Disable the "TV", "DVD" and "AUDIO" buttons on remote?

If you must pick up on that, I will just remind everyone that "handset" is a noun while "remote" and "control" are adjectives. The full description is "remote control handset".
Well, actually no. The OED defines "control" as a noun and a verb, not an adjective. So "remote control" is perfectly accurate English - though I agree that "remote", on its own, is not (although it is of course commonly used and understood). Similarly "microwave" rather than "microwave oven".

I accept everything you say about what has become common usage, but that doesn't mean I'm going to use it. Adjectives have become nouns and nouns have become verbs (eg "to party"), but we don't have to like it.

This deviation (from the topic) has occurred because somebody saw fit to score a cheap point in defiance of the convention we agreed some time ago - that such matters should be confined to The Arms in general and AvP in particular. I really don't think anyone is not going to understand "handset", regardless of what they might call it themselves - and it is a handset, when all is said and done.

Isn't it strange that the most common use and acceptance of the word 'handset', and one that I suspect most people would identify with, refers to a telephonic device, either a telephone handset or a mobile phone. On a quick Google about, I could find no reference to the word 'handset' being used to indicate its use in place of the more common term 'remote control'. In fact that well known word wiki defines it as: "A remote control is a component of an electronics device—most commonly a television set, DVD player, or home theater (sic) system—originally used for operating the device wirelessly from a short line-of-sight distance. " In fact the disambiguation link also says "A remote control is any device used for the remote operation of a machine".

The primary purpose, when responding to a request for help from any member, is to provide said help, not to question the response of anyone who is, to the best of their knowledge, providing that help. Unless, of course, the advice given is obviously incorrect. Terminology is unimportant unless it leads to ambiguity in which case, a correction would then be acceptable. Questioning, or commenting on someone's use of a particular terminology has no bearing whatsoever on the primary purpose of providing help to the OP, and can only be interpreted as mischief making. In the past, I have myself, had differences with BH regarding his somewhat unusual choices of terminology, but have agreed that as long as this does not lead to any confusion then it does not deserve any further comment or criticism within the thread. As BH has already requested, if you must be pedantic about such like, then do it in the Hummy Arms instead of deliberately taking threads off topic with such irrelevance.

Last edited:
I accept everything you say about what has become common usage, but that doesn't mean I'm going to use it. Adjectives have become nouns and nouns have become verbs (eg "to party"), but we don't have to like it.
Oh, I quite agree. "Would of" and "was you" are also common usage, but drive me into a rage even though the meaning is clear.
However in this case I think you are genuinely wrong - I can't find any evidence that "control" was ever an adjective.

This deviation (from the topic) has occurred because somebody saw fit to score a cheap point in defiance of the convention we agreed some time ago - that such matters should be confined to The Arms in general and AvP in particular.
Yes, sorry for continuing the deviation,. but (as OP) it looked to me like the original topic had reached its conclusion anyway so no harm done in some more deviation.

I can't find any evidence that "control" was ever an adjective.
What evidence do you need? Is an adjective not a qualifying word, describing a property of the noun? "Remote control handset" - a handset which controls remotely. I admit to not being totally familiar with the nomenclature of grammar, so maybe "remote" is an adjective and "control" is a pronoun or something - but "handset" is definitely the noun!

I could go so far as to say that "control" refers to each individual button on the handset ("set" comes from the fact that it is an assembly - ie a set of parts).

Learned comment invited (as always).

Back