Disabling OTA

It used to be thought that the HDR is more prone to crashing and misoperation if run continuously, I have left mine on quite a lot and sometimes find them frozen.
Mine used to crash after about 3 weeks or so. With a swap file, it doesn't do it anything like as regularly.
The one time I set it up to power off/on every day over Christmas while I was away, the bl@@dy thing crashed whilst running up to make a recording on Boxing day.

I've uploaded disable-ota 1.0.0 which will, in addition to clearing any OTA events from the schedule, add a reminder covering 04:20 - 04:40 if there is not already a reminder in the schedule starting between 04:00 and 04:29. This will make disabling OTA as simple as just installing this package and then ensuring that a reboot occurs before the next expected OTA. Obvious side effect is that the Humax will then wake up every morning at the OTA time (which it would do anyway to check for updates). The automatic reminder will be on a red channel button if possible so should be silent if there is something listening to the audio feed.

@BlackHole - perhaps you could update the disable OTA references? Thanks.

I've uploaded disable-ota 1.0.0 which will, in addition to clearing any OTA events from the schedule, add a reminder covering 04:20 - 04:40 if there is not already a reminder in the schedule starting between 04:00 and 04:29. This will make disabling OTA as simple as just installing this package and then ensuring that a reboot occurs before the next expected OTA. Obvious side effect is that the Humax will then wake up every morning at the OTA time (which it would do anyway to check for updates). The automatic reminder will be on a red channel button if possible so should be silent if there is something listening to the audio feed.

Hi af123

Disable-ota works fine on both of my boxes as it is so is it possible to make the 'add a reminder covering 04:20 - 04:40' an on/off option?

If not, if I don't 'upgrade' will disable-ota still work as it does now?

Is it really that difficult, for those that want to, to 'add a reminder covering 04:20 - 04:40' to the schedule manually?

Another option would be to reinstate Disable-ota 0.1 as Disable-ota (standard) and the new version could be renamed as
Disable-ota (enhanced) with the description amended to include the adding of a reminder covering 04:20 - 04:40.

If not, if I don't 'upgrade' will disable-ota still work as it does now?
Correct, and you can hold the package to prevent updates if you wish (I'll look up the syntax when I'm back home).

Is it really that difficult, for those that want to, to 'add a reminder covering 04:20 - 04:40' to the schedule manually?

The package should be fit-and-forget and, despite your experience, it is not currently a robust solution for preventing OTAs.

Hi af123.

If you could let me have a note of the syntax to hold and not update that would be good, thank you.

I'd also be interested in the method to block this update.

As my Hummy is in the bedroom, I use disable-ota to prevent it booting up at all overnight and waking me up. I realise that isn't it's intended purpose, but it works for me.

Alternatively, if I were to accidentally update it at any point, is there a way to roll back to version 0.1?

Disable-ota works fine on both of my boxes as it is so is it possible to make the 'add a reminder covering 04:20 - 04:40' an on/off option?
Agreed. One of mine powers off at 02:15 and on again at 06:00 and it definitely does not come on around 04:30. It has not taken OTA updates this week with original disable-ota installed.

This is an illusion. It is not guaranteed that the previous version of disable-ota (ie without the Reminder schedule) will always catch every occurrence of and OTA-check wake-up, and if one of the occasions that it doesn't coincides with an OTA broadcast you have an over-written firmware. Lack of experience of disable-ota failing does not disprove what I am saying.

However, that said, I am ambivalent about adding the automatic Reminder scheduling to the package.

Is this a repeated process, or could the user simply delete the schedule after it has been added when the package is installed?

During a reminder, does the DLNA server run and does auto-decryption happen? I have power on/ off timers set in the morning to decrypt any programmes recorded the previous night: would I still need these, and if I don't, can I tweak the disable-ota reminder to make it a bit longer?

Is this a repeated process, or could the user simply delete the schedule after it has been added when the package is installed?
It's repeated. Given what has been posted here, I'm going to add an option to disable that part of the package but the default behaviour will still be to both remove any OTA timers and install a reminder, if necessary, on each boot.

Maybe there should also be an option which service is set in the reminder.
Update 03/03/2014: The disable-ota custom firmware package now automatically adds the reminder to the schedule if it does not exist. This behaviour can be de-selected in the settings if it is not required by the user.

Update now there.

xotasettings.png

Hi af123

Just wanted to say thank you for adding the 'create reminder to cover OTA period?' yes/no option.

Will update my boxes later.

Back