Customised HDF file released

Hmm... Before we get too excited, I have a nasty feeling I may have sacrificed my box to the cause :( I now can't install a firmware update from usb. The "hold down the powerbutton on startup" no longer works.

Hurrah - I've managed to flash my HD box back to normal :). Turns out I'm completely stupid, and didn't try one important thing - About the time it broke, I fitted a usb extender lead to the usb port to save me reaching round the back all the time and save ware and tear on the socket - just a male to female job, no hub or anything fancy. Just thought to try it without that and it worked! Strange as the flash disk is quite readable with the lead once its booted up, but the light on the flash comes on later in the boot sequence if the lead is plugged in. I can only guess that it takes a little time to ramp up the power on the usb, and longer lead causes enough resistance to slow it down. One to watch out for in future!

Now to turn my confused "HDR/HD" box back into a "HD/HDR" - though I'd just got it all working nicely, its good that my box is no longer so "unique" and I can post scripts without having to get someone else to test them first!

Sorry if this has been covered....

Does the modified install break the standard FTP? Anything I need to do?

What's happened is that I can log in to FTP and see the top level directory, but when I try to open /media the FTP client hangs. First time I've tried it since installing 1.09.

Update: OK, it's not broken, I just have to be very careful not to accidentally open the /media directory (or many others) and go straight in at /mnt - I had better make that my default.

Umm... I don't think I had this problem pre-mod. Is it the case that since the mod I am still accessing via the standard FTP server and cannot access anything other than the media directories, or am I now using the mod FTP? I don't think I could see the full root directory before.

If you have installed the custom firmware, then you're using the modified FTP daemon. It is the source code that Humax make available for download under GPL which has had the directory restrictions removed. It isn't a very good FTP server though as it's designed to be lightweight so doesn't support things like passive FTP and even NLST. It also crashes when attempts are made to change to a non-existent directory (that's the same with the stock one).

On the Foxsat, they have made an alternative FTP server available too and I could do the same here. Something like proftpd shouldn't be too heavy on resources, but there may be smaller alternatives too.

You could also install the dropbear-ssh package and use a client like WinSCP instead.

I'm finding that attempting to update the available packages - through webif or using telnet - is producing a "Resource temporarily unavailable" error. This leaves the Package Management page broken as follows:

Runtime Error: /mod/var/mongoose/lib/pkg.class:56: Collected errors: * opkg_conf_load: Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable. in procedure 'pkg' called at file "pkg.jim", line 60 at file "/mod/var/mongoose/lib/pkg.class", line 56

This seems to happen most of the time. What's the best solution?

I get a lot of page timeouts on the Wiki, too. Is the server struggling?

I have that very frequently too. I have to reboot the Hummy to 'clear' it. Bit of a faff but a small price to pay.

I'm finding that attempting to update the available packages - through webif or using telnet - is producing a "Resource temporarily unavailable" error.

This means that the package system is busy doing something. Just doing pkill opkg should clear it. It may be related to your next point in that an opkg progress could be hanging because it is unable to communicate with the repository.

I get a lot of page timeouts on the Wiki, too. Is the server struggling?

... I have opened a ticket with the ISP. It seems to be network related and I know they have recently rolled out IPv6 so that might be relevant. Hopefully they will fix the problem quickly.

Any chance of a minimal custom release which only contains the T2 HD flag tweak, the one which allows HD content to be copied off? Whilst the developer in me longs to play with all the whizzy extra features (and well done in doing this - I'll bet it wasn't trivial!), I just don't have the time these days - but being able to watch HD off-line every now and again would be very useful and save me the "left leg in, left leg out..." routine with raydon's Foxy app. I should add I'm a firm believer is not adding more than I need so replacing the standard FTP server etc is not something that interests me.

With respect, it seems pretty minimal now. Custom firmware + webif + auto-unprotect + hmt. With this you can 'decrypt' recordings on-the-fly via the webif (Web Interface) and save them to your PC.

TBH, although I can stream from the Hummy I, like you, prefer to download the whole program to my PC first.

Umm, maybe I've misunderstood. I had assumed that the af123 code merely cleared some sort of "enc" flag on all HD recordings meaning I could FTP them straight off to a PC. I was also assuming this would make them available via the media server feature so I could stream them to another box (PC or otherwise).

If even with af123's code, I still need to go in via a Web interface and say "I'd like this file made available in the clear" then I can live with Raydon's Foxy "hokey-cokey" approach for the small number of times I will use it.

Auto-unprotect package does clear the enc flag, but only that AFAIK. The HiDef recording is still encrypted, just not flagged so. After the flag has been removed the recording will still require decrypting in order to view it. This can be done via Raydon's Foxy program, or with the latest development in the webif, 'directly' on the Hummy while the transfer from the Hummy to the PC is in progress.

HTH.

Auto-unprotect package does clear the enc flag, but only that AFAIK. The HiDef recording is still encrypted, just not flagged so. After the flag has been removed the recording will still require decrypting in order to view it. This can be done via Raydon's Foxy program, or with the latest development in the webif, 'directly' on the Hummy while the transfer from the Hummy to the PC is in progress.

HTH.

Sorry still not quite right. The only thing* that decrypts a file is copying to usb (either real or virtual if using the hacked firmware). Foxy only removes the ENC flag so that the decrypt on copy will work on HiDef files as well as SD - but everything needs a copy to usb to actually decrypt.

* There has also been work to look at using the streaming capability to decrypt on the fly but I'm not sure how near to a solution that's got just yet.

Remember that the Humax encrypts all recordings that it creates on the disk. auto-unprotect and Foxy do effectively the same thing. They both remove a flag from HD recordings so that the box then treats them in the same way as SD recordings. That is, the Humax will decrypt them if they are copied to an external (or virtual) drive using the remote control.

auto-unprotect goes a step further by changing the DLNA server database so that HD recordings can be streamed in the same was as SD (ratx's technique).

* There has also been work to look at using the streaming capability to decrypt on the fly but I'm not sure how near to a solution that's got just yet.

The Download option in the web interface uses this to allow direct downloads of encrypted content with decryption on the fly.

The Download option in the web interface uses this to allow direct downloads of encrypted content with decryption on the fly.

Thanks, af123. I have used it (as you know), so know it 'does it on fly', so to speak.

As I said, I don't stream. I only use the download option from the webif to copy recordings to my PC (which does decrypt them on-the-fly' now). After a troublesome start, all is well with this procedure (for me at least) for now.

Umm, maybe I've misunderstood. I had assumed that the af123 code merely cleared some sort of "enc" flag on all HD recordings meaning I could FTP them straight off to a PC. I was also assuming this would make them available via the media server feature so I could stream them to another box (PC or otherwise).

If even with af123's code, I still need to go in via a Web interface and say "I'd like this file made available in the clear" then I can live with Raydon's Foxy "hokey-cokey" approach for the small number of times I will use it.

To clarify: clearing the flag that protects a file from being decrypted does not decrypt the file. In order to get a clear copy you have to provoke the Humax' native code to do a decryption, which means (for non-HiDef) copying the recording to external storage using the handset, or (for HiDef) clearing the protection flag ("Enc") and then copying. Clearing the flag can be done by the Foxy process or by running the auto-unprotect script. FTP bypasses the Humax' copy routines and therefore does not (in itself) provide you with a decrypted file.

Network access via the DLNA interface also provides a route to decryption, which means that provided you know the right URL you can get at non-HiDef recordings decrypted on-the-fly (which is what the web interface download option does), and as long as another selection of flags is cleared (auto-unprotect again) HiDef recordings the same way.

All fully documented (in so far as I have actually explored myself) in Black Hole's Trail Guide.

Back