Differentiating between boxes

longhaul

We have three HDR Fox T2s on the network but all show as 'HDR Fox T2 Media Server' when connecting between them or on a Windows 7 box.

Is there a way to rename them so we can see quickly which is which?

All of the boxes are running the latest customised software, if that's relevant.

Changing that would probably require binary patching the Humax software but I'll have a look tonight.

Just confirmed that the media server name is hard coded in the Humax firmware. It can be changed but you'd have to create a different firmware image for each box.

I could look at building you two firmware images that use a different name. I can imagine how much of a pain it is that they all look the same!

As a half-way alternative, how about creating a top level folder on each machine that appeared alongside "My Video" (if it's possible) called (eg) FOX1, FOX2, FOX3 - then at least you would know where you are without going any further. May require some fiddling about in the DLNA database.

I could look at building you two firmware images that use a different name. I can imagine how much of a pain it is that they all look the same!
It would be good if you could but wouldn't that mean repeating the build every time the firmware changed?

Certainly above and beyond any reasonable expectation!

I've written up the process for creating a modified-customised-firmware bundle with a different name for the media server on the Wiki at http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Change_Media_Server_Name

If you follow the process through then you should be able to create new firmware images for your boxes so that they each have a different name. If you have trouble then post here and I'll do my best to help. I don't mind building the images for you but it's always better to teach fishing. : )

Please feel free to update the documentation if it's unclear!

I've followed the instructions but am getting an error: '-/bin/sh: bsed: not found'

I've previously used web-if to change the hostname to 'Humax1' and can see that at the prompt in PuTTY so I seem to be getting to that stage ok...

Oh, and I don't mind being taught how to fish! Understanding what you're doing is the sensible approach.

Ah - bsed is a package I just uploaded this evening, so do

Code:
humax# opkg update && opkg install bsed

The update part is needed to update the package database.

Worked a treat: thanks!

The only gotcha was HDR_FOX_T2 being in upper case in your instructions and lower case in the file name on my USB stick.

One box done, the other two in the morning.

Worked a treat: thanks!

The only gotcha was HDR_FOX_T2 being in upper case in your instructions and lower case in the file name on my USB stick.

No problem, glad it did the trick - FAT is a case-insensitive filesystem so it should work either way.
Remember to re-start with the base customised firmware again each time.

Thanks Ezra for adding the yellow highlighting to the commands - makes it much easier to differentiate commands from output!

Case seemed to matter in this instance as it threw out the instruction when I used upper case rather than lower. But I bow to your (much) superior knowledge!

I've now got three boxes all with different 'Media Device' names: thank you! It's now much easier to see which box is which when I'm looking to play a recording from 'another' of the boxes or from Windows Media Player.

It does, though, look as though one of them, the first to get the treatment, is sulking as it refuses to show up in the network list on my Windows 7 desktop and won't respond to attempts to view it in Firefox or IE. Attempts to do so elicit an 'Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.250' error. A number of reboots have failed to get it out of the sulk. Despite all that, I can ping it without any problems and it's present in the list of 'Media Devices' in Windows 7.

Just to bring things up-to-date, a reinstall of the customised firmware and then the customised customised firmware has brought the recalcitrant box out of its sulk.

Ouch! I think we need some new terminology.

We already have Custom Firmware and Custom Software (we never managed to agree on the need for a name). How about Modified Standard (or Stock) Firmware?

Ouch! I think we need some new terminology.

We already have Custom Firmware and Custom Software (we never managed to agree on the need for a name). How about Modified Standard (or Stock) Firmware?

Let's not start this off Yet Again ! ! ! . The name was agreed by everybody except you. The "customised customised firmware" is only available to people who generate it themselves so it doesn't need a name

Back