Damn Accurate Recording (AR)

I set a recording earlier using padding (it's on by default on our machine) then converted the recording to AR and it recorded fine.

Stumping my some work and others fail.

If there is anything I can do to test out why some fail I'm more than happy to help.

What can be done then to prove it either way?
Not a lot, just extensive testing and experience. Without access to an analysis of the Humax firmware, there may be subtleties of interaction which are not at all obvious. All the custom firmware / software is caveat emptor.

Scientifically, no hypothesis/theory is ever provable, only disprovable. A hypothesis becomes a theory when a sufficient series of experiments have produced results which do not contradict predictions made by application of the hypothesis. There is always the possibility of a contrary result around the corner to disprove even the most entrenched theory.

Does individual selection of AR work every time? Apparently not. Under what conditions does it not work? Don't know.

Why not go over to all AR for a short while and see what happens (make padding = 0 in the settings)?

I have 45 recordings and don't fancy setting them all up again, but I'll go through setting them all up again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Can anyone else who uses AR for recording give me some idea of how it works for radio.

TV I can cope with missing recordings, radio not as I like to record a full series then listen to them all in 1 go while commuting.

I mainly use Radio 4 & Radio 4 Extra.

I have 45 recordings and don't fancy setting them all up again, but I'll go through setting them all up again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Can anyone else who uses AR for recording give me some idea of how it works for radio.
No problem with Radio4 AR; you don't have to set up the recording schedule again - all you have to do is set your padding settings to zero.

If all else fails there're iPlayer downloads.

... Can anyone else who uses AR for recording give me some idea of how it works for radio.
I mainly use Radio 4 & Radio 4 Extra.

Up to at least 14 months ago AR did not exist for BBC radio. The recordings started and stopped at near enough the scheduled time. Some time slots on BBC radio appeared to be sacrosanct and the broadcast occurred within the allotted broadcast period. Others slots were not so favoured. Fourteen months ago I felt that I was wasting my time trying out AR on radio and have not intentionally tried AR on radio since.

I'll try some AR recordings next week on what use to be a dodgy slot and see what happens. I'm expecting a fail based on my accidental occasional use of AR for radio since I gave up on radio AR. The dodgy slot I will try is the Radio 4's The Archers, 14:00-14:15 weekdays, which frequently use to over run. An AR recording of its following programme, Afternoon Drama, frequently included dialog from The Archers and usually included at least part of the The Archers' theme tune.

Edit 21 Sep 2013 at 8:00: I tried out some extra Radio 4 recordings using AR on the HDR-FOX-T2. Ramblings this morning did not broadcast within its allocated time slot. The result was that the recording was truncated with very close to 2 minutes missing from the end. I am still going to try out the recordings I mentioned but I have already made my mind up. There is no way that I am going to start trying to use AR for radio again for my listening.
If you just want to try out 1 radio recording for AR then a good one is the Friday Drama on Radio 4 scheduled for 21:00-21:58. For years now I have never known an episode to be broadcast that did not overrun. It’s not on every week and it’s just repeats now, but I use to listen to almost every one and always kicked myself if I accidentally used AR.

On the subject of the failed multiple recordings , or the multiple failed recordings
Last night I had 4 failed recordings, 1st time I have ever had an email about it.

/Pat and Cabbage/Pat and Cabbage_20130919_2030
/Peaky Blinders/Peaky Blinders_20130919_2100
/Sound of Cinema_ The Music that Made___/Sound of Cinema_ The Music that Made____20130919_2100
/Shaun the Sheep/Shaun the Sheep_20130919_1515

Would the channels/mux of the 20:30, and two 21:00 recorded programs be relevant. I use padding on recordings and dont use the RS package. Sometimes when using manual recordings I get recordings I dont expect and I can only guess it is something to do with the live broadcast/pause function.

but for some reason recorded for 179 minutes:

Start Time Thu Sep 19 20:01:14 2013 BST (Scheduled: Thu Sep 19 20:00:00 2013 BST)
End Time Thu Sep 19 22:59:58 2013 BST (Scheduled: Thu Sep 19 21:00:00 2013 BST)

If the start time was 20:01:14 and the end time was 22:59:58 how come the recording was 179 minutes long ?

What was the box doing at 21:00?
Were you watching channel 5* or live/paused feed at the time with a 0:01:14 catchup/delay ?

How long is the Humax pause buffer ? Is it 119 minutes ? Would 179minutes make 60 minutes for the original recording plus the 119 minutes pause/playback?

It has been reported that the freeview+ specification specified that an AR recording would stop at most 2 hours after the scheduled stop time in case it was a run away recording. I now of no reason not to doubt that the freeview+ specification really stated that or to think that the specification may have changed.

If the start time was 20:01:14 and the end time was 22:59:58 how come the recording was 179 minutes long ?

That is 2h 58m 44s = 178m 44s which the box will round up to 179m on the display.

Oops! I rounded it down! Back to P5 maths for me!!

It has been reported that the freeview+ specification specified that an AR recording would stop at most 2 hours after the scheduled stop time .

This would explain the end time at 22:59:58.

And the broadcast program started at 20:01:14.

In my experience Radio 4 18:30-19:00 programmes always are broadcast between 18:30 and 19:00 and so no AR would be necessary.

Edit: The Sunday repeat may be a bit dodgy!

I find it strange so many have issues with AR. I can only assume that some channels are much better than others? The majority of my recordings are from the BBC, channel4 and ITV...

Posted on the move

When you say "BBC" are you referring to BBC TV or BBC TV & Radio? The way BBC treat AR for TV and radio is very very different.
I do not have an "issue" with BBC radio as I treat AR on BBC radio as non-existent and set up padded recordings instead. My trials in the last 12 hours indicate that this is going to continue.

Useful info, and with the multimode package one can pre-define which channels to default to padding. (Of course, one needs a reboot before any new schedule items are converted.)

Up to at least 14 months ago AR did not exist for BBC radio. The recordings started and stopped at near enough the scheduled time. Some time slots on BBC radio appeared to be sacrosanct and the broadcast occurred within the allotted broadcast period. Others slots were not so favoured. Fourteen months ago I felt that I was wasting my time trying out AR on radio and have not intentionally tried AR on radio since.

I'll try some AR recordings next week on what use to be a dodgy slot and see what happens. I'm expecting a fail based on my accidental occasional use of AR for radio since I gave up on radio AR. The dodgy slot I will try is the Radio 4's The Archers, 14:00-14:15 weekdays, which frequently use to over run. An AR recording of its following programme, Afternoon Drama, frequently included dialog from The Archers and usually included at least part of the The Archers' theme tune.

Edit 21 Sep 2013 at 8:00: I tried out some extra Radio 4 recordings using AR on the HDR-FOX-T2. Ramblings this morning did not broadcast within its allocated time slot. The result was that the recording was truncated with very close to 2 minutes missing from the end. I am still going to try out the recordings I mentioned but I have already made my mind up. There is no way that I am going to start trying to use AR for radio again for my listening.
If you just want to try out 1 radio recording for AR then a good one is the Friday Drama on Radio 4 scheduled for 21:00-21:58. For years now I have never known an episode to be broadcast that did not overrun. It’s not on every week and it’s just repeats now, but I use to listen to almost every one and always kicked myself if I accidentally used AR.

Thank you for your test result, I found out previously that many radio shows missed the start or end which is why I switched to padded recording.

Radio 7 as it was came off the worst due to the spoken links in between.

I think for now I'll stick to padded recording on the radio and just FFWD the start of each recording.

Back