Customised HDF file released

It will usually start on that port (and to be honest I've never seen it on a different one), but the documentation states:By default MediaTomb will select a free port starting with 49152.... it is possible that the port will change upon server restart.
so it's not entirely guaranteed.
Documentation also states:
however you can specify a port of your choice in the configuration file.
so I suppose you could make it fixed if you wanted to.:)

Thanks for your help so far - everything works great. I was wondering if it might be possible to make mediatomb also serve the contents of External USB drives plugged into the Humax. I can see the drive in the mediatomb filesystem browser but adding folders seems to do nothing. I'd like to be able to archive shows to the usb as well as the virtual drive. (Ive tried a USB thats both FAT32 and Ext3 with no luck)

Thanks for your help so far - everything works great. I was wondering if it might be possible to make mediatomb also serve the contents of External USB drives plugged into the Humax. I can see the drive in the mediatomb filesystem browser but adding folders seems to do nothing. I'd like to be able to archive shows to the usb as well as the virtual drive. (Ive tried a USB thats both FAT32 and Ext3 with no luck)

It should just work if you find the location in the MT browser then click on the + with arrows circling it.. It did for me anyway with a USB flash drive.

Ah.. I was trying to get it to index .avi files - works fine if the USB has a .ts file on it!

Have a look in /mod/mediatomb/config/config.xml and uncomment one of the <map> tags relating to .avi files - then restart mediatomb (killall mediatomb && /mod/mediatomb/start)

Code:
        <!-- Uncomment the line below for PS3 divx support -->
        <!-- <map from="avi" to="video/divx"/> -->
        <!-- Uncomment the line below for D-Link DSM / ZyXEL DMA-1000 -->
        <!-- <map from="avi" to="video/avi"/> -->

The second one is probably the one you want. If it works, I'll update the package to include that by default.

I've just updated the HDF file to mod version 1.03.

This version cleans up a few things and should hopefully stop the very occasional reported problems with disks not mounting properly. It also enables the hostname to be customised (edit /var/lib/humaxtv/hostname) should you wish, and provides a 'network is up' flag that can be used by other packages to delay their startup until after the network is available - mainly of use if your network is configured dynamically via DHCP. There's also a properly populated hosts file now after boot which paves the way for future packages such as samba.

The mediatomb package has also been updated to take account of the network-up flag - you can upgrade it in place with opkg update && opkg upgrade mediatomb.

The new files are linked to from the first post in this thread.

As usual, thanks to everyone who has contributed and especially to Raydon whose code and ideas I have adopted and extended.

The links in the first post in this thread are correct, and I'll keep those ones up todate. I'll remove all others now and point to the first post to avoid confusion.
Thanks for that. I tried to flash my HDR, and get this error code: E-ID :( What can I do?

Sounds like you were lucky enough to be a beta tester...

To be as safe as possible, I'd reload the official 1.02.07 using the information in that thread before trying to install the modified HDF. The betas updated the kernel and there may be compatibility problems if the kernel/userspace don't match. The second beta also modified the boot loader but there is no way to undo that since we don't have the original.

You'll see from that thread that Raydon has an HDF file that can reset your system ID - you might want to ask him for a copy.

Thanks AF. I will do so.

Can I influence your work and ask you to concentrate on looking for the encryption keys that scrambles the HD recordings? This key must be kept on the box in some sort of ROM. Is it possible to get some tools to examine the ROM?

Another method I thought about is by analysing the buffer and an HD recording. We know that the buffer is not scrambled and recordings are, so if we could capture both streams and look at the differences, we could get the encryption key?

It is a pain not being able to stream HD recordings...

To be completely safe, I'd reload the official 1.02.07 using the information in that thread before trying to install the modified HDF. The betas updated the kernel and there may be compatibility problems if the kernel/userspace don't match. The second beta also modified the boot loader but there is no way to undo that since we don't have the original.

You'll see from that thread that Raydon has an HDF file that can reset your system ID - you might want to ask him for a copy.

Can I influence your work and ask you to concentrate on looking for the encryption keys that scrambles the HD recordings? This key must be kept on the box in some sort of ROM. Is it possible to get some tools to examine the ROM?

So far all of the modifications have been to the open source linux/busybox environment. I don't have any plans to reverse engineer the Humax proprietry software since that would be illegal.

It is a pain not being able to stream HD recordings...

I would imagine this will be possible in the near future.

@af123 - is there any chance you can look to see if something like THIS is possible?
Missing thumbs for network media is something I would like added :)

This is just what I am after, it will be a great day when this happens :)

It most certainly is. If you install or upgrade the hmt package, then you can remove the protection from the .hmt on the box. You should be able to see the effect of this in the media list by the presence/absence of the <Enc> icon next to the recording.

Code:
humax# opkg update && opkg upgrade hmt
Upgrading hmt on root from 0.0.2 to 1.0.0...
humax# cd /media/My\ Video/Doctor\ Who/
humax# hmt -protect *Day_of_the_Moon.hmt

To unprotect all recordings in a folder, just do
Code:
humax# cd <folder>
humax# hmt -protect *.hmt
The HMT tool can dump information from the HMT files and, in addition to removing/re-adding the encryption protection it can also be used to lock/unlock or mark recordings as new/watched.

Once you've unprotected the file, then you can copy it to the virtual disk as with SD recordings and it will be decrypted on the way.

Raydon provided the information on the HMT file format which made this possible so hats off to him :D

Is there any resource for the uninitiated to learn what can be done with the packages. I guess more along the how do you use them. This is from someone who does not know what telneting is.

I have updated the www.hummypkg.org.uk front page with a fairly basic getting started guide, showing how to get the custom firmware loaded on and how to get media streaming working. Hopefully that will be enough to get you started. Any feedback on that page would be appreciated - I'm probably too close to this thing to write decent high level documentation :confused:

Back