:/dir_on nas /media/nas -t nfs -o nolock

mount nas_ip:/dir_on_nas /media/My\ Video/nas -t nfs -o nolock

The reason it is mounted twice is so that the NAS appears as a "USB" device to do the initial copying (with decryption on the fly) then the second mount will make it visible in the hummy's view of the filesystem. The advantage of this over DLNA is that although the files are on a remote file system they will appear as if they are local to the hummy. Therfore when playing back on the hummy:
  • All the transport controls should work (including FF & Rewind)
  • The position is remembered
  • The server doesn't have do any transcoding

I've just updated the HDF files with two fixes:
  • The FTP server (HDR version) now supports large files (thanks to Raydon for the pointer);
  • A second attempt to fix support for ext3 formatted disks (thanks to Raydon again!).
See the first post in this thread for latest links.

I've succeeded in getting MediaTomb 0.11.0 UPnP mediaserver up and running on the HDR T2. Now streaming video from the virtual disk to my PC using XBMC as the client. Works a treat ! :)
I'll pass full details about the installation to af123, and hopefully he will bundle it up into an opkg package and host it on his site.

Excellent news. The one I built core dumps and I haven't had a chance to work out why.

Thanks to those who are putting in this great effort.

Not sure if i did anything wrong but I tried using the update file from post #77 for a box which was standard. Upgrade appeared to work ok, but i could not get the telnet server to auto install. i switched on the ftp server and checked the /bin directory for some extra files that are added in with the firmware, but could not see them.

I then tried the upgrade with the files from #59 which appeared to work the same again, but trying again this time it took the telnet server from post #1.

I checked and had telnet acccess, installed the virtual disk package, then re tried the hdf firmware update from post #77 and successfuly copied sd film to virtual disk and then my server using Filezilla of over 3GB.

Back