Desktop Notifications

Didn't look like XP to me. XP doesn't have apps (Yeuch! I hate the term apps.)
And there lies another topic to discuss! I hate the term application too, and prefer program. A launcher in Android is called an app, but you might just as well say that Android and iOS are apps.

The possibility that other web sites contain a trigger is not excluded!

Something has to trigger it, otherwise I would see the pop-up for any web page not just (in my case) BT Mail.
I would guess that in Chrome you have the second option, and you need the first or third. Not every site requests notifications.

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More
    N5LLlFszQeMqXo6Z6UF1VXFN4k3UxO8H8ZU3FV8AjUhomHuRCrwUeKMg1BhuFxKwqQ=w18-h18-rwa
    nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13-h18-rwa
    Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  4. Under Privacy, click Content settings.
  5. Under Notifications, choose one of the following:
    • Allow all sites to show notifications: You’ll automatically see notifications from all websites.
    • Ask when a site wants to show notifications: You’ll get an alert from Chrome whenever a site wants to show you notifications. This is the default setting.
    • Do not allow any site to show notifications: You won’t see any notifications from websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that when I used BT Yahoo mail and then BT mail I never saw those requests to show notifications because I had option 3 enabled. Option 1 sounds a recipe for disaster and 2 is, as you say, annoying!

I barely used that mail anyway, what there was of it was forwarded to my gmail account.

Edit: What af123 is showing is the request to allow notifications. My solution is to refuse them all. Yahoo should be setting a cookie so that they don't keep repeating the request every time you go to their site.

Yahoo should be setting a cookie so that they don't keep repeating the request every time you go to their site.
That was my first thought. But with so many cookie popups and cookie blocking programs it's difficult to keep track of ones you might have blocked.

I've had Facebook offering me notifications now, but this was a different pop-up asking me to "allow" or "block", and when I clicked "block" a tool-tip pointed to the HTTPS padlock and said "if you change your mind click here" (or something similar).

Different behaviour, so I assume the process is dictated by services programmed into the web page.

So, block Facebook from running JavaScript, there is no mystery there, just a conspiracy to get us to see spam messages.

Nothing has popped up so far, so nothing to report yet. I won't be able to prove who it was told me that it's nothing to do with their end (which it is, if the web page carries a trigger), or that the only thing I can do to stop it is use IE (which isn't), so I have lost interest in tackling BT about it.

Nothing has popped up so far, so nothing to report yet. I won't be able to prove who it was told me that it's nothing to do with their end (which it is, if the web page carries a trigger), or that the only thing I can do to stop it is use IE (which isn't), so I have lost interest in tackling BT about it.
But did the solutions above for Chrome not work?

Indeed. It's much like trying to prove something doesn't exist.
You don't need absolute proof, just extremely low probability. If we spent all our time worrying about everything that has extremely low probability, we would never get anything done. If we believed something despite all evidence to the contrary, we could fairly be described as psychotic.

But to ask for a solution to a problem, be given one, and then to ignore it, is plain weird! Of course, the information from Google might be incorrect, but then there is all the evidence from other users that it works.

You don't need absolute proof, just extremely low probability.
Low probability is not proof.
In many practical situations we accept low probability as evidence that the [thing] is or isn't so, but it still isn't proof. In the type of case BH is dealing with above it's very hard to judge when sufficient time has elapsed without a recurrence such that the problem can be considered fixed.

I have/had a problem with my cloud backup system recently. I think it's fixed, but as no specific issue was found to fix I can't be certain it won't come back sometime - Murphy's Law is always at the back of my mind :)

I agree, you can never be sure, but when Google explain how their alert system works, if that fails then it is a bug report to Google's Chrome team rather than BT or Yahoo, no matter how much the latter two deserve it.

Plus, I and many others followed the recommendations and never got bothered with such alerts. I suspect IE and Edge have the rule enabled by default for non-trusted sites, ie, block alerts.

It seems to me to be a no-brainer to block alerts in Chrome. Irrespective of whether or not the web page requests them, just ignore the request. The latter will still be in the source, and, if Yahoo have removed it BH cannot prove one way or another that it used to be, unless he archives every web request and response he ever makes.

So

1 leave things as they are and have a small chance of saying told you so, or

2 deny requests for alert boxes and have a vanishingly, infinitely small chance of getting another alert. (Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation!)

Which do you choose?

If, on the other hand, BH is rejecting cookies, or viewing his web mail in an in cognito window, it could be that Yahoo does not repeatedly display the dialogue box.

Or

rate this app OR later

And other variants. No, I am not going to join Google+ just so I can rate your app!

(Tries to wipe smudge off screen.)

Back