[disable-ota / disable-dso] Taking Back Control!

I thought disable-ota and disable-dso had been made RTS-aware, but I could be wrong. If not, I will have to rethink and a lot of previous writing will have been in error.
The announcement must have passed me by but both are part of the auto process if RTS is active

Sorry if this has been covered. I just spent a few minutes reading the post so far but may have miss something.

I'm trying to understand Disable- OTA.
Firstly I can not see any option for RTS, its not in my advance options or anywhere else I can see.
Secondly, would be be possible to set the channel it set a reminder to?
And finally is it meant to switch back to the channel you were watching.

Thanks for the plugin, I've been using it for a go while now. :)

Firstly I can not see any option for RTS, its not in my advance options or anywhere else I can see.
Its under Adsvanced Settings on the settings page, make sure webif package is up to date
Yes by creating a manual reminder, but there is no need now to have any reminder
And finally is it meant to switch back to the channel you were watching.
No. it stays on the reminder channel

Its under Adsvanced Settings on the settings page, make sure webif package is up to date

Yes by creating a manual reminder, but there is no need now to have any reminder

Thanks so much
So for the RTS, option.
"Web interface version: 1.4.2-13
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)"
NewBitmapImage.png

I like to use it so I can just switch back if I'm watching TV in the morning.

Thanks

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/real-time-scheduling-schedule-without-rebooting.7322/
You can change the channel in the schedule after it has been added, if you want. The Red Button channel is chosen for good reasons. If you want to ensure the 'Fox always starts up on a particular channel, use boot-settings.

Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)
I am using Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)

You probably do need to be using the latest kernel since RTS is tied closely into the Humax firmware data structures
Any resaon for sticking with 1.02?

I don't know what to suggest next

Last edited:
1.02.20 works for me
HDR3 1.02.20 Versions.PNG HDR3 1.02.20 Advanced Settings.PNG

Edit:
and still working on 1.02.20 after updating the webif to the most recent version.

HDR3 1.02.20 Up To Date Versions.PNG

Last edited:
Odd. I have been having HDD problems.
I'll just do my own reminder 4:20.
Thanks everyone

Last edited:
HHD problems. My fan broke, my HDD over heated, and I've had the odd error. Was going to replace it but haven't got around to it.
Thanks for the support.

I set the reminder like Disable-OTA so it changes channel rather than searches for an update, which is easy to switch back rather than wait for the update not to be found....That's right, isn't it?

Last edited:
HHD problems. My fan broke, my HDD over heated, and I've had the odd error. Was going to replace it but haven't got around to it.
Thanks for the support.

I set the reminder like Disable-OTA so it changes channel rather than searches for an update, which is easy to switch back rather than wait for the update not to be found....That's right, isn't it?
No.
It only searches for the update if the HDR-FOX T2 was not in use (i.e. in standby and not recording) and there is a (hidden) search for update event in the schedule. If you are using the machine it won't occur with or without the package or reminders.

As trev says to your earlier post
Odd. I have been having HDD problems.
What are they? Can we help?
Though it would be better to start a new thread for the HDD issues rather than discuss here.

If you are using the machine it won't occur with or without the package or reminders.
It depends what you mean by "using". If you are just watching live telly with it, a message pops up saying "I'm gonna go looking for a software update in a few minutes, unless you cancel", and if you ignore that it takes your telly watching off-line for the duration of the search. If the 'Fox is responding to a scheduled reminder, it doesn't do the OTA search (but the reminder disturbs your viewing unless it is for the service you want). If the 'Fox is responding to a scheduled recording, it doesn't do the OTA search and can leave your viewing undisturbed (if its an HDR-FOX and has a free tuner at the time etc etc), and then the recording could be set up to auto-delete (sweeper or auto-expire).

With no more OTAs coming, it doesn't matter if the 'Fox wakes up in the night to look for something that isn't there. It will still wake up to look though. The main problem it presented was if it happened to find an unwanted update. Now it only matters if the waking up is going to disturb somebody, or interrupt viewing. The only way to relieve yourself of this nonsense is to install disable-ota and reinforce it with RTS.

The scheduled reminder is absolutely no longer required just to support disable-ota. A scheduled reminder is necessary to ensure the EPG is kept refreshed (terms and conditions apply), but that could be at any time of day. 0430 doesn't seem unreasonable.

And there aren't going to be any more OTA updates for anyone soon. (April?)
It has been stated that the OTA update delivery mechanism is going permanently out of service after April, and I don't think there are any scheduled updates that affect us before that. When these units first came on the market with the introduction of DTV, home Internet was not as widespread as it is now, plus just about every current model of STB etc has some kind of Internet content delivery requirement, so firmware updates via Internet are more appropriate now than consuming broadcast bandwidth for them (the only way to push updates at the time).

Last edited:
The scheduled reminder is absolutely no longer required just to support disable-ota. A scheduled reminder is necessary to ensure the EPG is kept refreshed (terms and conditions apply), but that could be at any time of day. 0430 doesn't seem unreasonable.

Also, I seem to recall that, should you retune manually, you need a scheduled event to cause your favourites to be restored by auto-schedule-restore, in which case it might as well override the OTA search event, even though disable-ota with RTS does so better.

I will continue to use disable-ota as I have been, which is to prevent the box waking up to look, rather than using a reminder to block it. I also do not use RTS.
This is not for noise but just to reduce the power cycles on the machine.

I don't use RTS because I don't need it (nearly always use the on-screen interface for scheduling) and it has been implicated in some 'funnies' - rightly or wrongly. So I'd rather the machine did the occasional extra cycle because an OTA check sneaked past the main defence than add a, for me, unnecessary extra package.

Back