Customised HDF file released

Fantastic work going on here af123 - really great stuff! I'm on the HD model myself - do you know when the download link will reappear for that one?

Cheers

I'm on the HD model myself - do you know when the download link will reappear for that one?

It should only be a day or two - I'm working with one of the other forum members who has an HD model to test the latest build. There are some differences with that model that need accommodating.

It should only be a day or two - I'm working with one of the other forum members who has an HD model to test the latest build. There are some differences with that model that need accommodating.
Yup, completely understand - thanks again for doing this...it'll hopefully allow the HD model's life to be extended a little as it look like Humax have all but abandoned it now :(

This is looking brilliant. It would be brilliant if the decrypt/copy process could be automated on request of a stream from the DLNA server. Any ideas if this could be done?

This is looking brilliant. It would be brilliant if the decrypt/copy process could be automated on request of a stream from the DLNA server. Any ideas if this could be done?
The copy has to be initiated from the T2 itself, so it's highly unlikely that this will ever be implemented. It would require someone to reverse engineer the proprietary Humax binaries which is illegal. As af123 has already stated, the only changes to be made will be to the publicly licensed linux busybox OS.

af123: looks like the mongoose binary does not have large file support either. When you Browse Media Files, anything > 2GB is listed with a zero file size and a date of 1st Jan 1970 (epoch start). (I had same issue with Mongoose on the Foxsat HDR).

The copy has to be initiated from the T2 itself, so it's highly unlikely that this will ever be implemented.

Shame because that would have been very good, that extra step is only a slight annoyance though. How about scheduling (or watching the file system) the foxy procedure so that all recordings are enabled and then the only step required to stream them is the copy to virtual?

It would require someone to reverse engineer the proprietary Humax binaries which is illegal.

There's been some comments about reverse-engineering being illegal, which isn't strictly the case. It depends on what form of reverse engineering is done and how its done.

In the European Union, reverse engineering is allowed under Article 6 of the European Software Directive, for interoperability purposes. So trying to figure out what the program does is ok, However, you can't use this information to create a competing product and there seems to be issues on what can be published.

However, it gets more complex as other aspects of the law come into play ie copyright. Decompiling and re-writing into a different language is illegal as there is also no provision for decompilation within UK law. However the UK laws are less restrictive than the US and its perfectly legitimate to write your own program to do something that another program does.

Also, I believe there are other laws on circumventing copyright protection but not sure here.

I have updated the www.hummypkg.org.uk front page with a fairly basic getting started guide, showing how to get the custom firmware loaded on and how to get media streaming working.
Awesome stuff, many thanks af123! I've been tracking this thread - "following" would suggest vastly more technical understanding then I actually possess! - but this summary makes me think that even I could have a go.

One question: am I right in understanding that the opkg command actually interrogates and downloads stuff from the http://hummypkg.org.uk web site, so you need to have access to that site from the Humax in order to install the packages?

With any luck, the next version of the firmware that Humax release will do this. Unless someone publishes the encryption keys (or how they can be found as I think they are per machine) then we aren't going to be able to do it.

Shame because that would have been very good, that extra step is only a slight annoyance though. How about scheduling (or watching the file system) the foxy procedure so that all recordings are enabled and then the only step required to stream them is the copy to virtual?

You could do this on-box either with a startup script or with the cron-daemon and hmt packages. It will only work while the box is powered on but it would be perfectly possible to write scripts that scan the box for new recorded content and remove the encryption flag, ready for you to copy it to virtual if you want to stream it.

One question: am I right in understanding that the opkg command actually interrogates and downloads stuff from the http://hummypkg.org.uk web site, so you need to have access to that site from the Humax in order to install the packages?

That's right - it downloads packages straight from that website by default. However, if you don't have the Humax connected to the Internet then you can download the packages elsewhere and put them on a USB drive, plug it into the PVR and install them straight from there. They can be installed automatically by adding .auto to the end of the filenames, or by hand just like:

Code:
humax# opkg install /media/drive1/XXX.opk

or similar.

With any luck, the next version of the firmware that Humax release will do this.
DNLA in the betas I tried played SD w/o encryption but not HD (didnt even show up when u browsed the box).

With any luck, the next version of the firmware that Humax release will do this.
Maybe not, the DLNA server to be implemented on the T2 uses DTCP-IP link protection and will only stream encrypted video to a client that supports that protocol. e.g. another T2. However, with any luck you should be able to connect to it with a non compliant client, and stream unencrypted content, same as can be done now with Mediatomb.

If I take an HD recording, clear the protect flag, then copy it to the virtual disk using the HDR UI, I would then expect the ts files to be different but this is not what I see.
Code:
# hmt -protect recording.hmt
[The "enc" flag is no longer shown against the recording in the UI.]
[Then use the UI to copy to the virtual disk]
# cd /media/virtual
# cmp ../My\ Video/recording.ts recording.ts
#

Am I missing something?

I have updated the www.hummypkg.org.uk front page with a fairly basic getting started guide
Before I try this I'd like to understand one more thing: am I right in thinking that you can go back to an official Humax firmware build by just installing one of their HDF files in the normal way?

On the hummypkg web site it says to remove the contents of /mod and restart the PVR but I'm guessing that this just puts it back to where you were after you first installed the customised HDF.

If I take an HD recording, clear the protect flag, then copy it to the virtual disk using the HDR UI, I would then expect the ts files to be different but this is not what I see.
Code:
# hmt -protect recording.hmt
[The "enc" flag is no longer shown against the recording in the UI.]
[Then use the UI to copy to the virtual disk]
# cd /media/virtual
# cmp ../My\ Video/recording.ts recording.ts
#

Am I missing something?
No, I am experiencing the same problem. The hmt utility is not working correctly. af123: Will PM you with details.

Before I try this I'd like to understand one more thing: am I right in thinking that you can go back to an official Humax firmware build by just installing one of their HDF files in the normal way?
That is correct.
On the hummypkg web site it says to remove the contents of /mod and restart the PVR but I'm guessing that this just puts it back to where you were after you first installed the customised HDF.
Almost. If you want absolutely everything back to vanilla Humax as it was pre-mod, then you must remove the /mnt/hd2/mod directory as well as its contents. And, if you've installed the virtual disk package you must also remove the /mnt/hd2/virtual_disk directory and contents too. Then reflash with official firmware.

Back