1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[disable-ota / disable-dso] Taking Back Control!

Discussion in 'HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware' started by Black Hole, Jul 7, 2012.

1. prpr

prpr Well-Known Member

epgfail.png

Bo**ocks. Will try increasing the time spent on the 'other' channel.

Interestingly, the box is currently tuned to 102, not 106, so I guess that's a bug in the WebIf.

Edit: Actually, I'm forgetting how this works. 106 is correct. Why isn't there a progress bar for 101 and 107? 101 @19:00 hadn't started then (about 18:46 I think) so why was it not showing 18:30?
    Seems 120, 127 and 130 lack progress bars also.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Black Hole

Black Hole Felinos Monk

I'm back!

This is weird. I checked the status of the HDRs, and found the BBC4 recording in the schedule for HDR4, but the BBC2 recording is only in the pending queue for HDR1 with it saying a reboot is required. RTS is set on both (I checked).

What's going on?

3. Black Hole

Black Hole Felinos Monk

Obviously I didn't want to reboot it, but I tried turning RTS off and on again (no change). I went into WebIF EPG and tried scheduling the same recording, but as the programme was already somewhere in the queue the record options were not presented.

I deleted the queued entry, then back in the EPG re-scheduled the recording. This time it went straight into the schedule without being queued (as per RTS).

I seem to have exposed a bug with RS/RTS, but exactly what the bug is I am not sure.

4. mr-b

mr-b New Member

Hi

What is the current recommendation for this setting? I've just got my mother a Humax and she is complaining that it keeps selelcting the BBC Red Button channel every day.
    My head is spinning after reading the previous pages.
    Also I'd like to prevent it waking up if possible as it's is a bedroom and can be noisy.

This update in the first post sounded relevant:

"It is thought that there will be no further over-the-air updates (and modern set-top boxes etc tend to use Internet methods to acquire updates). Nonetheless, a non-customised HD/HDR-FOX will still go looking for one at 0430 every day, coming out of standby to do so or interrupting what you might be watching (if you are an insomniac).

Admittedly, the second-line "reminder" entry in the recording schedule also wakes the unit up (or causes a channel change) which may also be inconvenient, but the reliability of the basic disable-ota package function is now much improved by turning on Real Time Scheduling in WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings, and the reminder schedule entry is no longer needed."

But a cursory search revealed that Real Time Scheduling (whatever that is) can cause problems which I want to minimise for my mother. Also it doesn't say how to prevent the channel change.

5. Black Hole

Black Hole Felinos Monk

RTS is very useful for setting recordings via the Internet (or locally with the WebIF) because it avoids the need for reboots to inject schedule changes. The OTA search wake-up is just another schedule item, so disable-ota (which deletes OTA search schedules when they get reinstated, and therefore requires a reboot unless RTS is turned on) can be much more effective with RTS turned on, and then you won't need the belt-and-braces of the reminder schedule (this can be turned off in settings, and then you have to delete the existing reminder schedule manually). With disable-ota installed, RTS turned on, and the reminder turned off, there shouldn't be any unwanted early-hours disk spin-ups. With reminders turned on (for protection against the odd OTA that escapes disable-ota due to the boot requirement), the 'FOX is certain to spin up at 0420 every night.

RTS can result in occasional runaway recordings, but I've never had any and they are rare. What do you prefer: a slight risk of the very occasional recording not terminating, or a slightly greater risk of a 0430 spin-up for the occasional OTA wake-up that slips through?

The 'FOX starts up on whatever channel was last active. The default anti-OTA reminder sets the channel to Red Button because it doesn't generate disk activity (the disk still spins) and no audio. You can set it to something else if you want, or without the reminder the last channel will be the one the user last had. You can also set a default channel for every boot (which would over-ride the reminder channel) using the boot-settings package.

However, for what you want, I recommend:

disable-ota
    No reminder (remember to remove it from the schedule)
    disable-dso
    RTS

6. mr-b

mr-b New Member

Tx, I think I understand now! Ok I will turn on RTS.
    Does the disable-ota setting "Create reminder to cover OTA period?" need disabling as well as deleting the existing event from the schedule?

7. Black Hole

Black Hole Felinos Monk

Yes