Damned BBC

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
We're really getting our money's worth today: the same identical content on four BBC services simultaneously (all bloody day - and no doubt BBC FOUR will join in at 7). :(

Similar programmes on ITV, C5 & Sky News. I’d been out for a long walk and missed the story. Trying to find an alternative programme difficult. Agree the BBC is over the top. One channel enough. Two at a push.

Just noticed that all BBC radio on Freeview is playing out same programme. 601 is showing programmes are suspended caption. At this rate BBC 4 will not be showing anything different either.

Looks like you can write off the rest of the day on BBC according to the EPG. Although the EPG does suggest something different on BBC 4.

The iPlayer home page says they've suspended all programming, presumably as a display of respect. I might just about understand that if it had been the monarch. Sh*t. Just as well I have a backlog of recordings (yes, still).

I'm currently trying to get the golf highlights up on iPlayer - that's not going too well either.

I'm currently trying to get the golf highlights up on iPlayer - that's not going too well either.
:sleep: Resorted to qtube, which has decided to pull the HiDef stream, so (on my broadband) that's going slower than real time...

:sleep: Resorted to qtube, which has decided to pull the HiDef stream, so (on my broadband) that's going slower than real time...
I tend to have this, and comment out the ones that are not std def because it takes too long to download

File Editor
Editing /mod/etc/youtube-dl.conf

--restrict-filenames
--prefer-ffmpeg
#-f "best[height<=?1080][fps<=?60]"
#-f "best[height<=?720][fps<=?60]"
-f "best[height<=?576][fps<=?60]"

Yes, I was restricting the height the same way but wanted to grab something in HiDef and forgot to put it back! I like the idea of comment switches.

Watching it now. Little coverage of Bryson DeChambeau, who was full of himself before the event how his long drives would conquer all... by which I assume he didn't. No point having a huge drive if you can't hit it in the right direction!

Edit: 4 over par after first round.

Last edited:
A bonus, for me at least, is that the radio has been worth listening to. Instead of the mindless pap coming from the likes of BBC R2 ( usually a former R1 clone), they have been playing some decent stuff.
My wife read somewhere that the head of radio stated programmes would generally be aimed at the younger listener, therefore losing a fair proportion of the generations brought up enjoying a variety of genres.

Last edited:
Maybe. But why has Radio 4 Extra not returned? The BBC has made a right pig’s ear out of this. Hope they learn from all the complaints they’ve had. They won’t. Auntie knows best.

ClassicFM went so sombre I had to turn it off.

From Reddit:

1618128367592.png

:frantic:

For "half a day" read 12 hours (ie 12.10pm to midnight), so it would have been more if death had been announced earlier in the day. I make 12 hours three-quarters of a waking day (the bit that matters), not half.

No point having a huge drive if you can't hit it in the right direction!
No point in hitting it in the right direction if hitting onto a dome of glass. As is so often the case the course is turning the tournament into a lottery. Of course, by the laws of probability there will be a few of the best players in the world getting enough of the rub of the green to put them in the hunt come Sunday afternoon.

If DeChambeau were getting anywhere near the "dome of glass", I wouldn't be so critical. All the putting was off yesterday. At least Rose is still in the hunt (par 72 has been his worst of three rounds).

There seems to be no separation of complaints about the actual coverage (which was fine for a nationally significant event) and the simple fact they need not have turned over all their channels to it. There is an opinion abroad that complaining about the blanket coverage is tantamount to complaining about the coverage per se. Woke!

I've heard BBC FOUR was off air in the evening – I didn't know that, I had seen from the EPG it was being turned over to the same as ONE, TWO, and NEWS. BBC Parliament was also on the EPG as the same output, I don't know what actually happened.

Back