Disable - OTA Package

hummybee

Hi all

I have this package installed on both of my Humax boxes.

Sometimes it works fine and other times 'Auto Update' still appears on the Schedule.

Today, for example, on one box it has worked ok but not on the other.

I have tried a manual reboot but it still appears on the Schedule.

What do I need to do, or not do, to make it work every time?

Thanks for your prompt reply 4291.

So will be working fine whether or not it appears on the schedule and nothing else I need to do?

Thanks for your prompt reply 4291.

So will be working fine whether or not it appears on the schedule and nothing else I need to do?
It has always worked for me. As you can see from my signature I am still on 1.02.20 even though Auto Update regularly appears in my schedule.

The Humax reinstates it periodically, and the CF can only remove it at boot time. That's why I have the daily 0420-0440 reminder set to defeat the OTA as well as ensuring the EPG is kept up to date.

Hi 4291 and Black Hole.

Looking at the HDD Temp chart, I don't see any activity around 4.30am so not sure if the package is working ok or the HDD is on for too short a time to show up on the temp chart.

I'm trying to avoid using Black Holes' work-around and would be interested to know how the Disable OTA Package has been designed to work.

Why? The EPG needs periodic updates in case of unattended operation (eg you are away on holiday). See Things Every... (click) section 4.

disable-ota works the same as editing the schedule in the WebIF: when the OTA wake-up is detected in the schedule database, a deletion is queued for action at the next reboot. If the next reboot happens to be the one for the OTA search, it is a moot point whether the Humax goes ahead and performs the search or whether it thinks "I don't know why I've been woken up" and does nothing. If the Humax has remained on for the period between the OTA search being added to the schedule and the 0430 search, then the disable-ota package will have no opportunity to cancel it.

Looking at the HDD Temp chart, I don't see any activity around 4.30am so not sure if the package is working ok or the HDD is on for too short a time to show up on the temp chart.
There are a few different places to monitor your Humax's activity apart from the Temp Chart, there is System Monitoring - CPU, the Diagnostics - Redring.log and the Remote Scheduling - Recent Activity screens

I don't know how it works, it just does. I do have daily wake-ups giving me a two hour window to set a recording whilst I am still in bed (7:00-9:00) :) the second (9:15-9:30) for the reboot. This also keeps my EPG fresh.

Edit: And of course picks up from the RS site.

I haven't noticed any EPG update problems and normally 'power up' manually around 4pm to allow for EPG updates/background tasks to be carried out.

When away I use the auto power up option (set to 4pm).

hummybee : I haven't noticed any EPG update problems
The EPG is updated when the unit is powered up from standby and also when recording from standby (when padding is not applied), so you would have to be away from home and have no wake-ups for AR recordings before the EPG 'freshness' would be affected

I don't use disable-ota myself, and in more than three years of HD & HDR-FOX T2 ownership, my boxes have never received an OTA firmware update. I have also never had the need to set wake-up periods on my boxes in order to keep my EPG updated, this may be due to the fact that I have always used the default AR for my scheduled recordings.

If the next reboot happens to be the one for the OTA search, it is a moot point whether the Humax goes ahead and performs the search or whether it thinks "I don't know why I've been woken up" and does nothing.
Last time I tested this, the latter, and it stayed on for three hours too.

Hi Brian

I agree it's not a big problem and if an OTA firmware update did get 'through', am I right in thinking that if I'm on the latest CF (currently based on 1.03.11), and the update was to 1.03.11, it would not be processed anyway?

Back